SAU Community

Rb26 Engine Temps

sr20dettttt

98 is too hot for the street (not dangerous to the engine hot, that'd be 110c+ water and oil temps)

Are you boosting around to get the temps that high? Or just normal off boost driving? If its getting that hot off boost, then your cooling system isn't able to keep up, it should sit a few degrees above your thermostat's opening temperature (High 70's / Low 80's) can someone remind me what this is for an RB26?) if the cooling system is up to scratch.

If you're concerned about it, grab a Koyorad to replace the OEM radiator (if thats what you're running) and make sure that your water pump is doing its job properly.

But first step is, make sure your system is holding pressure... sometimes the radiator caps go bad and push out a lot of coolant into the overflow

Normal off boost driving.

It looks like I got a cheap ebay aluminium radiator installed by the previous owner (I assume its still better than oem?). I don't think its holding pressure as it is pushing coolant to the overflow bottle.

Do I just need to replace the cap? Any super cheap auto radiator cap? Or do I need one of those high performance ones?

Give the upper radiator hose a squeeze when the car is fully up to temp (the hose will be HOT, use a rag) but it should be quite firm to the squeeze. If it's not (you can easily squeeze it in more than say 5mm with your fingertips) then look at grabbing a replacement cap as it could be a $15 fix.

A standard one should be fine.

• Like 2

Rb26 TO4z in traffic today with ac on 80c oil and water temp didn't move off half. But fark the air temp must have been up there as the timing was retarded and thing was idling like a bridge ported rotor.

Oh and never on boost as its laggy as a 3 legged tortoise.

So definitely look at the cooling mate.

Normal off boost driving.

It looks like I got a cheap ebay aluminium radiator installed by the previous owner (I assume its still better than oem?). I don't think its holding pressure as it is pushing coolant to the overflow bottle.

Do I just need to replace the cap? Any super cheap auto radiator cap? Or do I need one of those high performance ones?

Defiantly check the cap, most of the cheap china radiators are far worse than stock.

Saying that those water temps are not off the scale.