SAU Community

[thommo] R33 Build

I've had a string of cars over the past years (R31 rb25, Aristo, BF turbo ute, FG turbo sedan, VY Maloo, E46 BMW) and finally decided I wanted something turbo and manual again. Ditched the BMW daily and went on the hunt for an R33 with basic mods. Ended up hearing of a particular car for sale, contacted the person as we knew each other ages ago and worked out a deal and a few days later it was mine. Basic plan from here is to get everything running nicely and then progress with modifications piece by piece. Ross' soarer was somewhat inspirational to what I could do to my own car. Aim is to get 400hp on 98 or more on E85 if they put it on the bowser in Myaree

1996 R33 rb25det aka white whale

Greddy front mount inter cooler

3 inch exhaust

Pod filter

Lowered King springs with bilstein shocks

Car was in OK condition but tyres were cactus and the air con was not working

By pure chance Owen put up some 34 gtr wheels for sale and I snapped them up straight away.

5v421g.jpg

Prior to getting a car I was searching to find some gtr seats. Managed to get a 32 passenger and an average condition drivers seat. Only a few days later a get a message from a bloke selling perfect 33 gtr seats came through so I grabbed them too. Sadly once I installed them I found out the recline knob doesn't seem to be able to change the position. If anyone knows the fix, feel free to share. 33 seats came out and the 32 ones are now in while the fixing begins.

2n064qf.jpg

Next was to hit the air con. Compressor was removed and a new one installed. Took it to get regassed and it's now lovely and cold. The heater was also bypassed which i wasn't sure if that's because the air con was dead and heat was just radiating in the cab, so I've purchased a new heater core and awaiting a new actuator for the air con to be replaced. Dash out job which will be fun.

25qzqt0.jpg

I couldn't really stand that little front body kit addition so decided to take that off, touch up the little rubbing scuffs and put on a universal lower lip just to make it a bit different than the normal front.

nlev6c.jpg

Washer motor was non existent so I acquired one of those, gave it a tap and that was sorted. Also got some decent wipers online and installed them. Small window chip fixed to prevent window replacement in the near future

2wfpb4j.jpg

Power - it was running an rb20 actuator to give you a constant 0.8 bar but it seemed to be losing power after about 5,000rpm. Car was trying and just not gaining power. Decided an empire performance cat would be a good starting point if the stock one was collapsed. Problem was not fixed but flames were installed. Google Google Google and the rich and retarded thread popped up and straight away I knew that was my problem, boost cut. Sourced an rb25 stock actuator and installed. Car now has a solid 0.5bar, less power but it now has a full rev range of power.

I do want to remove the rear spoiler but the ones I've seen just don't sit that nice on the boot. Must be China copy of another China copy etc

Other items on the list

New rockercover and half moon gasket kit (purchased)

Apexi power fc with handset and boost controller (purchased)

Nismo shifter (purchased)

Hicas lock bar (purchased)

Gktech shifter bush (purchased)

Walbro 460l pump (purchased)

Greddy Bov (purchased)

Fabricate hard intake pipe

Splitfire coils dis-005 (to buy)

Z32 afm (to buy)

800cc+ injectors (to buy)

More updates and burnouts when running 100%