SAU Community

370gt Crossover

Hey Pete, not too sure on the LSD but I thought the setup for the coupe, sedan and crossover is fairly similar especially from a safety and performance point of view. I had a look at the Nissan official page and both the coupe and the crossover's announcement which give detailed description of the features of the cars didn't mentioned anything on LSD. However, I have had my crossover for almost a month now and there has been some pretty bad days here in Auckland and I never had any issue with wheelspin or the traction control kicking in when I accelerate on wet surface. I have a set of TOYO MP-Z tyres on the car which has pretty good thread on them so not too sure if the tyres have anything to do with the wheelspin. As I said in the other post, I did get a few wheelspin previously on my v36 coupe which had a set of Nitto INVOs.

I have never driven a sedan before but drove the coupe previously and now the crossover. I agree with you that the crossover does look more luxurious but I think the coupe too looks really nice and luxurious. One thing I like about the crossover more than the coupe is the amount of tech in the car like I have mentioned previously. The LDP and LDW and intelligent cruise control together with the around view monitor is awesome! I just love backing into carparks now because of the around view monitor! :)

I still think the coupe is alot more fun to drive but considering how much more practical the crossover is for a family with a baby, it is a great compromise for my situation.

Anyway, let us know how you get on with the LSD installation. Will be interested to see how you fit one in.

• 1 year later...

Hi All

I'e had my AWD Crossover here in Auckland for 3 years. Definitely think it was one of the first Crossovers in NZ. I love it but the transmission failed in January. Cost me over $5k to have it rebuilt. It's working well now buy I' tthinking of trading it for a less thirsty model soon. 

Cheers 

Dave 

• 2 months later...

Hi all! Sorry to bump an old post but just wanted to get opinions of actual owners! I recently bought a Crossover at auction in Japan, and it arrives on the 24th. I currently drive a Toyota Crown that has a Japanese head unit, but all I need to use it for is the Air Con (which is in English with pictures) and I stream music from my phone. It looks like the Crossover has slightly more features that the Crown that I would want to use, but i'm hoping that I can get away with just learning where everything is so I have opted to not get the head unit translated to English because of the cost. I'm wondering for people that have not done had theirs translated, do you wish you had?

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

Recently picked up a no frills 2010  j50 370GT

RWD with 69,000 ks. Absolutely love it! The power for the size is just grin factor. 

For work I have a nissan Elgrand AWD  NE51 

And the best thing is they are pretty similar mechanically with the j50 having  more room to work on. Fitted x 2 throttle body spacers that with the dual throttle bodies actually gives it better accelerator response. 

Also changed all the oil & fluids you notice the difference with gearbox crisper and smoother. 

Gotta love japanese imports for build quality. 

20200301_090025.jpg

Edited by MESTAS
To remove rego plate
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all here, good to know there are some local owners that I can ask Q's of if necessary.. and maybe able to help..

I've had a 2011 370 gt crossover 'four' since Feb 2017, bought it up in AKL from City motor group in Penrose. No hassles with the car or the process, though it was top dollar at that time since it only had 16,000kms, half leather, cruise, one down from the top model. It did have a few extras included that they didn't know about at the time, like remote engine start/key fob, as well as a second remote key fob,  a front license plate left-right camera, for VERY closeup parking practices,  and just the passenger side camera in the door mirror!!, it does have reverse cam but it lacked the 'all-round view' which would have been nice but not essential. 

It was a 4.5 import but I have noticed that in certain types of daylight the rear passenger door looks slightly darker than the body. It has the 5 year paint but I wonder if the door was repainted and the metallic 'flic coat' was applied wrong direction or ??.. guessing.. ideas??

For those who haven't got their japanese menus sorted for the entertainment setup. I used the phone camera in google translate to take away the guesswork. There are a lot less options/settings than you will find in the US model infiniti EX. But yes there is a setting to stop the nav mentioning the schools, Bluetooth streaming and handsfree phone is possible with iphone8, Samsung S7 (and A3 i think it is), the USB is only for ipod or usb stick. It will charge the ipod when not in use. All media sources can be controlled (stop, start, pause, next, previous, etc) by the left hand steering wheel "ENTER" knob. The hands-free phone works perfectly, no-one has commented about quality or volume level. I use the little 'shelf' inside the armrest to hold a USB wireless charger for my Samsung S7, and the phone GPS still works. So if you are streaming you will get the google maps gps commands over the music.

I did investigate the options for replacing or translating the entertainment unit, the 2011 onwards require a replacement unit, not software change, and Australian ones are available but they do not include NZ maps.. bumma

The cruise control does regain the speed too dramatically in my opinion, often changing down two gears and max acceleration, which is rarely ever needed. I have found very little difference between the three following distance settings of the laser controlled cruise. Most of the time on the open road I will use the old 'normal' cruise control, keeping the laser for in town or motorway.

The "FOUR" part of the model name is not an off-road option or ability, it is only an extra safety control feature along with the stability control etc. The "snow" button just tries to make it harder for you to spin the wheels when taking off or accelerating on slippery roads, by reducing power response, it's not a 'magic 4WD' switch.

Q1.

There is no spare/space-saver tyre, just a small compressor and a bottle of goo, which I dont want to have to rely on, so if anyone here knows a place that has a used space-saver, please reply back...?

Q2.

For a while now I have noticed a light rattling noise coming from underneath drivers side, like grit/stones bouncing around in a tin can, I am suspecting something to do with the exhaust (corrosion inside causing small particles to break free) but the nissan service people didn't find anything external. I don't think they are too interested anyway. Ideas anyone????

Q3.

Has anyone done any comparisons on fuel.. even though 95 (RON) premium is preferred it seems to be fine on 91 (RON) but then I am not a racer type driver. Any thoughts here??

Q4.

The original Dunlop tyres are still on it, and i have noted they are very noisy on some surfaces, and perfect on other surfaces. Has anyone here done any comparisons.?? I will need to get a new set soon, the dunlops are probably gone hard by now.

FINALLY - Warning VQ engine

The biggest issue I have found out about since googling this car is the fact that the water pump is internal to the engine. So IF the water pump decided to shit itself or even leak a little amount, it will do it into the engine oil. Which ain't good news for the engine itself. So make sure that you keep a close and regular eye on the coolant level, much better to replace a water pump than replace an engine.

cheers to you all > doobre

Edited by doobre

• 4 months later...
On 01/02/2016 at 11:16 PM, talkiet said:

I have a 2009 370GT Crossover here in NZ and it's incredible. I got the one with _ALL_ the toys (Radar cruise, lane departure warnings and avoidance, Intelligent Brake Assist, the birdseye (Aroundview) view camera system) type P package with Leather and heated seats etc.

I enjoy driving (one of my other cars is a Lotus 7 replica that I race a bit) and the crossover is exceptionally good for its size. Far far better than the RAV4 it replaced. Downsides?

I only got the RWD version - wish I had held out for the AWD... The RWD is _BAD_ on loose surfaces. Too much power, too little traction, too much weight and the VDC is overly aggressive.

It's not very big inside considering how large it is overall...

The front LCA bushes are a weak spot (actually weak on the V36s as well) and you can't get the bushes by themselves - it's new Lower Control Arms at $600 NZD each...

Apart from that I love it. It's fast, comfortable and got all the toys. I am still upset that the English conversion is a closely guarded secret hack that is clearly available but wildly overcharged for... I have learnt some of the Japanese instructions but would love an English conversion.

The 2013 models look even nicer - a few little upgrades but mostly in the trim (sunroof) and Blindspot warning type areas. Enjoy!

New Zealand is a lot easier to import and comply... I got mine from Japan and compliance was straightforward - no changes required although I replaced the battery and tyres after I took delivery.

Cheers - N

Hi, I own a similar model to yours with radar cruise and all other cool features. Just wondering if you know what this thing does? It turn on when press on that button. But doesn't respond when the ignition is completely off. Any help will be much appreciated.  Cheers ?

20200927_165821.jpg

20200927_165830.jpg

20200927_165838.jpg

20200927_165715.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 3/8/2020 at 11:08 AM, MESTAS said:

Recently picked up a no frills 2010  j50 370GT

RWD with 69,000 ks. Absolutely love it! The power for the size is just grin factor. 

For work I have a nissan Elgrand AWD  NE51 

And the best thing is they are pretty similar mechanically with the j50 having  more room to work on. Fitted x 2 throttle body spacers that with the dual throttle bodies actually gives it better accelerator response. 

Also changed all the oil & fluids you notice the difference with gearbox crisper and smoother. 

Gotta love japanese imports for build quality. 

20200301_090025.jpg

Where did you source these?