SAU Community

Food Poisoning

GTR-N1

My wife has an exploratory examination today at Hawkesbury Hospital to get better.

I eat an egg etc sandwich at the hospital cafeteria and I got sick.

Oh the irony of it all!

What have you eaten that's 'risky business'?

Today for me, I suspect the mayo.

• 4 months later...

The worst I've ever had was on a flight from cancun to denver after a bad Margarita at cancun airport. They must have used tap water for ice.

I had an initial gurgle in the belly after two hours or so, then it came out both ends while still in my middle seat. Leaped over the guy next to me to run down the aisle. Spent the whole flight in bad turbulence ejecting from both ends.

The delta people were unusually nice and gave me a lift in a van on the tarmac with my bag to the connecting flight hall, where i still had to go through the TSA checks and security. I vomited in a bin and quickly pegged it to my flight to sydney where i dumped my bag in the overheads and went straight to the loos. Didnt bother with finding my seat.

Spent the next 4-5 hours in the toilet. I'd come out every now and then looking like death and the hosties wpuld give me water and panadol. No one came near me.

Spent the last few hours laying flat in the last middle row of 4 on a 747 and would sporadically dry wretch into a spew bag. Got a taxi home and spent a good 4 days in bed/on the couch.

Really got knocked for 6 and I'll never forget it.

I went on a school trip once, and it involved a several hour bus ride out to a processing plant and we were staying in a college type place which had a canteen, so everyone in the morning while having breakfast then had to make themselves sandwiches for lunch from a buffet type setup.

The most popular choice of sandwich was chicken, I on the other hand, having an incling that the bus doesn't have a fridge AND it was January in Central Queensland (40 degrees), chose Salami instead figuring cured meat would be pretty safe.

Luckily it payed off, the sandwiches we all made went into a Styrofoam box into the luggage area under the bus...

Everyone who had chicken got food poisoning.

Seafood in Taiwan , spent all night not knowing what end to point at the bowl, finally a little hairy thing came up, my butt :)

Had a 12 hour work day set up for that morning, no sleep, could not eat and still feeling like crap, longest day in my life and had to fly home the next day.

Food technologists say that risks are higher with...

* Hollandaise sauce

* Bad hygiene on cutting boards

* Chicken that's been left standing or not cold enough from the supermarket or taking too long to get home

* Ice Cream from an establishment that's not busy

* Food in cafes and restaurants that's probably reheated

Any others?

Terrible stories above!!!

Funny Anecdote :-

In the filming of Indiana Jones II in Libya, the entire cast and crew were getting bouts of food poisoning except for the locals and Stephen Spielberg.

SS had ordered a pallet of baked bean cans. Lol

Have had food poisoning a couple of times between myself and my wife from GoVindas... being vegetarian food I maintain it's from poor hygiene...

Also I've been told Onion's are a culprit for food poisoning when used as left overs

Thanks Matt. Hadn't heard of onions.

I do know that gluten sensitivity is often blamed for yeast sensitivity as many items in exclusion diets are in common.

• 7 months later...

Anyone had crypto spiridium? AKA beaver fever. Man that's a bad one, I lost about 2 stone as I just tried to shrug it off thinking the two bob bits would just pass, it didn't really ever go just subsided but every time it came back it got worse, my gums started to weep, in between my toes and fingers dried up cracked and also started to weep blood, I couldn't eat more than two mouthfuls of food without becoming totally full up, my energy wained, I'd have sudden bouts of profuse sweating to the point the entire back of my shirt was wet yet everyone else was normal and I got considerably weaker as I went downhill. This went on for around 2 months before having an "accident" in bed three times in one night  convinced me to see the doc. ?

On the return to the doc after I had given him a stall sample he asked me where I had recently been on holiday? I said nowhere for nearly a year and then he just looked confused, he told me I had a hard shelled microscopic parasitic organism living in my lower intestine feeding on my digestive enzymes. ?

He asked do you drink? I was like yea tell me a bloke who doesn't lol. He was serious, right you need to stop as this thing will have damaged your kidneys massively and what you've got to take to kill them will cause just as much damage. 7 metallic gold tablets later I had stopped with the two bob bits, the sweats took about a month to stop and I couldn't eat properly for around a year after.

I think it was a dodgy take away from a place I'd never used before but found out it was rumoured the people at the establishment had been contaminating food for a laugh with animal excrement.

beautiful...

Edited by paulzy123
Spelling

They are near me, haven't eaten there yet.

KFC was my food poisoning, was down for a week with the shits and spews. It has been 2 years and i haven't touched it since (not such a bad thing really)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GH05T said:

got food poisoning at the sushi train, I got it from the cooked chicken, go figure.

Cooked chicken more dangerous :P

Still has salmonella, but the smell is hidden!

Food inspectors must be having a field day...
Or they're overworked...
Or they're slacking off...
Or they're understaffed...

Over the past year, I've reacted badly to KFC x1, Bad sausage at Braza x1, Ice cream cone x2, Roast chicken x1.
That's enough! 

• 2 weeks later...

Sushi is statistically one of the worst for food poisoning i believe. The moist rice is a breeding ground for bacteria. 

Won't stop me from eating it daily though.

So is "soft serve" ice cream. Riddled with bacteria. Usually a result of them not cleaning the machines either. 

One of my mates got it really bad from Butter Chicken at a certain restaurant here in Canberra. Put him in hospital for a day. 

Another one got food poisoning from.... Frozen coke from McDonalds. Yup... They had never cleaned the machine apparently. 

I legitimately have never had food poisoning.