SAU Community

First R33 Gts T

Shing10

Do you have a link to where this information is posted?? I'd love to get along to one of these.

already posted the links above bud =)

Also try this one, I have not joined it though.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/805226349513454/permalink/958240997545321/

I was also wondering what exactly happened to your midnight purple R33??

Sad looking at that photo :(

Yeah, very sad :(

was a long series of unfortunate things all combined. Basically, wet oily road didn't go well with the hard tires (the list goes on), spun out round a corner and hit light pole.

End of the day I can't blame anyone or anything other than myself though.

on the plus side, insurance did pay out, and possibly more than if i had tried to sell it. and also bought back the wreck cheap and made a profit on that too.

Another pic because sharing pics always makes a thread better =) You need to put some up!

gallery_40758_2432_767996.jpg

I checked out the ling you posted for the drags which is pretty cool, but the second link is to a 'dead' FB page?

Appreciate the last link youve sent as Ive joined that page :).

The car is going in for a full re-spray next week (including the alloys) so when I get her back I'll be putting up a bunch of photos. Im going to take her for a run out to Glen Helen today though - fun fun fun!

Good to hear that you got a good insurance pay out as well - you can never tell w/ insurance companies.

awesome, what colour? Make sure to get some good 'before' pics though!

Who's doing the respray?

I miss the country drives out there, though the hills here a quite fun too =)

That 2nd link isn't a dead page, just a secret page. It's Alice Springs Performance Car Club.

Michael is admin of both groups so message him to add you.

Im keeping her the same colour combination as I love the dark, deep purple against the black alloys.

The respray is being done by P&V panel works - the boss there seems to really know his stuff and the quote was the most competitive.

I'll message MIchael as well.

Whereabouts are you located now?

ah cool, not even putting a little custom touch on it? =) are they colour matching or mixing from code?

They have always had a good rep so must train his staff pretty well.

Paint & Panel did a great job doing the fenders on my old one, though it was a mate doing it so he made sure to do it right =)

I'm in Adelaide now, still talk to a few people up there and visit on the odd occasion.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all.

Just picked up the R33 Skyline after full respray - looks amazing w/ photos to come!

The next thing on the agenda is to get her Dyno tuned and Ive a question around that. If I get her tuned w/ the current autobox in it, and then when I swap the auto out for a manual, would I need to get her tuned again?

I would have thought now, as the tune is purely for the motor/turbo and not really related to the gearbox. Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers....

• Like 1

I'm no expert with conversions, buuut, I am pretty sure you will need a new tune. more than likely a new ecu, though I have no idea what mods you are currently sporting.

There's plenty of threads here about conversions and whats involved so have a look around. They will also highlight some other issues you will encounter and how to deal with them.

Where are you going to get it tuned?

Did you make it out to the Drags yet? what time did you run?

Can't wait for some pics of the new paint!!!

There's a guy in town who has set up, and he has the only dyno in town so I'll be taking it to him.

I don't think I should need a new ecu, as once it's been mapped by the mechanic and the turbo boost changed Im thinking it wont make any difference if it's auto or manual. But yes, I'll be reading quite a bit about it before going ahead.

No, I haven't taken it to the drags - to be honest, drags aren't my thing! I am loving the way the vehicle looks now though, I elected to go w/ a very dark blue and I love the way it looks against the black alloys.

There's minimal mods on the motor: a 3" exhaust from the turbo back and a larger intercooler. I toyed w/ the idea of swapping out the turbo (to a steel bladed one) but have decided to keep it stock. Im not chasing big power, but rather a fun car that is also good for a commute. I think I'll get the turbo set to about 12psi and I'll be happy w/ that. It's a cliche, but the car handles like she's on rails and that's good enough for me. W/ the 19" alloys, HKS suspension and 265/30 on the rear, she is a seriously capable vehicle!

Sounds like me, no need to chase big power if you're never going to use it! might as well just enjoy it =)

What ecu are you using? the stock ecu can't be 'tuned' so not much will be achieved on the dyno unless you have an aftermarket ecu, then you need to be sure the tuner knows how to tune that particular one. There's other little things like timing they can tinker with though and its good for interest sake and to get readings on things like boost curve and afrs through the range, etc.

Who is that has set up the dyno?

I decided not to swap out the turbo wheels till they break, then just get it rebuilt or highflowed.

Sounds like you know that 12psi is about the limit of stock turbo and ecu, should get you close to 190rwkw which is plenty on the roads imo. Easy enough to lose traction or get traction when you want to.

Drags were never my thing either till i went out and had a crack =) bit of fun, something different, good day out with great people. Even just going out to watch is good.

So, apparently the R32 ecu can be tuned, so my tuner will be swapping that in. There's an aftermarket component fitted to the turbo in the engine bay, and Ive decided to get the boost turned up to 12 psi, which should be fine for daily driving and longetivity. You're spot on w/ the c. 190rwkw at 12psi or about 230kw in the motor.

Im also going to get a pod filter put in - purely for ascetic purposes as the previous owner cut the rubber feeding the airbox in order to fit the intercooler. Hate looking at it whenever I open the hood :(.

Dallas is the name of the mechanic/tuner - he's Alice born and bred and well know around the automotive folk I've spoken to.

There are a few items on the market that are an rpm switch. so will activate and de activate at set rpm. You will need something to engage vct as the rb20 ecu doesn't do it.

Your tuner will be able to explain further and what is needed or what he she will do.

• Like 1

Assuming you mean an R32 ecu with nistune..

Having a nistune already in will be good prep for when the stock turbo shits itself, which may or may not be pretty soon at 12psi. (its a bit hit and miss as to how long they last)

Then you can just rebuild it and bump up a few more until the next component maxes out haha.

Yeah I know Dallas well, went to school with him. I didn't realise he still had his dyno and had opened up shop again, thats good news! :rolleyes: Is it still called Street Torque? (or something like that, its been a while)

He's got a bit of a mixed history of reputation. There was an incident with a magna he did a lot of work on which caught fire. The owner tried to blame his work, but he rekons the owner also did some dodgy diy and cheaped out on a number of things. I wasn't involved in the saga at all so don't really know the truth and details of it all.

But in my experience (having known him for over 20 years) he's an honest bloke and will do his best to do a good job and not screw you over.

I have a vid of a Dyno night we had at his shop years ago!

Still waiting for your pics too :yes:

That's really good to hear re Dallas James. Ive been asking around and everyone seems to say the same thing, that's he's honest and will do a good job. So that's a bit of piece of mind. His business is called DBTdyno I believe.

I texted him earlier today and asked about the r32 ecu not being able to handle VCT and he says he's looking into it. Also, I was reading about nistune, and while their website isn't the greatest it seems to indicate that an automatic r32 ecu will be OK for VCT w/ an automatic R33.

The page in question is here: http://www.nistune.com/equipment-products-type2.php

Look at where it says the following: "Note: Manual transmission models only supported. If using an automoatic transmission model R33 Skyline then reportedly the R32 Skyline automatic transmission control module will work"

Yep, Im on days of now so will be taking the Skyline and camera out for some shots over the next couple of days :).

I'd get in touch with nistune directly or Jaustech down here. Jaustech help develop it and are a very reputable workshop.

Tell them exactly what you are planning, including the transmission change, and they will be able to make some recommendations.

Have you already got the ecu? I am sure Jaustech will be more than happy to help source & fit, then to liaise with Dallas throughout the whole process.

Jaustech hey? Thanks for the tip - I'll give them a ring tomorrow and sound things out.

No, I dont have the ECU - I was at Dallas workshop and he has a bunch of them there.

Id been in contact w/ Synergy in Adelaide earlier in this process and they had located a complete conversion kit, quoted me labour costs as well as a Dyno tune and it was very competitive. Unfortunately I cant get down to Adelaide w/ the vehicle until later in the year.

As much as I have faith in Dallas doing the right thing, suss out the age and part numbers on any ecu he 'has laying around'.

Nistune has changed and improved a LOT over the years. You dont want one that is an old version from years ago, much better to get a newer one with updated components and software.

Personally, if the Nistune was installed in the ecu more than 2 years ago I'd be considering to send it back to Jaustech for an update. (but talk to them about that as I really don't 'know' the differences and timeframes)

An old one will work, but so does the first version of windows, but you wouldn't use it..

The vehicle came w/ an APEXI air flow metre already fitted. I hadnt thought about it as I was under the wrong impression as to it's functionality.

We're going to use this, to turn up the boost to 12 psi and optimize air/fuel ratio. No need to swapout ecus (and avoid VCT issues etc). Dallas is also able to make up a pod filter w/ piping and heat shield to get rid of that naf looking stock airbox.

Vehicle is going in tomorrow, so I should be able to post pre tune kw/nm figures and post tune kw/nm figures. Pretty excited about this! Will be getting some photos up of the respray later tonight or tomorrow as well.

Loving this Skyline......what a car!!!!