SAU Community

The ever evolving R32 GTR build

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 5:45 AM, JACKA87 said:

Awesome build mate, just read through it all. Great to see it being done with the goodies and a whole lot of patience! 

cheers mate, the patience has worn thin a few times but I think it's all been worth it :)

So a little bit actually happened on this R&R trip home, not all good but not all bad...

I put her on club rego which significantly reduces the cost of registration and insurance here in SA (win, win)...

After a few minor but frustrating teething issues with injector plugs not actually being standard and dramas bleeding the ATTESSA she was finally turned over (boy had i missed that RB sound)...

She was then put on the dyno for a few hours to run her in and do some basic tuning on 98RON. Very happy with the results on pump fuel, just running wastegate pressure (12-13psi) ended up with 279rwkws from memory, video shows the run before at 275rwkws...

Initial feelings from these turbos is impressive, the response is very transient and feels better than what i recall my -7's did...

Whilst out and about putting a few kilometers on her i was thinking to myself she was feeling a little stiff, just put it down to me being a couple years older than when i last drove her but once i got out for the first time i noticed one side was sitting far lower than the other at the rear, after hopping underneath it appeared as though one shock had compressed and not rebounded, so I got her home and pulled the rears out and sure enough this was the case as seen in the below photo ? So now I weigh up whether to rebuild the rears as i did the fronts (really like the feeling the bilsteins give) or I look into some coilovers... The cars driveable so not a huge urgency...

I dropped her off last night before flying back out to site this morning so fingers crossed the 98 tune will be completed along with the E85 over the next 2 weeks... Very excited to see what some E85 in her guts will do :)

IMG_0670.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

CZUR4677.JPG

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Go MCA!!!

This was what I was going to do...

But the guy who I use for tuning and bits & bobs I can't do here in Adelaide said they'd had issues with MCA recently when there was warranty issues, has kinda put me off ?

I had just been reading up about 'The street Essentials' (shows how long it's been since i looked at suspension) they just used to do 'blue', 'red, and 'gold' haha...

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Yeah they've increased their range to meet market needs, but I feel now they've done that the distinction between the lines are blurred.

yup, exactly what I was thinking whilst perusing their site this morning ??

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

They still get it so right though, I run MCA X-R (not sure what they're equivalent to now) with 10/7 spring rates and they feel less harsh than a set of BC BR 8/6

I don't mind the idea of the 'street essentials' in stealth black...

7 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

I'm a fan of blistein, and if they were well sorted and it drove nicely, why chance it? 

finding someone who will rebuild them is the only thing stopping that from happening...

here in oz it appears everything these days is throw away and replace (boy i sound old saying that) ?

Edited by mr_rbman
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mr_rbman said:

finding someone who will rebuild them is the only thing stopping that from happening...

here in oz it appears everything these days is throw away and replace (boy i sound old saying that) ?

Wasn't white line rebuilding them at least back in the day?

15 hours ago, MBS206 said:

Wasn't white line rebuilding them at least back in the day?

got an email back from Bilstein Australia themselves who actually appear to have bought Quadrant suspensions (in Victoria) so may have a solution, they are calling me back tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got word from the tuner it is currently making 323rwkws @16-17psi... on 98RON

Fuel pump appears to possibly be an issue (Walbro 460) getting very warm... Looking into it further now...

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think I can say I pretty much achieved what I set out to more than 2 years back...

I've got myself a NisTune cable so will try and get some logging done on my next R&R to show the rather impressive response achieved (as they dyno graphs obviously don't show it) given I was set on staying low mount twins. I know I could've achieved so much more with a modern single but I do honestly feel far less disappointed than I had expected to...

Finally got round to fitting the correct boot badges as well...

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_E0766.JPG

IMG_E0767.JPG

• Like 3