SAU Community

The ever evolving R32 GTR build

• 2 weeks later...

So the track car i bought has this fuel system...

Surge tank, Bosch 044 external and Walbro 255 internal...

Obviously drifting allows you to get away with murder but seeing as I do cams events (mainly hill-climbs) this won't be acceptable...

So as I see it I have a few options...

1-) build a 100% sealed box to go around it...

2-) remove surge tank and just fit the 044 in-tank...

3-) possibly fit a clear perspex fire wall from boot to cabin... 

4-) move system to spare wheel well and possibly cut a section out so surge tank can sit down and then just seal the cabin with some sheet metal...

all of these options I see having 'potential issues but am leaning towards option 4...

What would you do?

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 3:49 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I wouldn't rely on a single intake fuel pump on a S13 to be supplying fuel on the track. You'll get into surge issues.

Just leave the current setup and box it up like you've mentioned earlier.

ended up doing this in the end

GTR was in a wedding last weekend, good to get out in some awesome weather.

Been having a strange issue where the car struggles to start, only when on a hill after a drive (note that even after a month without a start on E85 she fires up straight away). Once it's on a flat there's no dramas... Over half a tank of fuel too...

Checked that the pump was still sitting where it should and was all good...

A little baffled...

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

Got to work on my r&r fixing up the body of the SIL80, not the happiest with the end result but given it was my first ever attempt at this sort of thing I shouldn't be too hard on myself, it's only temporary (have fiberglass front & rear wide guards I got with the car) and all up it cost less than $200... The colour isn't even close to matching ?, though the new colour i actually prefer ??

Bogging that rear quarter panel was a absolute pain...

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I took the Sil80 to it's first event last weekend having only driven this thing a couple squirts up the road i knew it'd be pretty quick in a straight line but the corners were going to be an unknown... The wet weather of the hill-climb combined with the horrible 2 way/locked diff and relatively old Hankook RS3's gave me a few 'oh crap' moments but by the second day was finally getting a handle on her, dropped my times by 4-5 seconds by the end...

She's not looking pretty but she's a bit of fun nevertheless.

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1471.PNG

IMG_1473.PNG

• Like 1

Decided to see how I could go about making the TE37's from the GTR fit the standard guards of the S13... (Figured this was the quickest, cheapest and easiest way to go about getting traction)

Seeing I've got fiberglass over-fenders to go on anyway and the rear quarters especially on the passenger side weren't looking too pretty anyway I decided to get some different sized poles out and do a ghetto guard flare, actually turned out better than I expected...

This should aid in traction for the practice track day i'm doing in a couple of weeks and another hill-climb two days later all going well...

Then it will be time to take her apart to look at the diff and fitting the wider front and rear guards...

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

Edited by mr_rbman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Really loving having the GTR at a stage where i just put the corn juice in and drive, plenty still to do but just enjoying her for now which enables me to focus on the sil80...

These pics were taken at an old shed in a brewery back home...

Only downside to driving her quite a bit is having to wash her more often...

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_E1624.JPG

Edited by mr_rbman

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

@robbo_rb180 on the same pads now too!

Should be a good comparison between the two 180SXs :)

I did see that, my next event looks like being Easter so hopefully one track day before that to iron out any other bugs before towing 8+ hours.

9 minutes ago, mr_rbman said:

I did see that, my next event looks like being Easter so hopefully one track day before that to iron out any other bugs before towing 8+ hours.

I'll let you know how mine go as I should be doing a sprint or practice day in Feb. Will be interesting to see the difference between these and Project Mu.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

I'll let you know how mine go as I should be doing a sprint or practice day in Feb. Will be interesting to see the difference between these and Project Mu.

Cool, I'm coming from Intima S/R pads which i was impressed with so definitely stepping it up with the Eligs now