SAU Community

The ever evolving R32 GTR build

On 18/12/2019 at 5:24 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

I'll let you know how mine go as I should be doing a sprint or practice day in Feb. Will be interesting to see the difference between these and Project Mu.

Were they the HC+ or HC800 or Club Racer?

Elig Racing KT111 pads will be on par with Hawk DTC70 and generate sparks haha

• 8 months later...

Well it turns out I stop working away and somehow forget about this page...

Unfortunately working FIFO interstate and COVID hitting basically meant I lost my job very early on in all this (March...)

We were stood down indefinitely without pay whilst I guess everyone saw how bad this would eventually get and when it appeared as though W.A wasn't opening their borders any time soon they made quite a few of us redundant, i was in the first round, not too bad in the end consider i only did 1.5 swings with this mob...

So I spent the first 2 months doing a heap around the house trying not to spend money, wasn't too bad at first but after 5 or 6 weeks things were getting done and the jobs left on the list required I spend money...

I began also looking for work but that was extremely difficult obviously, I tried start my own little welding business out of my shed which brought in a little work but certainly not enough to survive on...

I then got a call from a mate who runs a performance car workshop here in Adelaide offering me a bit of welding work (these guys built the Integrated Motorsport R34 GTR time attack car) as well as a few other well known cars, so even though I wasn't going to be working directly on those cars I thought how good an opportunity to be surrounded by all these awesome cars at work... This kept me quite busy for a while but has died off a little in the last month or so...

In the meantime I was able to get my shed mostly finished but have held off on the hoist until i get some more regular work coming in and I know the cash-flow is back, I will then look to bitumen the driveway too.

Enough dribble, here's a few pics...

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

• Like 7

I ended up reluctantly selling my other car the S13 Sil80.

I didn't even advertise it and I got back what I paid for it. I had sold off >$3000+ of bits and pieces too that i got with it so made a little profit.

I probably really didn't need to sell it but the welding work had started drying up again and this guy was pretty keen so I gave him a price and wouldn't budge, ironically a few days later I got another FIFO job offer which I'm negotiating terms with now so really looks as though i'll take so I definitely didn't need to sell it (I just hate not having a nice buffer) there for worst case scenarios... 

Now with the stupid prices early 90's JDM cars are chasing I don't know what I'm going to get to replace her down the track :-/

Cause everyone loves a shed skid...

https://youtu.be/dbsIvuOQ9BI

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The GTR hasn't seen much work, mainly just driving her as much as I can, All Jap day down Glenelg and basic servicing...

I have fitted a little baffling to the cam covers and begun making a catch can but that's it to date...

I used stainless as that's all I had lying about (this is roughly 2.5L) once I get some ally i'll make up one that's 3L minimum and should still fit with the battery, I don't want to move it to the boot...

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2030.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

Last little bit of an update to get to the present day is I went to that last roll racing here in Adelaide.

It was a pretty wet day/week prior but didn't get cancelled til that evening, they got us to drive the track to try dry it up but it was too dangerous for those pesky RWD's... So postponed to the following Saturday night and it was the warmest day in Adelaide for months (mid 20's, so perfect)...

It was actually a lot more fun than i expected, got a ton of runs but definitely left me wanting more power, lol.

I ended up getting a secondhand set of Nitto NT01 (275 x 35 x 18) that i'd fitted prior and they were actually fouling pretty bad on my inner splash guards with the caster I was running so having the event cancelled allowed me to correct that but now i'm not running the ideal caster I want to :-/

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been playing around a little with the tig, made this catch can with stainless I had lying around.

I don't want to move the battery so room will be my enemy.

This is around 2.5L~ but I will do a second revision and make it 3L minimum and out of ally, as you'll see I can afford a bit more length either side...

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_E2906.JPG

Edited by mr_rbman
more pics

I also wanted to practice getting my pie cuts right and figured I'd change up the look of my exhaust tip at the same time...

Not 100% sold on the look, thinking I should have done one less pie segment but it's an easy fix if it continues to bug me...

IMG_E2842.JPG

IMG_E2847.JPG

IMG_E2885.JPG

IMG_E2887.JPG

IMG_E2889.JPG

IMG_E2892.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mr_rbman said:

yep...

third and fourth pic shows a baffle then steel wool?!?

Yeah, but the blow by gas will go straight over that and out the outlet , I was wondering if there was another baffle. From what I see in that photo that baffle may as well not be there if that is all that is in there, which you just confirmed  

I will be interested to see how it goes 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 9:03 PM, Ben C34 said:

Yeah, but the blow by gas will go straight over that and out the outlet , I was wondering if there was another baffle. From what I see in that photo that baffle may as well not be there if that is all that is in there, which you just confirmed  

I will be interested to see how it goes 

mmmmm interesting...

So far I'm not getting virtually anything in the can...

Assumed it was just due to the motor being healthy (and no stupidly excessive driving) but now I'm questioning my design...

• 3 weeks later...

Pulled the GTR out of retirement over the weekend for a hillclimb.

Managed a surprising second place, in my class.

Running some 5 year old secondhand Nitto NT01's which were ok once the track heated up but with not heat in the track they were definitely showing their age.

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2996.JPG

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...