SAU Community

The ever evolving R32 GTR build

4 hours ago, mr_rbman said:

Any of you guys got recommendations on where to source 3" SS mufflers &/ resonators?

Have bought my bends, flexi joints, V-bands etc. from bend brothers but they don't do the above...

Firstly, 3” for whole exhaust?  Is that going to be big enough??  Personally I’d be going bigger but you may have done all the calculations on what you need.

I got all my stuff through my local exhaust joint. He just sourced what I needed.

10 hours ago, Shoota_77 said:

Firstly, 3” for whole exhaust?  Is that going to be big enough??  Personally I’d be going bigger but you may have done all the calculations on what you need.

I got all my stuff through my local exhaust joint. He just sourced what I needed.

This is for the Evo X, not the GTR... Have 3.5" on the GTR... 3" will be more than enough, need to keep the SST in one piece ;)

Have spoken to a local guy and he's seeing what he can source for me...

15 hours ago, mr_rbman said:

Any of you guys got recommendations on where to source 3" SS mufflers &/ resonators?

Have bought my bends, flexi joints, V-bands etc. from bend brothers but they don't do the above...

Can try bestmufflers.com

they usually have a decent selection 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mr_rbman said:

Hakkan at Performance Exhaust in Northmead, NSW has bought all the tooling from the old SMB older/shop. He now reproduces them.

Those mufflers can shut up a rotary pretty well. I run one on the shit box and I can dare say it's the most quiet R33 with proper exhaust on (excluding 3.5" Jasma compliant bullshit exhausts with 2.5" restrictor in them).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mr_rbman said:

This is for the Evo X, not the GTR... Have 3.5" on the GTR... 3" will be more than enough, need to keep the SST in one piece ;)

Have spoken to a local guy and he's seeing what he can source for me...

Phew!  Sorry I should have realised you meant for the D-Evo! 

14 minutes ago, Shoota_77 said:

Phew!  Sorry I should have realised you meant for the D-Evo! 

Haha, no good pickup though.

Looking forward to giving this a crack on my next R&R, Minus the Tomei dump pipe it will be a full custom system so should be a good little project.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/05/2021 at 8:53 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Hakkan at Performance Exhaust in Northmead, NSW has bought all the tooling from the old SMB older/shop. He now reproduces them.

Those mufflers can shut up a rotary pretty well. I run one on the shit box and I can dare say it's the most quiet R33 with proper exhaust on (excluding 3.5" Jasma compliant bullshit exhausts with 2.5" restrictor in them).

I second this. I’ve got a 3 1/2 inch system with performance exhaust mufflers on it and it’s not even as loud as a clapped out Mitsubishi Magna

• 5 months later...

Been driving the GTR quite a bit lately and a bit of an issue has arisen that I'm hoping to get some thoughts on...

It has warm/hot start issues...

Basically starts first time every time on E85 when cold but after a good drive, turn her off and then go to start her back up it turns over but doesn't fire without giving it a lot of throttle for a significant amount of cranks... almost like it's flooded...

Items I think may be of relevance:

Nistune ECU, Nismo AFM's Bosch 1250cc injectors...

Cheers!

What air temp sensor are you using?

some after market ecus have issues starting with the slow reading air temp sensors and you have to rev them until the temperature of the sensor normalizes 

On 12/11/2021 at 12:28 PM, r32-25t said:

What air temp sensor are you using?

some after market ecus have issues starting with the slow reading air temp sensors and you have to rev them until the temperature of the sensor normalizes 

AFAIK it's standard but will delve a little deeper to confirm..

• 11 months later...

Wow, 1 year exactly to the day since I last updated this 🙃

Quite a bit has happened, certainly in the last 6 months...

I took her out to roll racing in July I think it was and on one of my early runs lost all power (felt like a cooler coupling popped off) went back to the pits, couldn't find anything popped off so assumed it was a small split or something opening under boost so I parked it and watched the rest of the night and then drove home 😕

Some noises were heard that probably weren't ideal getting closer to home (sounded supercharged).

I started to pull things apart in the following days and do some investigating to eventually find that the rear turbo had pooped itself.

After much back and forth with the guy who built the turbos originally I finally agreed to rebuild it only to get it back with some slight shaft play (more than the front one that wasn't touched), I've since had them inspected by a third party and told they're ok but those three months or so dealing with that issue left me even more deflated and dreading attempting to put the twins back on (was a pain in the ass just pulling them off...)

So I made the decision that I and many others say they never will and have gone down the dirty single path... Much to the delight I'm sure of people like @Dose Pipe Sutututu who has been pestering me for years and @BK who took me for a ride in his 2.8 and 2.6 powered GTR's with Precision 6466's not too long ago when I was in the Alice for work.

My credit card will take a little while to recover me thinks after a real workout over the Black Friday sales...

I have gone with:

• Garrett G30-900 (1.01) V-Band
  • Artec Manifold - Reverse mount
  • Titanium stud kit
  • 45mm Turbosmart Wastegate
  • Link G4X ECU (with all the typical sensors)
  • NZ EFI Cam trigger kit
  • EFI Solutions R35 GTR coil kit
  • PRP turbo oil drain

I have begun the install and am already running into a few issues I wasn't expecting (no surprises with me 🙃)

• The PRP drain - the threaded fitting supplied doesn't screw into the block (too small)
  • I naively thought I could leave my standard power steering reservoir in the stock location, of course not so trying to work out how I'm going to get that to work, pretty sure I've seen people put them where the emission crap goes (have now removed all that today) but I'd just bought a new high pressure hose from Nissan and it doesn't appear as simple as extending the lines to the front of the engine bay... 🤔
  • There's three coolant lines that go behind the head, trying to work out which of those I use and others I need to block, with no visual on them (under the plenum) is a pain...
  • Whilst I'm very impressed with the Artec manifold and it's quality, one of the things they go on about is the ease of installation but that certainly isn't the case, for me anyway... The titanium nuts on the lower half of the flange are basically impossible to get a ring spanner or socket on to, if they were a conventional nut I could get an open ended spanner on to them but that isn't the case 😕

Certainly glad I have the next month or so off to hopefully get the majority of this sorted, lots of fab etc. to do and then to see whether third gear goes first or the bottom end 🤪

thumbnail_IMG_5798.jpg

Edited by mr_rbman
  • Like 2

By the way, I found the PRP turbo drain to be useless. The material is way to thin to weld.  I made my own out of 19mm stainless and associated fittings. Check my build to see what I did if you wanted ideas. 

34 minutes ago, Shoota_77 said:

found the PRP turbo drain to be useless

And oddly similar to ones on aliexpress for a fraction of the price.

Photo shows a fixed fitting, yet comes in a bag for you to cut off and weld on yourself lol.

Friend bought one, wasn't impressed.

38 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Photo shows a fixed fitting, yet comes in a bag for you to cut off and weld on yourself lol.

They give you zero instructions either so you just have to work it out for yourself.  The tube is about as thick as a Coke can so try as I might, I could not TIG it without blowing holes in it.  Straight in the bin and made my own.

20220329_214142.jpg.68e143dfabbbda9852722ddbffd414b9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

yep, definitely not impressed....