SAU Community

The ever evolving R32 GTR build

So finally got in touch with the engine builder.

Block is a write off, so 2 options..............

Sleeve current block and machine to suit current pistons as they are still in good nick... (~$1000)

Or source an 86 / 86.5mm RB26 block and machine to suit current pistons... ($???)

Any thoughts about which direction I should head??????????

Edited by mr_rbman

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:17 PM, mr_rbman said:

No word yet on my block :34_rolling_eyes: but i did receive these pictures from my mate earlier today :91_thumbsup:

Can't wait to get some sticky rubber on these and have them fitted up :15_yum:

IMG_9890.JPG

IMG_9891.JPG

Sorry if I didnt look in the right spot - did you get the rims re-coated?  If so is it powder coated.  I only ask as I have some Bronze CE28's I want to turn into titanium silver CE28's.

20170627_162326.jpg

5 minutes ago, djr81 said:

Sorry if I didnt look in the right spot - did you get the rims re-coated?  If so is it powder coated.  I only ask as I have some Bronze CE28's I want to turn into titanium silver CE28's.

20170627_162326.jpg

nah i just had a mate colour match as closely as possible (Rays don't share their colour codes)... Also read painting with a bake is more durable than powder-coating when it comes to rims...

Only my opinion but i reckon the bronze looks 100 times better than the sliver FWIW.....

On 2/22/2016 at 8:23 AM, mr_rbman said:

Well ever since my appreciation of Japanese cars started in the early 2000's the R32 GTR was always the ultimate dream car for me but was never quite within reach (that old saying if you can't afford to buy two then don't buy one) boy is that soooo true.

So I've had a few jap cars before purchasing this one.

R32 Gtst which I bought pretty stock, built an RB30 twin cam and had a bit of fun.

Evo VII which was a great piece of kit.

R32 Gtst with a SR20DET which was a wide body track car, great fun but never got to use it enough.

Datsun 1200 sedan, awesome little old school cruiser.

But the bug for speed had started to come back and life's circumstances had brought me to the stage where buying one was more realistic and I figured if I were to get one now was the time as they just seemed to be increasing in price (now even more so with the yanks getting access to them)

So I started searching around January 2015.

Basically wanted to find something local (S.A), late model (93/94) or something with a rebuilt motor.

I ended up after around 4 months of searching finding this 89 model with a fully rebuilt motor.

That probably in hindsight blinded me to its short comings as in 4 months of searching this was the closest to fitting my criteria that I'd come across, I sooner more recently found out that whilst the build was definitely done all the bolt ons and engine fitting was done by the owner and it looks after close inspection to have been a rush job for sale. To which I am now slowly going over and fixing.

I've probably jumped forward a little......So I picked her up the Thursday before Easter and no less than four hours later travelling down the same road I venture at least once a week skippy decides to jump out and give me a nice little surprise resulting in what you see below. Thank god I insured it before picking it up.

After putting it in the shed and going away over Easter it gave me a chance to calm down and see it as a positive, as I mentioned earlier I bought the car mainly due to its rebuilt motor.............the body was certainly not clean, straight but it was certainly showing its age. Insurance ended up covering half the car being resprayed and I decided to get the rest minus the boot/rear resprayed whilst it was in at the shop.

Can't work out how to save this post so i'll come back tomorrow and edit to finish.....

post-16187-0-42703100-1456116970_thumb.jpg

post-16187-0-99455200-1456117029_thumb.jpg

post-16187-0-11004100-1456118159_thumb.jpg

post-16187-0-63449500-1456118185_thumb.jpg

post-16187-0-66390000-1456118350_thumb.jpg

post-16187-0-52086800-1456118391_thumb.jpg

post-16187-0-65246400-1456118431_thumb.jpg

Hey. He is very cool. I always dreamed of such a machine. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a suitable option in Melbrune. Maybe someone will advise?

• 2 weeks later...

So I spent a few days of my R&R putting things back in the engine bay and trying to tidy up items that i'm not replacing, time consuming but hopefully all worth it in the end.

Went with some Nankang Ns2r's for the TE37's in TW120, have had the TW180 versions before and liked them so these can only be better right ;)

Picked up a head which is <1000kms old, has a mild port job, cams and valve springs etc... I already had purchased cams and valve springs so now i weigh up whether i sell the tomei items or keep them possibly to build up my old head one day...

Block is receiving a sleeve job on all 6 cylinders currently...

The previous owner / mechanic did a chop job when removing the motor previously so a/c lines were just cut and compressor wasn't even sealed, needless to say it's FUBAR... So now i'm looking into how I go about getting a/c all up and running before motor goes back in and of course gts-t  compressors aren't the same, secondhand GTR compressors are like hens teeth and brand new they're ~$1200 :34_rolling_eyes: There's a few units on AliExpress for ~$600 but i'm incredibly reluctant to go down that path...

IMG_9935.JPG

IMG_9945.JPG

IMG_9948.JPG

IMG_9953.JPG

IMG_9954.JPG

IMG_9955.JPG

• Like 1

Nice. I’m in the same boat.. although I’m doing most of the prep work myself. How did you go abouts taking all the bits and crap out of the engine bay.. eg booster, harness etc. how did you label them and the bolts and nuts? I am literally duct taping all the nuts and bolts to everything they belong to. 

Personally, I think paint prep is really easy.. it’s taking all the shit out and putting it back in the correct orders my concern.. especially AC!!! Did you take any pics etc while you were taking the bits out?

1 hour ago, Predator1 said:

Nice. I’m in the same boat.. although I’m doing most of the prep work myself. How did you go abouts taking all the bits and crap out of the engine bay.. eg booster, harness etc. how did you label them and the bolts and nuts? I am literally duct taping all the nuts and bolts to everything they belong to. 

Personally, I think paint prep is really easy.. it’s taking all the shit out and putting it back in the correct orders my concern.. especially AC!!! Did you take any pics etc while you were taking the bits out?

Do all of this and then some. Lots of before pics. And anything that comes apart gets labelled and put in a sandwich bag lol garage will look like a bomb hit it until you start putting the car back together.

1 hour ago, WantGTR said:

Do all of this and then some. Lots of before pics. And anything that comes apart gets labelled and put in a sandwich bag lol garage will look like a bomb hit it until you start putting the car back together.

This is exactly what i did ^^^ sandwich bags labelled are a god send but u still end up with things leftover :34_rolling_eyes::7_sweat_smile:

You're right, that is probably the easy part but i was in a situation where i had to have the car at a workshop to remove the motor, then nowhere to prep the car at the workshop and no car to tow it back home so was just easier pushing the car almost next door to have the bay sprayed..... and prepped.....

Fair enough mate totally understand.

How much of a bitch was it to refit abs and bleed it etc? 

Also, is it possible to remove the ac lines without taking the gas out? I’ve tried calling a few ac guys to come and take the gas out but they say I need to bring car.. wtf... I’m trying to not dump that shit in the atmo.. but I might have to cos I can’t find anyone competent enough.

ABS is one things that isn't back in yet, have heard bleeding that is a nightmare so not looking forward to it...

My motor was rebuilt by the previous owner where they just cut the a/c lines and basically ruined the whole system, i'm in the process now of trying to chase bits and pieces down in order to try and have a/c running when the car is back together...

Don't get caught releasing that stuff to atmosphere, not good...