SAU Community

Story Time

GoHard

Hey guys.
Ill try to keep this ‘as in a nutshell’ as I can, but I would like to share my experience with ya. I dunno where this belongs, if its not here you will let me know, im sure.

My love for skylines started when I was about 12 years old and my older Sisters bf got a (fairly new at the time) R33 GTST. I loved the look of this thing and nagged my sister to let him take me for a spin. Lets just say i found out it was fast as hell too… I was a happy boy with a dream to own one of them one day. To keep this all in that nut shell, that day finally happened 13 years later when I finally could buy this:

post-84169-0-24877300-1456216747_thumb.jpg

I was over the moon when I got it, only to have that feeling shattered the very next day to find out the 2 cylinders were down 50psi. Cool, 12 months later I got a second hand motor, threw it in and the radiator didn’t like the commotion and decided to leak. No worries, new radiator and im laughing… for a week. My car has gone from going and sounding really well to not so much. Studs broken off front and back of new motor. Awesome, extract studs and put all back on. 2 weeks later I start my car up after work and it SCREEEEEAAAMED at me. WTF is THAT??? Oh… That’s my oil pump just SCREAMING for no apparent reason (inspected it… looked fine?) Fantastic. New oil pump on there and bobs my aunty.

That’s the nutshell version of my beginnings… now what happened over the next few years between the beginning and the end is also really messed up. Ive had a hell of a ride the last few years but they aint skyline related so lets just skip to the end. My car went pretty fkn quickly from this:
post-84169-0-73599300-1456216333_thumb.jpg
to this:
post-84169-0-19573500-1456216913_thumb.jpg

Driving to work up Macquarie Pass (Really fun for a Sunday drive, ticking time bomb for a weekly commute) and some young pr*ck in a work ute, loaded with tools and armed with a bull bar, took a corner too quick and come on to my side of the road and that was that. The only thing I had time for was to close my eyes. He caused a bit of a mess so in the end we had 4 police, 2 fire trucks, 2 tow trucks all cramming the pass for everyone.

I had a sore neck and a sore toe (was only wearing thongs) and said no to an ambulance as I didn’t think I needed one, and didn’t think we needed any more emergency vehicles clogging the road so I just said “naah its just whiplash” done the police things, jumped in the tow truck and got the towie to drop me home.
post-84169-0-70087300-1456217051_thumb.jpg

Once home I thought… you know what? This aint my fault so if this sore neck does turn out for what ever reason to be something worse than whiplash… im covered as hell so I went into hospital about 3 hours after the accident.
BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE! All 7 vertebrae in my neck were broken. 6 were fine, just chips or something but my C2 was fractured in 2 places. I got transferred to Wollongong hospital as the one I was at didn’t have a neurosurgeon. MRI results come back and I find out the good news, the broken ‘piece’ hadn’t moved so I didn’t require surgery. Stayed for another night to make sure all is good and got discharged with a cervical collar I have to wear for the next 6 weeks. The only time I’m allowed to take it off is when I’m putting the waterproof one on to shower.

That’s about it for now. I’m nearly 3 weeks through the 6 week collar journey and let me tell you… these things are annoying. Expesh sleeping.

Morals? Careful on the road, there’s f*ckwits everywhere and always get yourself checked out after an accident, you never know… whiplash might not be whiplash. It will not hurt straight away so don’t rely on pain to tell you to go to the hospital, just go. Theres probably heaps more morals but Im not a computer person and I just typed this novel and a for sale add you need to check out: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/463161-r33-gtst-s2-parts-nsw/

post-84169-0-90268700-1456217526_thumb.jpg

post-84169-0-03680900-1456217692_thumb.jpg

post-84169-0-06688800-1456217386_thumb.jpg

And to anyone wondering, this is why my toe was sore (wearing thongs) looks like my knee punched a hole in the dash too!
post-84169-0-45374900-1456217860_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Good son of rajab. It looks like you're lucky to be here telling the story. Hope you recover well and in good time.

Thanks mate. MRI results say i should be fine, im just grateful I'm walking and touching. The docs were pretty amazed I have no neurological(?) damage. Go back in 3 weeks to see if i can take this bloody thing off my neck or not.

I knew I forgot one of the main morals! Lets just see if we can all work this one out from a picture...

post-84169-0-26757800-1456222014_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks mate. MRI results say i should be fine, im just grateful I'm walking and touching. The docs were pretty amazed I have no neurological(?) damage. Go back in 3 weeks to see if i can take this bloody thing off my neck or not.

I knew I forgot one of the main morals! Lets just see if we can all work this one out from a picture...

attachicon.gif20160208_151610.jpg

Am I on the right track with, um maybe I shouldn't of removed that air bag[emoji85]
  • Like 1

I think we are all missing the point.... With the massive insurance payout you will now get, when are you buying a GTR?

Have you forgotten where you live? The only thing Im gonna see out of this is 10g for my car (Id rather the car) and loss of wages. Hell, I was casual full time at a company that dont fk around so I have probably lost my job. Compensation only gets paid to a 10% or more imparement at the final stage of healing. If you know something I dont know, Im all ears. It was even a company vehicle that done it.

Have you forgotten where you live? The only thing Im gonna see out of this is 10g for my car (Id rather the car) and loss of wages. Hell, I was casual full time at a company that dont fk around so I have probably lost my job. Compensation only gets paid to a 10% or more imparement at the final stage of healing. If you know something I dont know, Im all ears. It was even a company vehicle that done it.

I would be going to see one of those lawyer mobs like slater and Gordon, Maurice Blackburn etc. No win no fee. If they don't think you are entitled to any compensation they will let you know. I believe you will be entitled to a reasonable amount especially if you do end up losing your job. Definitely worth a try. Your injuries aren't what I would consider minor. At this stage you don't really know exactly how long it will take for your injuries to heal 100% and for you to be pain free.
  • Like 1

I would be going to see one of those lawyer mobs like slater and Gordon, Maurice Blackburn etc. No win no fee. If they don't think you are entitled to any compensation they will let you know. I believe you will be entitled to a reasonable amount especially if you do end up losing your job. Definitely worth a try. Your injuries aren't what I would consider minor. At this stage you don't really know exactly how long it will take for your injuries to heal 100% and for you to be pain free.

My Mum works for a company that has their own lawyer, and she reckons it wont be worth it. I can claim for pain and suffering I think. Theres been a bit of that. I ended up back in hospital less than a week after it happened and got thrown in the ct machine for the 4th time. Gave me an allclear with some valium and some serious painkillers. Endones anyone?
  • Like 1

Add to that loss of income for however long it is. Up to you but I think it would be worthwhile talking to an independent lawyer and getting a professional opinion. You will then know where you stand.

Yeah cheers for the advice. I might just do that, i like the fact that if you DO win the fee is like 50%

Wanna know something else crazy? This bloke aint getting charged for this. His work mate was behind him so I reckon he was showing off "look how fast i can go down the pass" "what happened do ya? Thought you got lost?" Typical manly bs but the cop put it down to 'too fast for the conditions and poor choice of gear'

If that alone results in crossing double white lines, it was negligence... right? Ive been in contact a couple of times with the copper on scence and he basicly told me because i didnt have surgery, he wont be charged. Wtf is that? Im not worried about that because I know its bull sh*t and i will be taking this further.

If i was a cop and he done that... and even MISSED the cop, we all know he would be getting the book thrown all over them. Both of my parents were cops, as i say. Once i get a bit back on my feet i will be taking that one further. The cheek of the system these days, I swear!

Yeah cheers for the advice. I might just do that, i like the fact that if you DO win the fee is like 50%

Wanna know something else crazy? This bloke aint getting charged for this. His work mate was behind him so I reckon he was showing off "look how fast i can go down the pass" "what happened do ya? Thought you got lost?" Typical manly bs but the cop put it down to 'too fast for the conditions and poor choice of gear'

If that alone results in crossing double white lines, it was negligence... right? Ive been in contact a couple of times with the copper on scence and he basicly told me because i didnt have surgery, he wont be charged. Wtf is that? Im not worried about that because I know its bull sh*t and i will be taking this further.

If i was a cop and he done that... and even MISSED the cop, we all know he would be getting the book thrown all over them. Both of my parents were cops, as i say. Once i get a bit back on my feet i will be taking that one further. The cheek of the system these days, I swear!

I hear you. Cops take the side of the crime these days. Friends of mine have used those no win no fee lyers before and I'm pretty sure the fee in the end was 15-20% of the settlement. Good luck with it all.

You will be surprised at what they will pay.

Especially since you broke your neck.

I think we are all missing the point.... With the massive insurance payout you will now get, when are you buying a GTR?

Can't sue for pain and suffering.

Cops don't do shit. I was almost killed on my bike by an unlicensed, uninsured driver and he got a simple 'fail to give way' haha, I spent a week in hospital and had 3 surgeries. Let alone my written off bike.

f**kers.

Happy you're ok mate.

• Like 1

Can't sue for pain and suffering.

Cops don't do shit. I was almost killed on my bike by an unlicensed, uninsured driver and he got a simple 'fail to give way' haha, I spent a week in hospital and had 3 surgeries. Let alone my written off bike.

f**kers.

Happy you're ok mate.

You can claim for pain and suffering, but only for pain and suffering AFTER 100% healing.

Taken from MAA website:

"Non-economic loss (pain and suffering)

If you have a serious injury resulting in permanent damage, you may be able to claim for non-economic loss which is compensation payment for pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. You are only entitled to this payment if your permanent impairment is assessed as more than 10 per cent.

If you're entitled to claim for non-economic loss, the amount paid will depend on how your injuries are affecting your life."

As for the justice system, did you dispute it? LAC? Internal Affairs? Ombudsman? Im curious how far gone this system has been turned upside down. I went through a yellow light and the fine was $400 (didnt pay it, took it to court and won) but before the court day someone done a hit and run and was charged less than half of a fine for not stopping at a yellow light. I can't understand the justification. : (

Edited by GoHard

remove airbag

use harness

Had Recaros in it too. I guess I made the decision to have a broken neck rather than looking like a tool driving around the streets. I even did a half arsed job a couple of years ago on these forums asking if anyone wanted to swap a s2 wheel for a momo race as i didn't really think it was a necessary mod (car came like that) ah well Edited by GoHard

its a good lesson for fellow sauers not to remove their airbag/ buy a car with the airbag removed.

there for a reson

in saying that i removed my airbag wheel from my gtr.... but i only drive it onto the trailer to tow it the the track ( so dont listen to me listen to the OP)

I would be talking to the cop's boss, to his station commander. You broke your neck in several places, how that is treated by the hospital should not be relevant. Although, to be fair, if you still had the original steering wheel with airbag you would have fared a lot better. But still, the other guy screwed up badly, and injured somebody. He should be punished for it.

Had my car written off by somebody who turned across my path, I was doing 10km/h UNDER the speed limit too. Police said it's a minor incident and left. Ridiculous. Other driver should have been charged with neg driving at a minimum, he didn't check for oncoming traffic before turning. Although I guess it's OK to just say "whoops, sorry" and expect no repercussions these days? Thankfully, I wasn't injured.

its a good lesson for fellow sauers not to remove their airbag/ buy a car with the airbag removed.

there for a reson

in saying that i removed my airbag wheel from my gtr.... but i only drive it onto the trailer to tow it the the track ( so dont listen to me listen to the OP)

Yeah but I've been some of your cars.. there's a lot more to worry about than no airbags (the nut behind the wheel is the biggest problem :P )