• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

PranK

2016 Lexus Gs F Review

6 posts in this topic

At $148,800 plus on-roads, Japans latest large-bodied super sedan, the 2016 Lexus GS F, land price wise in the barren middle ground between the sub-$100K Aussie buck-bangers from Ford andHSV and pricier, big V8 rear-drivers from Germany that ask for a $185K entry point with BMWs M5 PureEdition.

Lexus Australia claims that its latest high-performance figurehead has no logical rival and, true, it's tough digging up a parity package of luxury, size and go-fast aspiration M3s and C63s are smaller mid-sizers, and Audis S6 lacks the GS Fs high-performance genes and vibe, and Jaguars stable is bereft of a suitable feline substitute until the XF R arrives.

Its a party of one for Lexus, then, and this situation could well be both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is, of course, owning a niche all to yourself. The curse, though, is that the GS F is circled by quasi-rivals that all, in different ways, offer benchmark measures of luxury, performance, driver enjoyment and value. The risk the GS F runs, then, is that its adequate in many areas without really excelling in any.

lexus-gs-f-2016-launch-34.jpg

The underlying impression of the GS F at its Australian launch a mix of urban, twisty Adelaide Hill back roads and hot laps around South Australias Mallala race circuit is that Lexus got it mostly right across the board. As a luxurious, commodious and exciting model amply able across various driving disciplines, its a jack of many trades without really demonstrating mastery anywhere.

Its showy appearance fits the brief, though its not terribly handsome nor resolved in the flesh it just gets away with integrating Lexuss confrontational nose job with its dignity in place. None of its choice of eight body colours including the strange, Lava Mica orange hero hue particularly flatter the sport sedans aesthetics. Smatterings of carbon-fibre and those quad exhaust tips tick requisite boxes, though there is an odd combination of F branding that sees the monstrous brake calipers painted orange, the badges, engine and interior stitching in signature F blue, and wing mirror caps in greyregardless of which body colour you opt for. Yes, it trying hard and, to my eyes at least, barely gets away with it.

Not that it lacks muscular vibe. That 351kW 5.0-litre V8 is utter petrolhead ear candy and, true to fine naturally aspirated form, sounds gutsier and more sonorous the closer the tacho needle swings to the 7300rpm redline/cut-out. Some electric trickery, dubbed Active Sound Control, does add some synthesised sonic fanfare though, even with this function switched off, the soundtrack is truly wondrous.

lexus-gs-f-2016-launch-17.jpg

Its workmanlike 530Nm of peak torque clocks on well up at 4800rpm then drops off beyond 5600rpm theres no thick slab of low-rpm shove like youll find in force-induced V8 alternatives. And at times the engine feels a little strained in launching the 1825kg sedan towards the horizon. That said, Lexuss claim of 4.6sec for the march to triple figures seems, judging by the seat of the pants at least, fairly genuine.

The smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic, a slightly recalibrated version of the unit found in the RC F coupe, too, is reasonably accommodating rather than surgically co-operative when self-shifting, but is quite the handy ally when fully manualised. It is, however, an extremely smooth operator anywhere for a leisurely cruise to the heat of battle.

The Aussie version gets the full gamut of hardened, undiluted performance hardware of the version we drove at the international launch for a full rundown on specification, read here. Everything from paint choice to the sunroof is standard fitment, the only real cost options being the choice of semi-Analine leather accented trim with heated/cooled seating, which raises the price $2900 above the heated-only Alcantara/leather pews.

The bells and whistles treatment goes as far as a 17-speaker 835-watt Mark Levinson audio system and the Lexus Safety System Plus (integrating pre-collision, active cruise control, lane-keeping and adaptive high-beam sub-systems), though I cant help but feel that pulling some of the lavish spec out and dropping the price point somewhat might otherwise make a hypothetical stripper GS F quite an enticing proposition (Lexus denies such a variant is in consideration).

lexus-gs-f-2016-launch-14.jpg

The cabin, anchored by GSs mid-life spruce-up, is upmarket enough to match the cars price point, though its a little fussy and has a frenzied approach to button count and placement. The electric handbrake switch, annoyingly, seems to be hidden on purpose. Theres a huge, clear 12.3-inch infotainment screen, with excellent rear-view camera implementation, but the whole-system interface via the Lexus standard haptic controller is slow, clunky and distracting.

While the front seats look and feel fantastic and are functionally supportive a deft blend of comfort and purpose the heavily bolstered rear seats virtually render the GS F an effective four-seater, such is the pronounced hump separating the outboard rear seating and the humongous tailshaft tunnel. Four-up, though, the GS breed is amply roomy.

The GS F hardly lacks inherent comfort and refinement. If theres one area that cops a hit, however, its the ride quality of the passive single-mode suspension, which is reasonably pliant if a bit jiggly on rough country roads, and susceptible to thumping over potholes and square-edged road imperfections at low speeds. Like many big, heavy cars, this Lexuss ride becomes more tempered the higher the road speed.

Isolation from road noise is pretty decent, though tyre noise does seep in, and its pleasantly quiet if you keep the V8 burbling in the low end of its rev range. It makes a fine and generally serene open-road tourer, if one that in myriad, small positive and negative ways reminds you of its high-performance intent. Essentially, though, the more you stretch its legs, the more satisfying the GS F seems to become balancing comfort and performance.

lexus-gs-f-2016-launch-13.jpg

The famed Adelaide Hills driving roads are no place for vigorously punting a device lacking chassis control, poise and accuracy. And, when pushed, the GS F demonstrates an almost surprising level of dynamic competency. Grip from the front and drive from the rear are both excellent, and its broad 255 and 275mm front and rear Michelin Pilot Super Sports hang on tenaciously regardless of whether the tightly wound road course becomes smooth or pock-marked and lumpy. The nose of the car is quite accurate for such a large car and its easy to place and hustle along even some narrower back roads that offer little breathing room between the hot-mix and road-side trees, rock walls and fences.

The electric power-assisted steering is direct if a little inert for feedback, with quite light weighting that becomes only marginally heftier transitioning from Eco and Normal through to Sport and Sport+ drive modes. The throttle pedal, too, is lightly sprung, and the car can hunt a little in tandem with small right foot movements, particularly when the V8 is at its punchiest around the 5000rpm peak torque mark.

The GS F demands the driver to dig into the engines 5000-7000rpm sweet spot torque delivery is such that it struggles to drag itself out of hairpin corners at low rpm - but its a characteristically rewarding car to punt hardunlike many forced induced V8s out there playing in the super sedan field.

Like the RC F coupe, Lexus claims that the GS F is dynamically tuned for fun factor catering to a broad spectrum of driver skills. Its probably the immense strength of the brakes and its planted, grippy nature that anchors this ethos best and makes the car eminently friendly once the red mist descends. Theres plenty of engagement and fiery vibe its a soulful beast to provide decent thrill factor without having to dip far into the dark side of the speed limit, which is, in my book, very much a positive. The flipside is that its probably not as quick, point to point cross country, as what $150K might otherwise buy in bent-eight high performance.

lexus-gs-f-2016-launch-24.jpg

On one hand, its a potent and rewarding powertrain (in Sport+ and manual shifting, at least) hamstrung by the heavy GS format and all the kit the F variant brings. Apart from dulling acceleration, it imposes handling limits unearthed without too much provocation in tighter corners. Trickery such as the three-mode (Standard, Snow, Track) active torque-vectoring rear diff compensates for the ever-present large luxury car heft, impressively so to a point where, on occasion, the GS F can be a surprisingly grin-inducing.

Next up, track time. Three laps only one of them at full noise around the Mallala circuits sun-scorched and slippery tarmac (in desperate need of resurfacing) merely hints at the GS Fs unchained capabilities. Those hints, though, are mostly very positive indeed.

The GS F is happier carrying speed and loading up its weight in the corners than the point-and-squirt demands of the Adelaide Hills. And once inertia overcomes rear tyre grip, it can be lairy hoot to throw around, often with its tail hanging in the breeze, as demonstrated to maximum effect by Lexus ambassadorial hot shoe Neil Bates. Again, its a good-vibe machinethough one I suspect that wouldnt top the timesheets in the presence some Aussie or European super sedans (or wagons for that matter). A test for another time, then.

The prediction is that the GS F is perhaps a little too luxurious to compete with, say, Audis RS6 Avant for red raw performance. Conversely, its a little too rambunctious particularly in the one-mode suspension tuning a muscle car to set any benchmarks for on-road comfort, be it long-haul country driving or around town commuting. Equally, it mightnt be the first port of call in driver engagement when shopping around at this price point.

lexus-gs-f-2016-launch-11.jpg

But the GS F delivers amply across the board where it counts the most. And it does so with that indicatively Japanese/Lexus execution that, in many ways, is so unlike Aussie or European alternatives. This alone is this V8 rear-driven super sedans strong suit, one that will no doubt be an ideal fit for the tastes of many buyers.

See many more pics and info on CarAdvice
1449011371-U3.jpg

1 person likes this

Nice brakes.

1 person likes this

Its not sure what market it wants to appeal to IMO. And just a bit overpriced for what you get, but it will sell.

hmmm i like the Z shape grille Lexus have been keen on, but not this one.

gimme full-spec'd LS600L anyday.

hmmm i like the Z shape grille Lexus have been keen on, but not this one.

gimme full-spec'd LS600L anyday.

I agree, grille on this is just a bit much for me. Theres more grille than front bar.

BTW, I did see one of these driving on the road today. Looks fantastic but just doesn't have much presence. Not like the IS-F which is just so aggressive and attention grabbing.

• Similar Content

• By 2_Liter_Turbo
      R32 Nissan Skyline GTR: Exhaust Sounds of Blitz NÜR-Spec Catback - Free Rev & Acceleration
      Apologies for my terrible on-camera performance, we sort of rushed through this to get it made, ha ha. Anyways, I made a quick video on the exhaust sounds of a Blitz Nur-Spec catback on a mostly stock R32 GTR. Enjoy, lol.

• By PranK
      Review: Mothers NuLens™ Headlight Renewal Kit
      European cars seem to struggle with maintaining high levels of headlight condition.
      While Japanese cars seem to suffer from fading/clouding, Euro's get pitting and a rough coating over them. We have 2 European cars and they've both fallen victim to this pitting and coating. 
      I bought the Mothers NuLens™ Headlight Renewal Kit to try to clean up the headlights on my wife's 2007 Volkswagen Passat.

Here's some pics of the headlight before I started. You can see just how bad the pitting and scratches are.

So, the process is very simple;
      tape up your paintwork I put a hose on very low just dribbling over the headlight to keep it wet. Sand with the supplied 800 grit pad (you'll see in the below pics I needed to do this longer) When you have a uniform haze and it feels smooth, sand with the 1500 grit pad When the haze is uniform again, dry the light and  Sand with the 3000 grit foam pad. Lastly, use the Powerball and polish to polish the headlight. So, after about 20 mins, the result is amazing. You can see that some scratches still exist, I can't feel these so I missed them on the 800 grit stage. I'm planning on redoing the sanding next week to see if I can improve it. But, even without doing that again, it looks (and feels) incredible.

I would recommend this kit to anybody who has external defects on their headlights. (A lot of R33's get hazing/clouding on the inside of the headlight.)
      This is a 5 star product for sure. $40 very well spent.

• By PranK
      Cygnett Magnetic Vent Mount 5 / 5 stars After having a less than optimal experience with the Cygnett MagMount 360 I was given a Magnetic Vent Mount by Cygnett to try.
      TL;DR - This is a brilliant phone mount. Go and buy one.

I have tried cheap vent mounts before and they barely hold on to the vent before you even attach your phone. I was nervous that this would be similar. I was very wrong. 
      In fact, my first go at attaching the base to the vent caught me out; I thought I'd don't something wrong because it was so firm. It has no lateral movement at all. The mount base has a little button that pries the spring-loaded clamp apart so you can put it on and off. The best part about this is that you can very easily take it with you and it will mount just as securely to any car you get in. 
      NOTE some cars do have different gaps between their vent shutters. Our Passat has very little gap between the shutters and so I made sure I could put it on there. I could, perfectly. It was also mounted to the Bora and a Mazda 3 with no issues at all.

You will likely lose the ability to move the vent shutters on the vent being used. This is the same across any vent mounts and not a Cygnett problem. If you need the vents pointing at you when driving you may wish to rethink a vent mount.
      The mount comes with some sticky magnets for the back of your phone or phone case. You can also slide a larger magnet in between your phone and its case, which also works well (this is what we've done on my wife's phone). I did find that my Samsun wireless charging either doesn't work at all or gets dangerously hot when using these stick-on magnet pads. I've had to cease using it until I find an answer - this is not a Cygnett problem, this is a problem with all magnet based mounts. 

Driving with the mount is fine. At no stage does my phone (Galaxy S6) or my wifes phone (HTC One) look unstable or like they will fall. They are secure while driving and firm enough to change tracks or re-centre Google if needed.
      This is my new favourite mount. Well done Cygnett.
    • By timmy_89
      Review: Alpha Omega Racing Evo 350mm Brembo Rear Brake Adapter Kit - WTAC Edition
      Hey all, decided to put a review together for the Alpha Omega Racing Evo 350mm Brembo rear brake kit (WTAC edition). This is a new version of the rear adaptor kit developed by Alpha Omega Racing, designed with the intention to meet World Time Attack Challenge clubsprint rules. I have been running the original rear kit for the last 6 months (?? maybe longer lol) so this review will be more so related to the comparison when installing.
      Company/Product:
      Alpha Omega Racing / Evo 350mm Brembo Rear Brake Adaptor Kit - WTAC Edition

Price:
      $400 plus postage
      Link:
      http://alphaomegaracing.com/p/149/c/72/Z32/ALPHA-OMEGA/Evo-350mm-Brembo-Rear-Brake-Adapter-Kit-WTAC-Edition.html
      Purpose:
      This kit allows you to fit rear Brembo calipers from an Evo 5-9 (all the same) with Nissan 370Z rear rotors (350mm diameter) to your R32/R33/R34/S13 (5 stud)/S14/S15/Z32/Z33.
      What's included:
      - Left and right adapters made out of one piece of 7075-T6 billet aerospace alloy
      - Various high tensile bolts and high tensile washers
      - Full installation instructions with pictures
      What else you'll need:
      - Mitsubishi Evo 5/6/7/8/9 Brembo rear calipers and brake pads
      - Nissan 370Z rear rotors (350mmx20mm)
      - Custom brake lines
      Alpha Omega Racing is able to provide all of the above parts as well as parts and services (labour) for rebuilding calipers and even fitting if you are not comfortable doing so yourself. I personally opted to get the parts from Alpha Omega Racing for the rear kit for the convenience factor at the time.
      The kit makes use of the Nissan 370Z rear 350mm rotors for better brake bias and heat dispersion. When using the front and rear kits designed by Alpha Omega Racing the brake bias is calculated to be a ratio of 69:31.
      I have chosen to continue running Intima Performance Brake Pads and am using their Type SR pads in this application.
      Test vehicle:
      1998 Nissan Skyline R34 GTT - originally factory rotors and calipers, then upgraded to the original rear kit designed by Alpha Omega Racing

Unboxing the kit:
      The new WTAC edition kit arrived quickly and was well packaged. Much like their other adaptors, these new adaptors are very light as you'd expect being made from billet alloy and appear to be of good quality. Alpha Omega Racing is etched on one side, whilst 'Made in Australia' is etched on the other. All bolts and washers were included along with installation instructions. I already had all other parts required as I previously had the original rear kit installed and was changing purely to meet WTAC clubsprint rules.
      Installation:
      Installation was pretty straight forward. The most painful part was actually removing the old kit due to the use of the hub spacer. Once this was removed and the factory parts were all bolted back up, the adaptor kit bolted straight on without issue. Normally I would have been required to trim the dust shield/back plate, but I had already done this when installing the original kit.

The calipers are required to be 'shaved' a little for fitment with this kit, my trusty angle grinder helped out here and made for easy work. The place that requires shaving has no effect on the performance of the caliper and is very minimal (see photo below). Once the calipers were sorted, I was able to put the rear rotors back on and bolt the calipers straight up! Fitment looks just as good as it did before with the original rear kit.

Performance:
      In terms of performance, I have not had the car back on track after installing the WTAC edition rear kit. However having had the original rear kit on the car for some time now I feel performance will be similar. Will report back soon with an update though.
      The original rear kit created a much better braking bias for the car. ABS is disconnected in my car so took a little bit to get used to how hard I could jump on the brakes, but once I adjusted I was definitely impressed with the increase in braking ability. Will provide an update on this once I've had the car back on track (after WTAC).
      Overall Opinion:
      Overall I would say I'm very happy with the kit. The quality of the new kit matched that of the front kit and I found the install to be fairly easy. The flexibility to either source parts yourself of purchase from Alpha Omega Racing is great, if you have the time to source your own parts you might save a few dollars, but if you want to buy everything together it makes the process quicker, and you essentially have a ready to go kit.
      As mentioned, I will add some updates after WTAC, but if anyone has any questions regarding the kit, its install, or any other particulars, please feel free to ask me either in this thread or by sending me a PM. You can also read more into my car by checking out my build thread here:
      http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/421419-timmys-r34-gtt/
    • By PranK
      Review Cygnett Magmount 360
      I am extremely fussy when it comes to phone mounts. I don't want my phone mounted on the windshield, its either too far away or its in my line of sight, two things I hate. 
      My previous phone mount is the Car Cup Mount by Belkin which is fantastic but my Mazda and Passat have the cup holders down next to the handbrake while my Bora has the cup holders above the stereo. Having to look down next to the handbrake to see Google Maps or change Spotify track is dangerous and when trying to navigate a new place, its a bit stressful. So, while the Belkin is perfect in my Bora I needed something new for the other cars.
      Enter the Cygnett Magmount 360. 

As you can see from the site and pictures, this is advertised as either a dash or glass mount. You stick the little chrome ball somewhere and then, using magnets, you stick your phone to it.
      The magnets are strong and you can either place a thin one inside your phone case or stick one, using double sided tape, to the back of your phone or phone case. In my scenario I stuck it to the back of the case because I didnt want the inside magnet to scratch the back of my phone.

As soon as I did this, my wireless charging stopped working. Ok, so I can live with that even if it takes some getting used to (i naturally place my phone on the charging mat at work and dont even think about charging it, now I have to keep remembering to plug it in.)
      Then it came to mounting the little chrome ball. I was skeptical at first, I know how finicky dashboards are to stick things to (we've all stuck various guages down over the years, we all know how hard this can be.) But I was certain that a product advertised as a sticky dash mount had to work, right? 

Wrong. What a monumental failure. Nice clean dash, found one of the few flat spots, peeled off the cover and pushed it down for 4 minutes or so. As soon as I released my hand it just dropped off. Now the tape was ruined, so I got my hardcore mounting tape (used for various things around my fish tank, takes a prying screwdriver to remove). Same problem. Both the Mazda dash (hard smooth plastic piece) and Bora dash (softer pleather) refused to hold it. 
      The fact is, the foot of the little ball is just so small that any weight will start to tilt it over. I simply cannot see how this would stick to ANY dash without the use of Super Glue or Sugru. The design is flawed. The little chrome ball is already quite weighty, its a solid metal ball. It can't even hold its own weight, I never even got the change to stick my phone to it as it already failed.

If you were sticking this to glass, you may have better luck, but the contact patch is far too small to make it a solid fitting. 
      All in all, a massive waste of $25 (on special at JB). 
      I give this 1 star and strenuously recommend you consider alternatives.