SAU Community

Medical Cannabis

MrStabby

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-17/federal-government-to-legalise-growing-of-medicinal-cannabis/6862294

"If you are suffering from a terminal [illness], if your child has drug-resistant epilepsy suffering from life threatening fits, then you should have available to you through medical advice and appropriate channels, medicinal cannabis."

AFAIK the terminal illness use is for pain relief and they've mentioned epilepsy. Are there any other conditions that cannabis is useful to treat? (backed up by a study of course!)

• Like 1

I had a draft email I'd saved of someone's reddit post containing links to over 20 credible studies on cannabis' effects on various health conditions. It was the kind of list that kills this argument.

f**k knows where it's gone :(

• Like 1

Of course cannabis should be used medically but subject to...

1) which form of cannabis for efficacy eg indica or one of the others

2) HOD testing to determine if the patient's serotonin, dopamine etc levels dive

3) monitoring compared to other analgesics that are coming on board eg black mamba snake venom via University of Edinburgh

legalize it completely is my opinion.

I think a legal 'industry' is a good idea.

Regulated farming, legal shops, similar approaches as California.

Get dealers off the street BUT still give them the opportunity to work in the area they know.

Regulated farming means better quality and more jobs.

Shops means taxable product, similar to alcohol.

I think its a great idea and would be a great new, highly profitable industry.

• Like 1

Also causes less deaths than booze

Less anger, less fights, less sickness, no (or little) hangovers. Its a no brainer to me.

FWIW, I don't actually smoke pot. But, I am a big supporter of it.

Also, once you ditch the marijuana stigma, countries can start working with hemp which is an amazing fibre that can do so much better than cotton and wool. Currently many countries don't allow hemp to be grown, even though its a completely different strain of plant compared with the THC-laden 'high' ones. But thats a post for another day.

Also causes less deaths than booze

Without getting into a pro or anti argument, I would like to point out here (because I see this get thrown around a lot, along with the why is alcohol legal and pot isn't mantra), that there is significantly less marijuana consumption than there is alcohol consumption in our society. Not saying which one is better than the other, but if consumption was on the same level we may see much more adversity from weed than we currently do.

• Like 1

Without getting into a pro or anti argument, I would like to point out here (because I see this get thrown around a lot, along with the why is alcohol legal and pot isn't mantra), that there is significantly less marijuana consumption than there is alcohol consumption in our society. Not saying which one is better than the other, but if consumption was on the same level we may see much more adversity from weed than we currently do.

I think that's a very fair point.

FWIW I am pretty pro weed, for medicinal use at least and anyone who can improve their life with it. But as a sufferer of the long term effects, I would like to see more education on the potential downsides that one can experience from it, as it's seen to be a very safe drug to use short term, when short term can be all you need to get what I did from it.

And continuing from above, I can certainly see a spike in the amount of stoned drivers getting around if we were to legalise it. Whether they are merely replacing the drunk drivers or appearing in addition to them, I do not want to be sharing the road with people out of their minds. And you can certainly make that illegal and put fines on it, but like drink driving, how much would it really curb people who do it regardless?

Yes true.

Alcohol is the most abused drug in this country and of course the world.

Both marijuanha and alcohol can be stimulants as well as depressants.

Some people become more docile with both after their initial effects. Some can become aggressive. And then some become more depressed.

It's fair to say that both have effects creating nice spikes in Serotonin Noradrenaline and Dopamine but in the aftermaths, marijuanha can over time lead to a chronic shortage of Dopamine; whereas alcohol can lead to a chronic shortage of Noradrenaline. Both can lead to a chronic shortage of Serotonin.

HOD Test results + valid retesting confirm this. If people are caught up in a genetic line who are predisposed to these deficiencies at birth or more latently at puberty can be at grave risk of psychopathology.

• Like 1

My memory has been shithouse since I had the stroke. Weed (ab)use has mildly exacerbated it, though even for myself I'm lucky that a week's abstinence has my cognitive abilities more or less back to speed, post stroke of course haha

• Like 1

FWIW I am pretty pro weed, for medicinal use at least and anyone who can improve their life with it. But as a sufferer of the long term effects, I would like to see more education on the potential downsides that one can experience from it, as it's seen to be a very safe drug to use short term, when short term can be all you need to get what I did from it.

And continuing from above, I can certainly see a spike in the amount of stoned drivers getting around if we were to legalise it. Whether they are merely replacing the drunk drivers or appearing in addition to them, I do not want to be sharing the road with people out of their minds. And you can certainly make that illegal and put fines on it, but like drink driving, how much would it really curb people who do it regardless?

would prefer a stoned driver to a drunk driver for the most part.

In the case of danger to ones self, there are very very few registered deaths of weed overdoses. There are plenty of deaths due to alcohol poisoning.

Also if you look at countries like Amsterdam, weed just becomes another part of life that is barely looked at and not considered cool or anything.

• Like 1

would prefer a stoned driver to a drunk driver for the most part.

In the case of danger to ones self, there are very very few registered deaths of weed overdoses. There are plenty of deaths due to alcohol poisoning.

Also if you look at countries like Amsterdam, weed just becomes another part of life that is barely looked at and not considered cool or anything.

Can I please get a link to any of those 'weed overdose deaths'?

I know we're on the same side of the fence lol, but I'm fairly sure that's still something that hasn't ever happened, officially. As in a acute overdose on THC/CBD; not health complications exacerbated by THC/CBD, some kind of interaction with another drug, or the '1 in a million' reaction someone may have like allergy.

• Like 1