Jump to content
SAU Community
  • Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


N0Vus

2008 D22 Navara Fs5r30a Into Cefiro/skyline

Recommended Posts

Ive picked up a D22 gearbox as they are the same gearset as the rb25det box etc

Has any one done this before?

Im looking at this as this box cost me $250 nzd and a 25det big box sells for 2.5k

If i can source a rb bellhousing from a big box it appears it will bolt on but i think I will need to space it out as it appears the input shaft sits out further but the gearbox in total is shorter then the rb, so maybe the difference is in the bellhousing or maybe a spacer at the center plate will be enough

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

im just doing this conversion on s15 with rb26 and ive got it all bolted up just waiting on drive shaft to be made to put it to the test i machined down the input shaft to same length and diameter as rb box and used rb25det bellhousing and needed to make up a dogleg gear shifter and thats all ive needed to do

Link to post
Share on other sites

the front half of the box is the same length apart from the input shaft which you can machine the end of it back a bit to fit.

The rear half is shorter.

If your going to run one in a new conversion, you should strip the box and do the bearings and also machine the input shaft. Then reassemble with a gtr or rb25det bellhousing.

Your going to have to make a diveshaft anyway, so make it longer to suit the d22 box.

You cant use a RB input shaft because the tooth count is different.

You can buy a broken 25det or 26 box cheap for the bellhousing only.

If you can get a big box with a blown 3rd gear for cheap, and a diesel box, you can make 1 out of 2 that will fit inside the RB case.

I have done a few for mates. Most recent one is behind a 330rwkw rb25det neo. going well so far

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in process of this conversion but can not find a gearstick anywhere. Unfortunately gearbox I brought did not come with one. Is the rb25det gearstick the same?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/04/2016 at 7:27 PM, fletch rb30 said:

the front half of the box is the same length apart from the input shaft which you can machine the end of it back a bit to fit.

The rear half is shorter.

If your going to run one in a new conversion, you should strip the box and do the bearings and also machine the input shaft. Then reassemble with a gtr or rb25det bellhousing.

Your going to have to make a diveshaft anyway, so make it longer to suit the d22 box.

You cant use a RB input shaft because the tooth count is different.

You can buy a broken 25det or 26 box cheap for the bellhousing only.

If you can get a big box with a blown 3rd gear for cheap, and a diesel box, you can make 1 out of 2 that will fit inside the RB case.

I have done a few for mates. Most recent one is behind a 330rwkw rb25det neo. going well so far

Hey mate, I'm doing a rb25 conversion in my d22 (keeping it 4x4) done some research and a few people have said the navs input shaft spline is shorter than the rb. So apparently the clutch only uses a third of the spline? Just want to know how your mates cars are going as I don't want to replace the shaft if it shears off the splines haha cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking at this option, as big boxes are stupid prices these days. 

How would I find out how much is needed to shorten the input shaft. Or more accurate details.

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, elohim_imanu said:

I am looking at this option, as big boxes are stupid prices these days. 

How would I find out how much is needed to shorten the input shaft. Or more accurate details.

Cheers

Is $3.5k a stupid price for a brand new complete RB25DET box ? Seems pretty reasonable to me for what they are without all the bullshit required to split a box apart and retrofit parts - assuming you even have the capability / tooling required to rebuild and assemble a transmission yourself.

At the end of the day either gearset is still just essentially a poxy standard GTR gearset inside anyway - not exactly the pinnacle of strong gearboxes by any means.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BK said:

At the end of the day either gearset is still just essentially a poxy standard GTR gearset inside anyway - not exactly the pinnacle of strong gearboxes by any means.

Careful. You are showing your snobbery. Not all of us have the budget for 3 GTRs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No I'm not trying to be like that at all. Just the facts - a factory box is still just a factory box. Converting could cost easily the same as just purchasing a new one if required.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yuh, what's the point unless you're broke-arse and have access to free Nav parts and capable of the required work?

New box is new.

If I were going to put time and energy into f**king about with alt Nissan gearboxes, it would be to go CD009 and get the extra gear.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh, well. I am running a 25de auto, probably going to do a stock +t to it. So I don't need much in the way of gearboxes, just something reliable and can handle a bit of power and do not want to sink a bunch of cash into it. I am not your average Skyline owner who does burn outs at KFC or drifts.

I enjoy working on cars (built not bought). I am a fitter and turner, so know a few things about machinery. Nav gearboxes are relatively cheap. Was just asking, from people who know, if there are some specifics around it. I may just end up just using a 20det box. 

I am interested where I would buy a new box for $3.5k though. I am in NZ and that is a 2nd hand price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the R33 box is probably hard to get. It's OOS at JustJap for example. The R34 box is available there for >$4k now. Same same, but different. These or the R33 may be available at overseas Nissan parts people (all the usual suspects) for $3.5k but would have additional costs to get them into the country. Doesn't really matter. $3.5k. $4.5k. It's all about the same amount of money. If you want to play, you have to be ready to pay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just Jap, JDM garage etc. The boxes from somewhere like Amayama or Nengun are way under $3k AUD new but you gotta ship it and duty, taxes. If I were to be getting a new one I'd be talking to Darron at Just Jap.

Forget the RB20 box idea

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget all above and CD009 like previously mentioned 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BK said:

Forget all above and CD009 like previously mentioned 👍

Yeh, like I say. >$4k is more than what I want to spend on a gearbox for this project. But thanks anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

The R34 box is available there for >$4k now. Same same, but different.

Never pulled a 34 GTT box down but do you know how they are different ? The 33 RB25 box is the same as the 89 - 96 model GTR boxes inside as far as input shaft, main shaft gears, synchros, selector forks and counter shaft goes.

I was under the impression the only change to the 34 rwd box was on the 2nd and 3rd gear main shaft gears, selector fork and synchro revision to match the series 3 R33 GTR gearset changes. Obviously released as a pull in the the 34 GTT box too but that's also easily changeable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BK said:

I was under the impression the only change to the 34 rwd box was on the 2nd and 3rd gear main shaft gears, selector fork and synchro revision to match the series 3 R33 GTR gearset changes. Obviously released as a pull in the the 34 GTT box too but that's also easily changeable.

Yuh, I think that's pretty much the extent of it. I should have bought a 33 one when they were only $3k. Now I wish I bought a 34 one when they were <<$4k. Expensive future proofing shed ornament .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some pretty harsh opinions of a gearbox that regularly takes double and often triple the power it was engineered for.

3.5k is a lot of money for a gearbox for a near stock engine and it's great to see cheaper options being looked into. Even the 350z box itself might be cheap but trans adapter etc mean total cost isn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Duncan said:

Some pretty harsh opinions of a gearbox that regularly takes double and often triple the power it was engineered for.

3.5k is a lot of money for a gearbox for a near stock engine and it's great to see cheaper options being looked into. Even the 350z box itself might be cheap but trans adapter etc mean total cost isn't.

Exactly. There is not much in between. R33 GTR gearboxes are cheaper, about $2k. But a lot of mucking around making them 2wd. Even a 350 2nd had box is $3k. I know this has been thrashed around here a lot, but is the 20det good for up to 300hp? They are about $1k. Like I said, don't intend to thrash it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...