SAU Community

2008 D22 Navara Fs5r30a Into Cefiro/skyline

N0Vus

41 minutes ago, elohim_imanu said:

I know this has been thrashed around here a lot, but is the 20det good for up to 300hp?

Input shaft bearings don't like lots of torque. Your typical boosted RB25 is too much for it. I wore out 2 of them on an RB20.

42 minutes ago, elohim_imanu said:

They are about $1k.

Yeah, even that's no longer true. Anything at that price will need the other $3k spent on it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 2:43 PM, elohim_imanu said:

Exactly. There is not much in between. R33 GTR gearboxes are cheaper, about $2k. But a lot of mucking around making them 2wd. Even a 350 2nd had box is $3k. I know this has been thrashed around here a lot, but is the 20det good for up to 300hp? They are about $1k. Like I said, don't intend to thrash it.

Hi mate I’m just about to do this to my r32 using the 08 d22 nav box (yd25ddti box)with an r32 rb26 bell housing gearbox was $900 and the bell housing was $400. But it is shorter by about 30mm so driveshaft needs some work but for a $4500 gearbox it’s good money spent to get a big box and something that is just over 12 years old. 20det boxes are over priced for used 30year old parts but will let you now how it all goes as I’m doing it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rb30det r32 said:

Hi mate I’m just about to do this to my r32 using the 08 d22 nav box (yd25ddti box)with an r32 rb26 bell housing gearbox was $900 and the bell housing was $400. But it is shorter by about 30mm so driveshaft needs some work but for a $4500 gearbox it’s good money spent to get a big box and something that is just over 12 years old. 20det boxes are over priced for used 30year old parts but will let you now how it all goes as I’m doing it.

Hi. Very interested to see how it goes. Keep us posted.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2021 at 9:26 PM, Rb30det r32 said:

Hi, Do you know what you have to do for this to work. Like do you have to disassemble the whole gearbox, to get the input shaft out and machine it?

On 25/01/2021 at 1:31 PM, BK said:

Just Jap, JDM garage etc. The boxes from somewhere like Amayama or Nengun are way under $3k AUD new but you gotta ship it and duty, taxes. If I were to be getting a new one I'd be talking to Darron at Just Jap.

Forget the RB20 box idea

So I heeded your advise and hunted down the only new one I could find. That was at Alpha Omega Racing. R34 RB25DET Gearbox Price: $3,376.00 I have to admit that it is not a terrible price. But I was quoted $1,326 to ship to NZ. Total of $4,702. I only paid $3,000 for the car, so yeah.

1 hour ago, elohim_imanu said:

So I heeded your advise and hunted down the only new one I could find. That was at Alpha Omega Racing. R34 RB25DET Gearbox Price: $3,376.00 I have to admit that it is not a terrible price. But I was quoted $1,326 to ship to NZ. Total of $4,702. I only paid $3,000 for the car, so yeah.

You can look where I told you look and it'll probably be $500 - $1000 cheaper delivered. Nengun is under $3k. More to the point is why do you feel you need another box again ? You have an RB20DET box yeah ?

8 hours ago, BK said:

You can look where I told you look and it'll probably be $500 - $1000 cheaper delivered. Nengun is under $3k. More to the point is why do you feel you need another box again ? You have an RB20DET box yeah ?

I am an idiot. I thought I had checked Nengun. Thanks for the reminder. You know when you have like 50 tabs open.

They are much cheaper. NZD $ 2,502 for the box about there is an option for $795 shipping. Now I am seriously looking at this. The best I can find locally is a RWD converted R33 GTR gearbox for $3,000. That is what I mean by stupid prices.

My next question, which I have asked of Nengun, is what other parts do I need to add it. I think it comes with a pull fork and thrust bearing. No speed sensor, clutch, slave, shifter. Looking at the pic on the site the part number 32010-AA520. 

https://www.nengun.com/oem/nissan/32010-aa520

It looks like I need to source the brackets and hoses etc. 

I am doing an auto conversion. I was looking at putting in a 20DET GB, but it seems that is only going to end in pain.

page_320_C_001.png

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying this one.

https://www.rhdjapan.com/nissan-oem-5-speed-manual-transmission-er34-rb25det.html

I have just taken delivery of it. With the current exchange rates, shipping, and GST, it came to about $4k NZD. Shipping took only 14 days once they had it in stock. Delivered to my door. But I did have to wait about two months for it be in stock. It was fine, as that was roughly the date specified when I ordered. What you see on the website is exactly what you get, pull clutch setup. OEM parts to convert come to about $330 NZD. But I got a Nismo pull clutch to go with it (on top of the $4k)

MicrosoftTeams-image.png