SAU Community

Jordy's R34 Gtt

On 1/30/2017 at 0:05 PM, Hadouken said:

What time did you end up getting?

How are the new ripple strips?

Track day was back in September last year so I think the ripple strips were still small at that stage? In any case, not really noticable!

In terms of time, I ran about a 1:18 or so, I have a feeling I was pushing the nismo suspension a little too much.. On the street it's great and quite comfortable, but on the track it felt far too soft.

In other news however! This beautiful box has arrived for me!

8kKu9Xrl.jpg

Containing > 

4FTph66l.jpg

Woo!

I've got myself a spare subframe on the cheap, so while I wait for other things to arrive I will be welding in some reinforcement plates, putting some new cradle and diff bushes in and eventually installing the new diff!

:D

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

wow, someone is balls in now - full commitment haha

Kinda! I drove my friend's R32 with a nismo 2way and it felt really good, so I got myself a 1.5way with some of my bonus money, I'm bad with temptation lol!

Pro or standard? I had the standard Nismo 1.5-way put into mine last year, based on the total sample of 1 track day, it's awesome on the track. Less so on the street, I hope yours is not a daily in suburban traffic ;)

8 minutes ago, V28VX37 said:

Pro or standard? I had the standard Nismo 1.5-way put into mine last year, based on the total sample of 1 track day, it's awesome on the track. Less so on the street, I hope yours is not a daily in suburban traffic ;)

Just the GT LSD, non pro edition.

Thankfully my daily is a bus! My car only comes out for spirited drives and the odd track day and I'm happy to put up with some noise for the added benefits.

If i was using the car as a daily/commuter I'd probably look toward the helical option, or just standard but thankfully that's not the case :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Jordy32 said:

Just the GT LSD, non pro edition.

Thankfully my daily is a bus! My car only comes out for spirited drives and the odd track day and I'm happy to put up with some noise for the added benefits.

If i was using the car as a daily/commuter I'd probably look toward the helical option, or just standard but thankfully that's not the case :) 

It's exactly the same as mine then, an awesome LSD for that type of use! I shaved 4.5 seconds off my PB at Sandown two weeks ago and I reckon some fraction of that came down to this diff.

I've finally managed to get it to behave a little better on the street too, the trick is to have enough throttle to lock it, it's at its worst when just coasting around a tight corner with the clutch out...

On 2/10/2017 at 10:40 PM, Jordy32 said:

In other news however! This beautiful box has arrived for me!

8kKu9Xrl.jpg

Containing > 

4FTph66l.jpg

Woo!

I've got myself a spare subframe on the cheap, so while I wait for other things to arrive I will be welding in some reinforcement plates, putting some new cradle and diff bushes in and eventually installing the new diff!

:D

Nice choice of diff, running the same one and has served me well :)

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, Jordy32 said:

My car only comes out for spirited drives and the odd track day and I'm happy to put up with some noise for the added benefits.

You won't regret this upgrade!  First modification step beyond tyres and pads should be a cradle bush + diff centre + HICAS eliminate + bump steer eliminate.  A bit of time spent in that area pays off big time for any half serious driving in a boat.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:47 PM, V28VX37 said:

I've finally managed to get it to behave a little better on the street too, the trick is to have enough throttle to lock it, it's at its worst when just coasting around a tight corner with the clutch out...

My daily (not a Skyline) has a Detroit locker.  Much more aggressive than any plated centre. Takes a bit of fancy footwork sometimes to keep it smooth, but it's all down to technique.  Left foot braking and better throttle control can overcome a lot of issues.  Overall driving characteristics are way better than the original gear, and on gravel or wet tarmac it's unbeatably good.  Same can apply to these plated jobs.

On-thread, Jordy's made a smart purchase, interested to hear what the driving impressions are.

• Like 1

I'm keen to get it in!

Dropped all the bits off to Award Diff and Gear after multiple counts of great feedback on this forum. I had the LSD Center installed with all new bearings and seals as per the nismo kit as well as a new Pinion bearing installed and pinion oil seals to finish up.

Trish was absolutely lovely and had my Diff Center installed and ready to pick up in less that 24hr's.

The diff is now home awaiting cradle bush arrival hopefully this week. getting keen!

2 hours ago, Dale FZ1 said:

You won't regret this upgrade!  First modification step beyond tyres and pads should be a cradle bush + diff centre + HICAS eliminate + bump steer eliminate.  A bit of time spent in that area pays off big time for any half serious driving in a boat.

I tend to agree, I had a lot of in-lift at wakefield only running 190kw-ish through a most probably tired stock LSD, I want to go back and see how it goes with the new LSD.

I know my suspension can probably be blamed for this too, but I will look into that in the coming months :)

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from that I've just been gathering some parts for the diff install. Because I'm not quite ready I decided to buy a second subframe and get it as ready as possible as I don't have a place to leave the car without a Subframe while I prep it with new bushes and everything.

So I bought one from a wrecker and had it dropped at my house during the week

tvOQlfZl.jpg

Then gave it a wash

PbasrRBl.jpg

And then these arrived

zjiRdD3.jpg?1

hdaA2EW.jpg

And took it over to a mates place and flapped back some of the paint

8amTPqY.jpg

And had him weld in the GKTech Subframe Plates in for me!

LakZSHV.jpg

Then brought the thing back home and bashed the bushes out which was an absolute pain. We started by drilling out all of the rubber and then caving the shell in on itself. With a couple of beers and some music it wasn't overly shit, just tedious.

I4ej1OEl.jpg

IDthsEtl.jpg

Then gave up and had a burger! :D

BFjzRdXl.jpg

On 05/03/2017 at 2:42 PM, Jordy32 said:

Then brought the thing back home and bashed the bushes out which was an absolute pain. We started by drilling out all of the rubber and then caving the shell in on itself. With a couple of beers and some music it wasn't overly shit, just tedious.

Y u use no press? Especially with the subframe out?

I concur, removing steel sleeved bushes is my absolute most hated job to do on the car.

Solid effort and kit too, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

21 hours ago, V28VX37 said:

Y u use no press? Especially with the subframe out?

I concur, removing steel sleeved bushes is my absolute most hated job to do on the car.

Solid effort and kit too, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I've told myself that next time I'll use a press twice now.

Combination of not having a press or a suitable means of transporting a subframe to a press :(

• Like 1