SAU Community

Restoring My Carbon Fibre Hood

I bought this from autobarn

20160326_091245_zps6upsg49t.jpg

I don't know if this is the right one, but I'll give it a try next time.

Do you know if I need to mix anything with it like thinners?

Read the instructions on the back regarding mixtures mate.

Awesome job you done.. iv done panel beating and spray painting for 6 years and regarding spraying your bonnet my advice would be hit it with think coats and about 3-4 coats.

If you dont have access to a oven to bake it leave it in the sun as much as you can for at least a month to make sure its fully hardened before attacking it with sand paper..

Once dry wetsand with warm soapy water with 1500 then 2000.. make sure you use a soft sanding block with wetsanding cause clear coat is a prick with wetsanding as you will never get the sanding scratches out if you push to hard with a hard block as the corners of hard blocks allways scratch and will show like dogs balls ontop of a dark colour..

Also with the warm soapy water dont use dishwashing liquid.. mske sure its car ir truckwash snd dishwashing liquid is nogood for car paint..

Awesome job on it sofar tho mate.. nice work

Edited by donburtron

• 2 months later...

Great outcome on the bonnet, Joni Boi. Looks unreal!

A nice clear coat (or 10) will look great and keep it protected.

Has anyone else had to do this to clean up a Carbon bonnet..?
I'm about to give it a try on a very bad looking bonnet. It's almost completely white.

Following what Joni Boi did on the previous page you can't go wrong.

Keep in mind that he was able to sand back a lot but not down to the carbon itself. If you do go to far then you'll need to seal it quickly. If you dont then a polish up will get it looking better but should only be considered a short term solution until you can get a coat (or few) of clear on it.

Make sure you create a thread and post lots of pics! :)

• 2 months later...

I would make sure before you clear it that you use a wax/grease remover and a tack cloth or something that wont leave a lint behind, that way you can ensure that it bonds properly.

And wow didn't realize this post was so old, sorry for bringing an old one back to life guys >.<

Edited by Ed.williams5
  • Like 1