SAU Community

Bathurst In December

260DET

Sprints and regularity, no mention here that I know of but still. The Z Car Club Q is organising a group of 40 to run together in regularity, it's for those who think that they want to have a go and experience Bathurst but for various reasons will not exceed the set minimum lap time. Most of the participants have track experience so it should be a safe and sensible group on the track. Other than that we will get covered pit bays. If anyone is interested I'll dig out the details.

• Like 1

$2600 for the 2 day sprint.

$1500 for the 2 day regularity (2.36 min lap time allowed)

Not 100% sure on who they are going to let in for the sprint however. It does say "racecars" and says regularity is for road cars.

Not exactly sure what entails the racecars requirement for the sprints but I'll be trying to enter it.

Ripplestrip Motorsport https://www.facebook.com/ripplestripmotorsport/ If anyone wants to be part of the Z Club's group then contact David [email protected] see also http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/14646-challenge-bathurst-2016/#entry174753 The idea is to to go through David rather than enter direct to Ripplestrip who are happy to do this.

Nah, Phillip Island shows it really runs out of puff over 200km/h. The most it hit there was 218 and it would only do that on the 1st lap when everything was cold. Normally more like 212 top speed... And it took ages to get there - coming onto that long straight at about 180. It might almost hit 230 down Conrod with a tailwind lol

After-all, it is just a stocky with exhaust and FMIC... The Soarer actually prefers lots of corners rather than big straights, as strange as that seems.

But the track densities and costs don't suit me at all. Sprint is 120 cars in 3 groups, getting 8 sessions over 2 days. That's 40 cars per group!!! On a 6.2km track is about double the density of the Phillip Island sprint I did at the end of last year - and it was almost impossible to get a clear lap in without being held up by slow traffic or yellows there...

But apparently my road car has to be in regularity anyway, where there'll be over double the number of cars, and presumably shorter sessions. Nah, I'll pass.

Edited by hrd-hr30

• 2 weeks later...

that just responding to it being the perfect track for the Soarer, when it's pretty much the opposite. Top of the mountain would be awesome fun, but not in a regularity group of 50 cars. choo choo...

I've done two Bathurst Speed Weekends. It's an awesome place and I'd love to do the whole track, but that doesn't sound all that exciting to me.

Can't have it both ways Harry, the numbers are needed to keep the entry charges down. Can't see why the Soarer would not be fun there, if not then get something that would be fun, it's your choice. And it's not going to get any easier to drive Bathurst given that motorsport continues to get more expensive and regulated.

huh? Pretty sure I said it would be awesome fun to drive across the top of the mountain. Not sure why you think it wouldn't be fun in the Soarer, other than you have no idea and just wanted to have a dig... I know it's not your kind of car, and you probably struggle to see how something with so little power could be fun, but for me it's about corner speed - big bhp isn't needed. To say it again, it's not about the car, it's about that event not suiting me. Another car isn't going to change that... I love driving to Soarer - it's great fun in the corners.

50 cars in 6km is not for me. For people who dream of opening up their big power cars down the straights, it probably is, but that does nothing for me. For those people who will be holding everyone up over the blind, cresting, concrete lined corners over the top of the mountain, it will also be great value. I just don't see how I can get my enjoyment out of that event with so many cars per km on such a challenging track that will scare people far more than Lakeside or Phillip Island, and take most of the regularity field a looong time to come to terms with. It's just not for me - even if it is the easiest way to get to drive around Bathurst under closed conditions. For me it's about pushing my limits in corners, and that's unlikely to happen much with so many cars and the nature of that track. Pottering around behind a slow car over the top of the mountain will be no more exciting for me than driving it at the speed limit any day of the week.

Edited by hrd-hr30

There are a heap of blokes from the Z car club going who have plenty of track experience, I wouldn't count on getting held up by a slower car in regularity if I was you. If your top speed is 200kph then you will be the one in the way on the straights at least. Anyway the point I was trying to make was that if you want to run Bathurst then this opportunity is likely to be as good as it gets with the Soarer. It's up to you of course, makes no difference to me.

There are a heap of blokes from the Z car club going who have plenty of track experience, I wouldn't count on getting held up by a slower car in regularity if I was you. If your top speed is 200kph then you will be the one in the way on the straights at least. Anyway the point I was trying to make was that if you want to run Bathurst then this opportunity is likely to be as good as it gets with the Soarer. It's up to you of course, makes no difference to me.

you're going aren't you?

that vid you posted smells like racing to me, not regularity - full cages, names on windows, sponsors, wacko paintjobs...

We have several Zeds from WA who are going to run in our group, all experienced motorsport blokes a couple of who participated in Easter Bathurst. But we need more regularity Nissan/Datsuns, where are they all????

I've changed my mind about this the other week.....I'd figured it was for porsche drivers to putt around. But then I did the full track and now I've got a new favourite track, and I'm interested to see what the GTR can do in the sprint (where there is no mimimum time).

I don't know the minimum time they will set for the regularity but if it's like the easter run at 2.40 its still pretty quick for an average car. The production race cars were doing 2.27 to 2.40ish.

Also, I wouldnt be worried about 50 cars, assuming some good grouping the traffic wont be impossible.