SAU Community

GOT SUM's RB34

31 minutes ago, Robzilla32 said:

So much progress!
Are you unemployed but wealthy?
Stay at home dad with wealthy Mrs?
Teetotal?

Hahah if only, that would be the dream. Nah I'm a sparky, shifts jump around all the time. I was on nights last week then days mon tues and now back on nights for the next couple weeks so will be good time to get a few more things done on her while waiting for the head.

Got a little bit more done on her today. Hardlines almost finished, just have to drill out a couple holes and put the nutserts in. Come up pretty good so far. Also picked up a few fittings and sorted the surge tank block. Bulkheads are installed just need to get the hose down to the hardline and plumb it all up. Decided to go hardline in the boot now as I've got a heap left over from undercar. Hopefully get it a bit sexier in the boot.

qaSJqKd.jpg

BXfhM9s.jpg

gVJYh9P.jpg

IdoSxFo.jpg

LQzPVvM.jpg

OiCmy7O.jpg

Bm9lSU7.jpg

35OOR3D.jpg

• Like 3

Small update, picked up covers that i got dechromed and painted body colour. What an expensive process... looks top shit though! New 26 head is due back tomorrow so next week can put it on and check piston to valve clearances and stuff. Couple gaskets to get as well for exhaust mani too. Car SHOULD be up and running next month. 

Gotta pull the baffles out and give them a clean up, does anyone know where to get new foam inserts?

uQqOGRn.jpg

Cheers matr, end up getting some foam from highoctane.

Exciting stuff happening now! Picked up the head on thursday and starting checking/assembling it all. 

Head is RB26, ferrea 0.5mm stainless valves, bronze valve guides, full 'raceport', and running the custom kelford 272 10.25 cams from the 25 head.

aK4GOi6.jpg

NAAlewW.jpg

Put some playdough in to check piston to valve clearances with the 1.2 gasket and dropped the head on.

wPXKDp8.jpg

Cuorev9.jpg

Put cams and timing gear on to check tdc and set the cam centerlines.

gFojWa9.jpg

Then wanted to strap on the fun stuff for a pic! Cant wait to finish it off.

VbC8SEh.jpg

• Like 7

How much piston to valve clearence do you have?

I just done this but used the checking spring method, got some light duty springs from bunnings and switched these in cyl 1 and 6 on an inlet and exhaust valve.

Was able to check clearence from 20 degrees btdc to 20 degrees atdc every 2 degrees to see exactly how much clearence there was. With the light springs installed it was as easy as gently pressing down on the lifter until it made contact.

1 hour ago, NEO25T said:

How much piston to valve clearence do you have?

I just done this but used the checking spring method, got some light duty springs from bunnings and switched these in cyl 1 and 6 on an inlet and exhaust valve.

Was able to check clearence from 20 degrees btdc to 20 degrees atdc every 2 degrees to see exactly how much clearence there was. With the light springs installed it was as easy as gently pressing down on the lifter until it made contact.

Haven't measure yet, was more to check if the 1.2 gasket was going to work ok. 

Still need to pull it down and decide if I wanna get CA625 headstuds or not and install new timing kit and waterpump.

Pulled the motor apart for final clean and assembly. Cleaned block, sprayed some hylomar on the headgasket and let it sit for a bit while we cleaned the head down. Popped headgasket on, installed headstuds and dropped the head on and torqued it up then pulled all the buckets up to check the shims hadn't popped out or anything. 

ukimmrB.jpg

Have ordered a few bits and pieces from kudos, needed new waterpump, timing belt, idler and tensioner, RB26 backing plate with fitting kit, rear belt guide, cam cover bolt rubbers, cometic intake and exhaust gaskets and probably a couple other things as well. So motor should almost be ready to go soon ?

• Like 4

Overnight parts from JAPAN arrived today (not really, just Kudos). Bolted the water pump on after a slight hack job to get it to fit because of the oil gallery bung at the front of the block. Fitted up new idler, tensioner and gates timing belt as well as a new cam cover back plate, old one was a hacked up 25 one... New OEM Nissan parts make me happy ?

Tomorrow if I have time I'll finish off the front and put the covers and balancer on. Might even get to drop it in next week before I go away :O

PRgxSfZ.jpg

• Like 2

Didn't really do much on her this arvo, not much left to do really. Cleaned the second cam cover out and installed the foam and baffle ready to get installed. Got bored and put it together but covers have to come back off cause mate wants to check centerlines with the new timing belt installed. 

So excited to finally get it in the car after the LONG wait... Motor is silky smooth turning it by hand, should purr like a kitten ?

li1S5jU.jpg

wZSuGNj.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

No progress atm. Have been away the past week soaking up the sun on Fraser Island. Will be back at it this week. Have ordered a 140A LS alternator kit from @rat32r which will arrive this week! 

Hoping to get the motor in soon, couple things to install on it before we drop it in though. 

Stay tuned!

• Like 2

So she got towed down to the shop this arvo. First time I've seen the car on the welds not in the garage. Look absolutely sexual, super happy with them! 

VU9ERkY.jpg

XH43rcV.jpg

Got it down the shop and had to take a quick snap with the motor. Super excited to get it in the car running. Should be more progress this week :)

• Like 7

So we dropped the motor in today to see how it would sit in the car with turbo etc. Motor sits in a sweet position but manifold sits the turbo a bit high and bonnet wont shut :( So gonna have to put some r32 gtr engine mounts in to drop it down 20mm and i hope to go it will shut... Also have a bit of cutting to do on the passenger guard to make the turbo fit how we want it. 

The wastegate is also in a pretty shitty spot, very tight but hopefully once the compressor cover is clocked how we want it it will all work out. 

Might throw the box in and start fabbing up exhaust and things once I sort the engine mounts out. Gotta wait for new SDE converter to be made early next month as well.

For the cold side we have decided to go all out and get a hypertune v2 twin rail plenum and 90mm TB and also hypertune 600x325x100 cooler. Will be running 12x1000cc injectors as opposed to 6x2000s as we will be able to control them better for 98 tuning hopefully. 

This should all happen within the next month or so, so stay tuned! 

Same same but different

QF7oRUD.jpg

UgR81Vf.jpg

KS1fRTk.jpg

nuzzFeX.jpg

• Like 4

Bit of progress on GOT SUM today :) Managed to find some Nismo GTR engine mounts cheap so picked them up and put them in. Little bit of modding the brackets to get them to sit flush on the mount but nothing too crazy. 5 mins with the grinder and got it sitting nicely. Cleaned the bonnet by about 5mm, hopefully it doesn't lift too much being the torque side. Might have to put an engine damper on or something if we have issues there. The sump sits pretty low now as well which is a bit of a worry with a fair bit still to go onto it. Might have to get some coilovers to put in there and lift it up a bit so I don't bash it on shit.

Mounted the gearbox temporarily as well so we can start fabbing up the exhaust. Just have to order a new vband flange and we can start. It's going to be fun routing the front gate in there as it's very tight next to the compressor cover but we should be able to get it to work. 

1hg6KSW.jpg

SmNqUvV.jpg

06dc68R.jpg

l1UHSyM.jpg

DsLsFHV.jpg

WfXZLWj.jpg

Also almost finished off the hardlines. They're all mounted to the body underneath just need to fix it in the bay and we should be good to go. That will get done this week as well as the surge tank plumbing. It's all slowly coming together, should look pretty cool once it's all done :)

48JZuvT.jpg

YEC2cG4.jpg

• Like 3