SAU Community

GOT SUM's RB34

No skid vids unfortunately, I had to work last night then got canned and got home, filled it up and now the box is slipping in low gear. Hopefully it just needs a band adjustment to get it going again. If not I'll pull it out and get it rebuilt with upgraded parts inside and replace anything weak in it so it takes the new motor no worries. Problem after problem atm ? Fingers crossed once the box is fixed we can go out and run a 10 so I can sell this package and start on the new setup asap!

Pulled a few things off it today for a squizz. It has tomei cam gears in it already which saves me buying a set. Pulled the cam cover off and its bloody clean in there as expected! Can see where it's been clearanced for the big cams as well. 

Pulled the throttle body off the intake manifold and had a play with it, it's not the best quality TB so I'll probably end up getting a plazmaman one when I order my intercooler. Should be right with a 72mm TB with the plazmaman 76mm clamp to mate to the cooler piping no worries. Should keep it nice and responsive and flow a heap more through it. I have decided on a colour scheme as well. I wanted to go red covers but these ones are already chrome plated so might as well use them. Decided to go ceramic coated black for the dump, manifold and rear housing and ceramic silver for the front cover and intake manifold. 

5yyzUL5.jpg

b1mnGWw.jpg

68X3BOr.jpg

• Like 1

I just had my manifold, housing and dump ceramic coated black, havent driven it yet but after letting the motor come up to temp and giving a few good revs it still puts off a stupid amount of heat.

Definitely putting the bag on the turbo and wrapping the dump to start with.

Your colour scheme sounds good, cant wait to see it in and running ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NEO25T said:

I just had my manifold, housing and dump ceramic coated black, havent driven it yet but after letting the motor come up to temp and giving a few good revs it still puts off a stupid amount of heat.

Definitely putting the bag on the turbo and wrapping the dump to start with.

Your colour scheme sounds good, cant wait to see it in and running ?

Yeah man we'll see how the turbo sits on the mani, most ive seen with a 42 it sits really close to the rocker cover and can't fit a beanie on. Thinking about getting the mani pushed forward a bit more though like a promod style that will fit a 45r for future upgrades. I'm not a massive fan of the dump wrap but if I put a beanie on I might wrap the dump to match it. 

Success today! Had the turbo water return hose split, cut it off and put the fitting back on and no more leak. 

Jacked the car up to have a look at the band adjustment which is what google said was wrong according to the symtoms. Lone behold the nut had magically loosened off and the screw had come out about 10mm. Screwed it back in to where the nut was plus a bit and took it for a strap down in mexico. Vids below, had my mickeys on aswell... 

20180422_133543.mp4

20180422_133725.mp4

Edited by klutched
  • Like 2

Had to day off today so decided to start stripping the 3.4 down. All looks pretty good. Sleeves have fire rings in them so should have a sweet seal with the HG.

Also greddy plenum looks to have been port matched and cleaned up inside which is pretty cool 8)

Nitto HG and pump should be ordered next week and throw it all back together. Fingers crossed this saturday will be the day and can finally start moving onto the next chapter 8)

jmzMIEx.jpg

soo5pjM.jpg

BlZZt3S.jpg

UEzm9PX.jpg

gZG5vCA.jpg

SEUa98h.jpg

• Like 3

Decided to pull the block down for inspection, gonna give it a freshen up while its apart. Probably acid bath the block, hone, new rings, new bearings and give the block a lick of paint. 

IRj0fEJ.jpg

1CCjrfP.jpg

Custom oil rings on the pistons, might look at upgrading the gudgeon pins as well while it's all apart.

GM7pKFh.jpg

• Like 1

Finally she's done it ? Car felt awesome absolutely hooked off the line!

First run ran a 10.983, second was a 10.91 then third was the PB. Called it a night as it was busy and achieved what I wanted. Now onto bigger and better things :D

sWRO0os.jpg

CQZhLHv.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Been away for work the past 3 weeks but managed to pop back home for a breaky and laps 2 weekends ago. Had a good day out there. Quick vid I slapped together on my phone, sorry for potato quality... 

Have ordered bottom end goodies for the bottom end so should be off to the machinist sometime next week. Ordered Nitto oil pump, Nitto headgasket, spool girdle plate, 0.250" gudgeon pins and also got a head drain for it as well. Machinist is busy atm so 3-4 week wait on it so hopefully have it back mid-late next month. Fingers crossed all in and running in July :D

• Like 1

Spool gear arrived today, still waiting on nitto parts before I can send off to machinist. Ordered a Yella Terra Billet flexplate today which should be up here in a couple days. Will also be ordering my manifold and turbosmart fpr2000 and twin compgate 40s ?

Also sold my setup on the weekend so time to take the old girl out for its new owner. Hopefully its not a prick to do. Ill pull the box out tomorrow and then just radiator. Unbolt all the ancillaries and should just pop out ?

WgIlnxz.jpg

Engine bay is looking slightly emptier than normal. Exhaust, intercooler, box, radiator etc are all out. Motor just needs to be craned out now to go to new owner. 

ZaRIsOM.jpg

LoSD25j.jpg

Goodies arrived this week ? Spool girdle, head drain and upgraded 0.250" pins.

cl5XvOA.jpg

Also my Yella Terra Billet explosion proof flexplate turned up too! Nice bit of gear. Cant wait to get it behind the new motor :D

fQD7sdt.jpg

QUcrNT4.jpg

Ordered most of the hot side bar the turbo which I'll be ordering next week. Will be running a 6Boost T4 twin scroll manifold with twin Turbosmart compgate 40's. Coming with the turbosmart stuff is also an FPR2000 and a 4port boost solenoid. 

Also found a new sump, pickup and dipstick for new motor because it didnt come with one as it was dry sumped. I'll get that next week and send it off to ASR Oilpans to be made into one of their drag comp sumps. 

Hoping to get engine bay stripped and ready for paint but looks like I'll be going away for work for a couple of weeks which will delay any progress :(

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So my old setup got picked up on the weekend :( I miss driving it already... 

f9rSlr2.jpg

On the other hand nitto gear arrived, flat out at work atm so gotta find some time to go grab it all and take it to the machinist. 

Been doing little bits and pieces in the bay after work everyday, slowly getting there. Just need to pull the fuse block out of the fuse box and pull the rest of the loom out, pull brake booster when I can get in on the drivers side, pull aircon and headlights and then just feed everything back into the cab and take her down for paint :D Probably get bay and underbonnet done to make it look schmick ?

N69Bwmq.jpg

• Like 1

Little by little! Loom is out of the front as is everything else except thr aircon. Almost have all the little clips pulled out except for a few that are under the inner guards that I cant get to. Might jack her up this arvy and pull the brake lines and rest of clips maybe even pull the loom back into the cabin.

BoEul2d.jpg

eZZSTfH.jpg

• Like 1

So finally got some spare time this arvo and went and picked up my nitto stuff and bottom end to take to my machinist :D Hopefully a month and I'll have it back and if all goes to plan the rest of the parts will be ready to go as well! Super keen now it's moving along properly :)

4lLzpgl.jpg

6w9qv1k.jpg

• Like 4