SAU Community

Damaged Skyline 370gt - Advice Needed On Smash Repair Quotes

Hi guys

Our Skyline recently got damaged at a BP station (while turning hit a small pole which wasn't visible) which we are hoping to repair back to the original condition. We contacted two smash repairs in Sydney who provided the attached quotes with total being around 10K and 6.5K respectively.

Quote 1 company said cash price could be around 8K (excluding the miscellaneous section in the quote, which is separate to the actual damage repairs). These guys did a great job with a previous repair where another car reared into our vehicle. Both companies recommended to replace the applicable parts instead of repairing existing parts however it's a bit unclear to us why there's some price difference between the quotes. It would be much appreciate if anyone could assist with the queries below:

- Does the quotes look right for the work that's necessary?

- How do we know these are genuine parts (door/QTR panel etc.)?

- Is it okay to replace these parts or is repair possible (or better)?

As we do not have comprehensive insurance on the vehicle we are just hoping to ensure that we are not being ripped off while ensuring that the quality of the work is top notch (which we are happy to pay for).

Any advice / recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Quote1.pdf

Quote2.pdf

post-94510-0-70166500-1464003585_thumb.jpg

post-94510-0-81191800-1464003588_thumb.jpg

post-94510-0-59221300-1464003591_thumb.jpg

Edited by protik

First quote has a crap load of extra, possibly unnecessary work. Resetting computer codes for 160, repaint all wheels? Even paint correction won't be needed. Even battery disconnection costs money, what are they smoking there?

...and no, it's not OK to repair those panels. They'll never be anywhere near as good as replacement panels and most repairers wouldn't waste their time trying to get it to the same result as a new panel. It costs more money and with filler, etc, it's still a crap job that no respectable repairer would put their name to.

Sounds pretty expensive to me. If I was you I would call a few import yards and try source a second hand door and a rear quarter yourself. This will take time so they will charge you for that.

I think the quote should be closer to 6k

With that sort of damage, replacing them should be the only way to go. I can understand the first repairer wanting to do paint correction etc but not necessary. Looks to me he's just being very comprehensive in fixing everything lol.

Edited by colin.ssc