SAU Community

Tein HA - Damper and Height Settings?

Hi all,

I've picked me up a set of Tein HA coilovers and would like to get a few opinions on what damper and height settings I should use.

I want the rears to be as grippy as possible because I enjoy going to the drag strip. All I expect from the front is to out perform the stockies in corners.

Any help would be great.

Form what I know you would want the damper at the softer end of the range but not the softest - around 3-4 clicks from softest setting. As for height I like my cars low for cosmetic reasons, if you PM someone like sydneykid he will give you some good advice.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same myself.

I dug up these settings:

...here are the recommended rear suspension settings for

a road/drag GTST

Wheel centre to guard – 350 mm

Camber – 0 to 0.5 degrees negative

Toe – in 0 to 0.5 mm each side

Spring rate - not over 200 lbs per inch

Stabiliser bar - not over 24 mm diameter solid bar

Remove the HICAS and replace with solid bar.

The only thing that’s troubling me now is the spring rate. I'm sure these spings are higher than 200lbs. The Tein website states that the damper rate can be adjusted from "stock" to "N1 race car". My next question is how does the spring rate effect the damper rates? Can a tougher spring be compensated with a softer damper rate?

It seems obvious (to me) that setting the damper rate to the softer end of the scale would be the way to go?

The only thing that’s troubling me now is the spring rate. I'm sure these spings are higher than 200lbs. The Tein website states that the damper rate can be adjusted from "stock" to "N1 race car". My next question is how does the spring rate effect the damper rates? Can a tougher spring be compensated with a softer damper rate?

It seems obvious (to me) that setting the damper rate to the softer end of the scale would be the way to go?

Sorry riggaP, you CAN NOT compensate for hard springs by backing off the damper rate in the shocks. Simplistically the spring has a rate in compression (sometime called bump or, in Janglish, bound) and most adjustable shocks have adjustable damper rates for extension (sometimes called rebound). The rebound damping needs to be sufficient to control the spring rate, otherwise you drive down the street looking like a pogo stick. So by backing of the shock rate you just make it worse.

My suggestion, as always, is to get the right spring rate, in the case of a GTST destined for the drags, that means keeping the spring rate as close to 200 lbs as possible.

In comparison to making more engine power, springs are cheap, for less than $200 you can improve the 1/4 times by more than $2K spent on the engine would.

Hope that helps :D

Whiteline can make almost any spring, coil overs are certainly not a problem. All they need is the two main dimensions, being the inside diameter of the coil and the free height. They can then design them up using whatever spring rate you want. They are obviously not "off the shelf" there are simply too many possible combinations. So you may have to wait a week or two while they are made.

Hope that helps :)

I put the HA's on yesterday and I must say that I'm impressed. I have the car at a legal height, with the damper set 4 clicks from squishy, and she handles great. Traction off the line has not really been affected, which isnt a bad thing considering how much harder the springs are.

SK you were spot on about the "pogo stick" effect on the super squishy setting :) so I'm definately going to get some softer springs. 200lbs for the rears and what do you recommend for the front?

I put the HA's on yesterday and I must say that I'm impressed. I have the car at a legal height, with the damper set 4 clicks from squishy, and she handles great. Traction off the line has not really been affected, which isnt a bad thing considering how much harder the springs are.

SK you were spot on about the "pogo stick" effect on the super squishy setting :) so I'm definately going to get some softer springs. 200lbs for the rears and what do you recommend for the front?

There are so many answers ot that one, based on, what do you use the car for?

Primary use is a daily driver. My car will see everyday roads far more than any drag strip or track. However, I enjoy going to the drags so I want the rears to be as grippy as possible off the line. I plan to go on a few track days in the future so I suppose a spring rate that handles really well yet is comfortable enough to absorb minor pot holes, and not bounce over speed humps etc.

Cheers SK, will have a chat with them.

My car is pretty stable and predictable on the track, since i havent taken it down since the Tein's went on. however i use full hard front and 12 clicks back!