SAU Community

E36 M3 Rb26dett Build From The States

Hello fellow members. I am starting this thread to share and document my experience i have had and will have with this project of mine. After many other project cars in my past such as a Lotus Elise, Lotus Exige, Dodge viper, and Noble M400, I wanted to get my hands back on something that i could be a little more involved in. I enjoy tinkering and modifying cars of mine, and had the want to start a project that was unique and more challenging than the typical.

I'm sure its safe to say that a lot of people on here have the same love and desire to own an authentic GTR at some point in out lives. I decided to look around at the different options to swap an RB26, but as said before, didnt want to take the typical route of swapping an s13/s14/datsun cars. While on this search, I stumbled across a group named Dryden Motorsports that made a mount kit for the European E36 chassis and the RB26dett motor set. I picked up this kit first and then started my search of the perfect donor car for a new heart.

Before too long, I came across a 1999 M3 in Nashville Tennessee that i felt like I could not pass up. Alot of people said that spending the extra money to get a true M3 would be a waste of money as the sedan or more basic coupes could be had for a fraction of the price. This car just spoke to me though as it had little modifications and made a perfect blank canvas to start my journey. Without further a due, here is a couple pictures of the car as it was when i bought it and drove it back home to Kentucky.... I dont have many pictures of how it started, but you get the idea...

image_zpsxxqmki0t.jpg

image_zpsezmyqjxo.jpg

S52%20Engine_zpszkvegqua.jpg

image_zps3uye59ow.jpg

I also had the RB26 motor set shipped to me along with the mount kit and custom sump sitting and waiting for me when i got home with the car. here is a quick shot just for record as well.....

image_zpsmsj2et5q.jpg

As i started I started to plan out my plan of action, I first convinced myself that I just wanted to freshen up the motor with oem parts and run the stock twins at stock boost. Then of course the modifying bug bit me. I convinced myself that I may as well go balls out and do as much as I can, and should ever want to while the motor was out. After considering all options and contacting many different shops to handle the build of the longblock, I decided to trust the guys at Raw Brokerage with the build.

I sent them my long block along with a mess of goods to include:

Wiseco Forged pistons, Manley H-beam, ACL rod/main bearings, ARP rod bolts, ARP main studs, ARP head studs, Nitto crank extended crank collar, N1 oil pump, OEM water pump, Tomei MLS headgasket, Tomei Oil restrictor, Greddy timing belt and new tensioner/idler.

Along with this I sent a complete OEM gasket set. They worked their magic and did all the machine work to include the stage one short block, and the Stage one cylinder head.

They bolted the long block back together to torque spec and i received this piece of art back on a pallet via UPS....

image_zps3ew8szno.jpg

image_zpspb7qcexv.jpg

image_zpsxkhcfbpo.jpg

image_zpsip7ad0qw.jpg

image_zpsmyp2gykk.jpg

image_zpssadf0ipk.jpg

image_zpsmpjrikap.jpg

image_zpsexzruokw.jpg

and here is the motor after i got to work installing the intake plenum back on, along with having the oem manifold sand blasted to a clean cast look....

image_zpsaakgtsiy.jpg

I will leave this post with a quick shot of the mounts that i received from Dryden Motorsports

image_zpss3okoqgf.jpg

image_zpsuapyap7b.jpg

I will continue to update this thread with my endeavors.....

• Like 1

From here i was very quick to start pulling the BMW's drivetrain and came out with this.....

image_zps3nnxb5ab.jpg

image_zps8ltbwbu9.jpg

I also took this time to mate up my Spec stage 3 clutch the Raw Brokerage provided me. I also took my RB25det Transmission to a local shop here and had the dis-assemble and inspect. I was very relieved to hear that all was good to go internally. they actually told me they were quite surprised on how clean it was inside. I will also attach a picture of the first time I mated the tranny to the motor....

image_zpsltorutl6.jpg

image_zps4anqusoc.jpg

image_zpswg5skzhn.jpg

more later..... thanks for viewing

- - - Updated - - -

sooooooo, on my first attempt on placing the motor into its new home, I learned a few things that may need some minor tweaking. So when i mentioned earlier that i was planning a minor build, this eventually turned into this built motor idea, so of course we need more boost correct? lol. I decided to pick up a set of Greddy T517z's off an R32 in Australia. Man were these thing beautiful.... not to mention they have a $3000 plus price tag new......

image_zpsbxbvjqlm.jpg

image_zpso7c4yvtj.jpg

not all good things can be true though. I soon found out that these turbos would not work. First issue was that the mounts I planned on using was made for the oem size turbos and not a larger frame like the Greddy units. Once I tried to install the mounts, I found they came in contact with the exhaust housing and does not allows the mount arms to mount to the motor.... sad times.

image_zpsauduc3f6.jpg

so back to the drawing board in the forced induction side of things......... I decided it may be time to consider going to a large single

- - - Updated - - -

While cleaning up my tears on the turbo issues, I decided to make my first test run of installing the motor/tranny and moving forward from there. After the first attempt to install, It was not easy by any means. for some reason I could not get any of the holes to line up to where i was comfortable. I eventually decided to ditch the rubber mounts that came with the Dryden kit and source my own. I think that another member on this forum doing an RB25 swap had the same issues and correct the issue himself, so i decided to follow suit.

I found myself be be highly resourceful and made a set of 240sx poly mounts made by Circuit Sport work perfectly.

image_zpshl1rcpyc.jpg

i will also use this post to explain how i made the power steering and the cooler work with this swap. I decided to use a Chasebays power steering reservoir, Earl's pwer steering braided lines, and found the perfect cooler made by Derale that mounted in the OEM location and had -6an fittings. I also had to use a couple an adaptors on the steering rack as well, but was very happy with the outcome....

image_zpsel3kdx8l.jpg

image_zpsnzn8qrn2.jpg

image_zpsedog84lk.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

my next puzzle that I decided to tackle was going to be the radiator issue. The OEM BMW radiator caused its own set of issues. First issue was going to be the inlet was on the incorrect side for the RB motor. The second issue was how the OEM radiator mounted left ZERO clearance with the PS pump. They physically touched. From here, I knew that i would going to have to be resourceful on picking a radiator and tuck it under the radiator support. I decided to take a Mishimoto unit from an S14 and making my own brackets. I had to grind down the frame horns, and trim up the radiator support a little, but came out with this. I will attempt to get a picture soon of the clearance this game me and update this post

image_zps2fkyeat0.jpg

image_zpspkpgzlzn.jpg

Next up was to decide what route I was going to take with the forced induction department. I decided that going to a larger single may be the way to go to utilize the space I have and to take full advantage of the motor that I have built from top to bottom to handle a fair amount of boost.

For the manifold, I turned to the guys over at DOC RACE to churn out a beautiful manifold for me. These pieces really are works of art. They hand weld all of their units and hand port them before shipping them out to customers. I decided to go with a single scroll with a Tial MVR wastegate flange. On a side note, I found a good deal on a Tial MVR and Tial blow off valve. I emailed back and forth with Tial and confirmed they were authentic. On to some pictures.

image_zpszrlq7g2u.jpg

image_zpsy7lb9nln.jpg

image_zpsr564foiz.jpg

image_zps5els9hdy.jpg

image_zpsezghe8im.jpg

for the turbo, after much debate and searching I decided to settle on a brand new Precision 6766 with the posted H cover. I was surprised on how massive this thing was when i first held it in person..... I will put up a picture of the turbo by my daughter for reference. LOL

image_zpsn09pptys.jpg

The intercooler, I decided to choose the Treadstone TR1235. I read many good things about this unit, and it actually is a very stout unit for the money. Very well built. The end tanks even have a baffle to divert air evenly throughout the core....

image_zpsmugnjdei.jpg

image_zpsu8dwwyw1.jpg

Fueling..... So far I have collected parts to include a Sard billet fuel rail, Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors, Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and a Fuelab pressure gauge....

I am still debating on what route to take with the fuel pumps. I plan on making custom stainless steel braided lines. Here are some pictures.....

image_zpsvbsjkb8w.jpg

image_zps4ss891fa.jpg

image_zpscdjuyyrf.jpg

image_zpstfwzwtpq.jpg

Last couple updates for you all. I took some time to get the turbo mounted where it is going to be. Man will it be a tight squeeze, but i think I can make it work. I am leaning towards purchasing the Chase Bays ABS delete, and maybe the booster delete from them as well to make more room for the downpipe.

I also spent some time finding a solution to mounting the oil cooler. I knew i was going to put it in the kidney bean grills, and ended up just bolting it down to the bumper beam. I will post a picture to explain. I'm not sure of how to route the lines though as it is a tight fit in there. The whole oil cooler set up consists of Earls spin on adapter, Earls Billet remote filter mount, Earls remote oil thermostat, and a Mocal 10 row oil cooler.

image_zpsmkyyjkbp.jpg

image_zps3ejcrnri.jpg

I also found a local group here to me that does some nice work. I will let the pictures speak for themselves on the before and after...

image_zpsjfq4h04j.jpg

image_zpsamrd97r5.jpg

image_zps6qnssa2g.jpg

image_zpsixeouvho.jpg

I also received a nice package from Wiring Specialties. They are also a nice group of guys that do good work...

image_zpssbokl9mp.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, I had just a little time to work on the car this weekend. I decided to tackle the oil cooler issue. I listed in a previous thread the parts I was planning on using, but had spent that last week or so deciding where to mount the remote filter mount and where to mount the remote thermostat block. I bought most of the goods from Summit Racing, and chose the brand of Vibrant racing for the fitting and hoses. After dealing with these and Fragola, I would have to say that the Fragola was easier to assemble. After mounting the filter mount, I had to go find a filter that was a good fit for it. I brought the Earls part with me to walmart and tried many different filters, but ended up going with the K&N PS1002. I know that i will have to drop the oil and change this filter after running the motor for the first time. Anyway, On to a couple pictures. The black lines are a little tough to see, but I think you will get the point....

image_zpszailpqmy.jpg

image_zpshwnyrujk.jpg

image_zpszfvtn5kj.jpg

image_zps9a5alraw.jpg

image_zpsxu4uzv9b.jpg

image_zpskj9nmqxd.jpg

image_zpstu9ccjue.jpg

image_zpsjrid9vtj.jpg

I also spent just a little time trying a location for the FPR and ran my first line from the rail. I ran out of daylight and had to stop before making any more progress....

image_zpskzwftujm.jpg

Hello again all. Long time no see. Today was one of those days for me that I am sure we all have had. Ever had one of those work days where you are in the garage all day, but you feel like you got not much done at all? In all reality, alot got done, but not as much as I had wanted. I decided to spend some time on the fuel lines.

I went back and forth on the idea of keeping rubber fuel lines, with barbed fitting on the rail and the FPR. At the end of the day, I decided to go with stainless braided lines due to the Sard rail coming with 6an fittings, and the Fuelab filter having -6an fittings on the ends. So then I came to the problem of how and at what point I should convert from the hardlines to the braided lines. On previous builds I cut, and double flared the hardline to convert. I have read now there are compression fitting for this job. I decided to give them a shot. Worst case would be to take them off if they do not work, then flare the old way.

Will start the picture by showing what I started with....

image_zpsz805zwrm.jpg

And here is the OEM BMW FPR set up.....

image_zpsehjriod2.jpg

Here is a side by side of the OEM filter and the Fuelab.....

image_zpsxkz1cqma.jpg

Here is the first compression fitting I attempted to install. Keep in mind the picture does not show the finished product. I will still find a way to mount the line in the OEM bracket.....

image_zpsfl8xhejb.jpg

image_zpslickxlws.jpg

image_zps00fua9hl.jpg

image_zpsdh9sgxiy.jpg

I didnt have much time to run the return line from the regulator. I actually realized that I was missing one more fitting. I need one more -6an hose union to finish the fuel return..... but will show off the lines i did have time to assemble

image_zpsckmdgt3s.jpg

I will post one more engine bay picture for good measure:angel:

image_zpshqgal5tv.jpg

• Like 1

Another very small update for you all this past weekend. I have not been able to make a ton of good progress due to unfortunately coming down with an illness, and waiting on some packages.

I did get a Small package from Japan though. Nothing that was a huge surprise, but still took forever to get here.

When I bought my swap, it came with a set of Splitfire coilpacks. I was pretty pumped as it was a surprise under the coil cover. upon inspection though, I found that one of the shit out its guts and was of no use. This left me with 5 that were still usable. there were only a couple companies that sold a single pack and cost an arm and a leg, but didnt see another option, unless I wanted to go back to 20 year old OEM coils. I also decided to take the time to put fresh NGK sparkplugs in. I went to a plug that was one step colder for future goals.....

Will update again once packages start arriving this week.

image_zpswhb1r54t.jpg

image_zpsyekghbn9.jpg

image_zpsfau3tmsf.jpg

image_zpsvbdxukor.jpg

image_zpsqu73wcj4.jpg

Hello again guys. I received another package in the mail today, this time being from the great guys at Chase bays..... :2f2f:

image_zpshdghxvrf.jpg

image_zpsrxoivhzu.jpg

You might be asking, what might this be?...... I chose to purchase an item that seems to be seen as skeptical in the BMW world. I decide to purchase the entire ABS/brake booster delete from this group. A lot of people question this modification due to the effect it will have on braking performance, but Chase Bays claims to have sized the Wilwood Master cylinder just right to not have much difference in braking performance. I decided to go with this modification for the sole purpose of space needed to generate a down pipe for my swap. I also purchased the bias valve and brake lines to make it a complete package....

image_zpsapjqcxzz.jpg

image_zpsylobkkft.jpg

I also decided to weigh in the difference between the setups just for reference for anyone that may be interested. Along with the space this kit saves, and the visual appearance, It also saves around 16 pounds for those hardcore weight savings people out there.... Pictures for proof.....

image_zpskwhdykv9.jpg

image_zps4gxidj0r.jpg

I have posted pictures previously of what the OEM setup looked like and how crowded it made the drivers side engine bay look. Here is a picture of what that area looks like with the OEM setup taken out. BTW, it was a BI@$% to lay under the dash on the interior and work to remove connections.....

image_zpsmcey5y5d.jpg

I got as far as I could with the install today. I came to a stopping point as the package i received from Chase Bays did not include a small bracket that it should have so that I could connect the Bias valve to the master cylinder. So I only got a chance to mount the booster delete plate and the master cylinder today.

The kit i purchased also came with a new feed hose for the OEM clutch master cylinder. I decided to use the OEM feed line as it fit perfect on the bulkhead fitting i attached to the Wilwood reservoir. I also came to this conclusion due to having to remove the entire pedal assembly just to get to the clutch master cylinder. A lot of work saved just by using the OEM feed line. Anyway, here are some pictures....

image_zpsax2yl1y2.jpg

image_zpspwa3zefb.jpg

• Like 1

Another small update for you all. I finally decided to take some time to tackle the fuel pump. I knew the OEM BMW pump would not support my goals using the 1000cc injectors and planning for around 20psi. I also didn't want to do anything crazy like a standalone fuel cell.

I decided to call upon a group called Rally Road that machined and install sleeve to make many after market pumps a drop in affair. I opted to pay a little more money and got the Aeromotive 345lph. I have read these pumps can support pretty big numbers when using 93 octane. Here is what the kit came with.....

image_zpsexrgwpby.jpg

I didn't get alot of picture when taking it apart, but its pretty straight forward. I was actually surprised how easy it was to remove the rear seat and gain access to the fuel pump assembly. I did take some pictures as I put it back together. I did make sure to shop vac alot of gunk that had built up on top of the assemblies. I also would like to note, I opted to connect the wiring the correct way by soldering and heat shrink the connections. You can see this if you look at the pictures close.

image_zpsphiqpxt3.jpg

image_zps4509hwx0.jpg

image_zps1qht6cop.jpg

image_zpsjmj0ivib.jpg

image_zpsbc9ahbcg.jpg

image_zpsa79fs03r.jpg

image_zpszcyblxuf.jpg

Another small update. Actually it was a large key to finishing up the build, but not alot to report. My custom driveshaft came in from Shaftmasters. I decided to go with the aluminum 3 inch variation. I was for sure a tight fit under the car but does fit. Here are a couple pictures for records. Sorry for the crappy pictures under the car. I dont have a lift at my disposal. I tried to get shots of both ends....

image_zpsmzngxhhk.jpg

image_zpsi6gisd83.jpg

image_zps2klstamn.jpg

image_zpsvtabjc85.jpg

Hello again everybody. I wanted to post real quick since i have not in a while. I am in the process of purchasing my first home. Not a whole lot has happened with the car since I last posted. I am having Saikou Michi build me a custom catch can with my build. I have alos been gathering more and more parts to complete the downpipe, Exhaust, and charge piping (thanks to Treadstone and Vibrant Performance). The car will be running a 3.5" downpipe and keep that same size all the way to the rear of the car. I also plan to utilize 3" charge pipes from turbo the intake manifold. I did take the car to my Fab guy, which it is where it sits now to get all this done. I will post updates as he sends them to me.....

I can not believe how dirty the car got over the winter in the garage. It was the first time it saw daylight since the BMW motor was pulled....

image_zpsllapk3cc.jpg

image_zpswtawrvzy.jpg

image_zpsmsvrl0bd.jpg

image_zpsn9qh8esg.jpg

image_zpsogat8185.jpg

image_zpsqm6w5lua.jpg

Here are the first small updates I received from my car away from home.....

image_zpst0snthjw.jpg

image_zps4rxaxhmp.jpg

Ok guys, Just a small update with the car in the shop still getting some fabrication work done.

While the car has been at the shop I have decided to consider some heat management around the turbo and the manifold. I picked up a PTP turbo blanket, DEI fire sleeve for the turbo oil feed, A fire sleeve from Heatshield Products to protect the -10an turbo drain, some DEI titanium wrap for the down pipe, and some DEI gold tape that I plan on placing on the turbo intake and the cold side of the charge pipes. I also have picked up some Aluminum sheath from DEI that has yet to come in, for the protection on the fuel lines. I wont bore you all with much pictures on this post.

Most of the charge pipes were completed today. It is straight 3" aluminum from the turbo to the opening of the inlet manifold. I This the placement of the Tial BOV is ideal as close to the Throttle bodies as I could get. The one in the picture was just used for mock up. It was a spare the shop had laying. Mine will be in black.

On a side note, I hope to pick up my Haltech ECU this next week...... Cheers until next time....:2f2f:

image_zpsdjnnyslp.jpg

image_zpsnka7u7rs.jpg

image_zpsgszfwui4.jpg

Just a small update. I know I posted already today, but just got an update from my fabrication guy. He was able to totally finish up the charge pipes. He sent me some pictures of the lower portion of them that attach to the intercooler. Just thought I would share.

image_zps4hokmerc.jpg

image_zpssgyo8muq.jpg

And an update on the downpipe.

image_zpsk7pvtasu.jpg

image_zpsrb0ungcn.jpg

image_zpsufsghszw.jpg

image_zpsqg8ascb4.jpg

image_zpsnombxyso.jpg

Ok, got another update from my fab guy today. he was able to get the majority of the downpipe finished up. The piece really had to snake quite a bit to get around everything on its way down to the ground. Quite a few hours went into this piece. Once under the car, we still had some concerns on ground clearance using 3.5 pipe. Especially going under the transmission crossmember. Andrew, my fab guy suggested we use a small transition to an oval stainless steel portion go travel under said crossmember. I think the piece cam out great, and looks really good in person. The last picture makes the outlet of the downpipe look a little off center, but its just an illusion. The heat shield above the pipe is not secured and is a little offcenter causing this...... anyway.... :2f2f:

image_zps5vzrqddk.jpg

image_zpschr8bm9z.jpg

image_zpsaodisli3.jpg

Just a small update. Stopped by the Haltech location close to me (My fab guy actually is an employee there) to talk about my build and ended up paying them a ton of money..... :ugh: Keep in mind my actual ECU from Haltech is still in transit from Australia. I ended up picking up the WBC1 kit while I was there along with the display gauge that apparently is a newer release. They also convinced me to go ahead and get a boost control solenoid and a good IAT sensor since I will convert to MAP on the tune..... Anyway, just a quick shot.

image_zpsch5dppsc.jpg

Went by the Fab shop this morning to bring some exhaust wrap to throw on the downpipe before we bolted it in for good. He hopes to finish the exhaust this afternoon, but I snapped a few pictures while I was there....

image_zpspdh43kua.jpg

image_zpsdsv4zw76.jpg

image_zps9iv93a9y.jpg

image_zpsrnq0uon3.jpg

A better shot of the Charge pipes from underneath

image_zpsm2dnl6hq.jpg

And a good underneath shot of how the wastegate will be placed

image_zpsdugahp7b.jpg

• Like 1

Great project mate. Did the m3 get the strengthened floor in rear from factory? My mate ripped the floor out where the diff/subframe mounts in his!