SAU Community

Diy - How To Repair R33 Air Mix/blend Actuator

kingtube69

Hi All,

Recently my A/C would only blow stinking hot air which was awfully uncomfortable to drive in but it's been too cold to have it off. It started off that it was sporadic but eventually got worse. After some soul searching I found out that the part is a the Air Mix/Blend actuator which controls how much fresh air vs heater air comes through the vents.

Tools/Requirements:

- Soldering Iron and Solder

- Assorted Phillips head and flat head screw drivers

- Vice to hold everything

- Power supply to test the motor itself

- Permanent marker to mark existing points

- Sand paper

Difficulty:

- Low

Time Required:

- 1 Hour

Optional:

- Brand new OEM mix actuator

- Used OEM working mix actuator

1) Start by testing the actuator using the diagnostics system - If you have error 26, the problem is most certainly the actuator

http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/426605-aircon-diagnostics-r33/

2) Locate the actuator under the drivers side dash to the left

IMG_2738%20-%20Copy%202_zpslkzolefq.jpg

3) Remove cap holding the actuator rod in place, mark the rod for reference and pop the rod out of it's "seat"

IMG_2741_zps3nqwu145.jpg

IMG_2742_zpsi06eyiru.jpg

4) Disconnect the wiring connector from the mix actuator

5) Remove the three securing screws shown below and take the actuator out of the car

IMG_2738%20-%20Copy_zps5kfedpse.jpg

*over to the bench*

IMG_2750_zpsvhqfg41t.jpg

6) Mark some reference points on the arm for the actuator - This will make it easier to assemble again later

IMG_2756_zpstip1vpue.jpg

7) Unscrew the actuator off its mounting bracket

2_zpse6yy0rkz.jpg

8) Remove the two screws that seal the housing

1_zpsplxcjsqz.jpg

9) Using a flat head screwdriver gently pry the arm off the actuator

IMG_2764_zpswoboetgo.jpg

10) Separate the two clips that hold the housing together from the side and gently open the actuator case

IMG_2767_zpsbc3b2fz6.jpg

11) Remove all of the little gears from the housing and set them aside somewhere they won't roll away

IMG_2770_zpsjpvc2uzh.jpg

12) Remove the circuit board and motor from the housing to reveal the last large gear with contacts on it

IMG_2771_zpsq4uzrl1a.jpg

IMG_2774_zpsz9zhmfxd.jpg

13) Gently bend the contacts upwards to ensure they haven't been worn out and bent over time - Give the contacts a light sand at while you're at it

14) Clean the contact surface on the circuit board - I wasn't sure what sort of grease this was so I left a thin coat on the board anyway

IMG_2777_zpsyjomekbq.jpg

15) Connect a power source to the motor terminals to ensure the motor still functions - If not see the options above or look at a replacement motor (from Jaycar or other electronics stores or eBay)

16) Take your soldering iron and melt the solder on the joints of the board - Take the time to add a bit more solder where necessary

ddd_zpstrp6tkql.jpg

17) If all went well work your way back from step 12 and test the actuator again

• 8 months later...

does someone have a pic of what its suppose to look like when hooked up on the other side, ive just taken mine apart and put it together and it works when not hooked up to the door but when i hooked it up it wouldnt work, i think its just cause it fell off and now is in the wrong position.

with out it hooked up going full hot makes the arm move to the front of the car.  going full cold makes it move closer to the cabin/gearbox

But i cant seem to get it to line up with the door when i set it too full hot or full cold when i move the door myself

Edited by MatthewT85

• 3 years later...