SAU Community

Report that engine failure

GTRgeoff

Sometimes you have to convince yourself there is a silver lining....

skylinegal, if the TO4 blew at 21 psi I'd be asking for a refund, and how did they determine the boost was that high? I'd suggest they should be paying for the lot,and my opinion is a small claims court would have supported that as well. This is classic faulty component and workshop dodging the bullet. If the turbo built and held boost long enough to fail the pistons should be molten waste since it seems to be a standard engine, well the injectors at least and they can't supply enough fuel to protect it at that boost. Sorry to rain on the silver lining.

• 1 month later...

Not a huge failure as such but a pain in the arse to diagnose initially....and i think it worth a mention, feel free to remove it if you want.

Engine/Car:R32 GTS25

Type of failure:Engine cutting out at 4000rpm..ish, as it heated, cut out as low as 3000rpm, much like hitting rev limiter

Factors influencing the failure: Found out it was the exhaust cam sensor. Damn mitsubish(bitsofshitty) part

State of tune of the engine: Catback

Suspension and tyres: Stock

Oil used and service interval: Penzoil

General comments: A new one cost $700, snd hand was $300 (from memory) plus some diagnostic time etc....cost 450 all up.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Engine/Car: S1 R33 gtst

Type of failure:Big end bearing/bearings

Factors influencing the failure: Competing in motorkhana at the time. Doing constant high g force spins @ sustained high revs

State of tune of the engine: STD internals, PFC, FMIC, Hybrid T3/T4 with 48mm external wastegate and 4" turbo back exhaust, Halbro Fuel pump and Malpassi fuel reg, running 18psi

Suspension and tyres: Std

Oil used and service interval: Castrol R, 5000k

General comments: We suspect it suffered some oil surge, or maybe just general wear and tear after running 240rwkw on std internals for a pretty hard 40000 Klm's. 5 mins after race engine had bad knock (under load was OK) but still made a 2 hour journey home. On pull down, one of the bearings was so damaged the rod had some play when all of the rest were just scoured. Fair bit of bearing material in the sump. On the positive side it was a good reason to build the rb30det!

• 3 weeks later...

Engine/Car RB20det (niccs red top)/HR31

Type of failure: CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG/Fire

Factors: Busted AFM with a well used turbo and 32psi of boost

State of engine: Heavily Modded

Suspension and tyres: Rock Hard and Wide

Oil: Motul every 2000-6000km's (i didnt drive it much so 2000km's in 6 months was about average)

I got a few here that i never bothered to post up and one i only found out last week.

S13 Silvia, S1 RB25DET

mods: exhaust, ecu, pod, boost.

1. Well to start with the engine came out of a car that had been in a front on accident and therefore had a radiator rapped around the block. A weak part of the RB motors is where the waterpump protrudes from the block (the thermostat is behind). This caused a split (read: completely in half) of the water pump gallery. It had been welded up (albeit bronze welded) and then has cracked next to it. The Water Still Beads!!!

2. Excessive oil consumption. Oil used Fuchs mineral based 5w/40. Car has been off the road for 16 months saving for the rebuild. Problem not know until stripped head down last week. Result: #2 & #3 exhaust valves were not seating properly and not sealing, #4 had a carbon buildup and sludge all around the exhaust valve seats and had completely killed the seat.

Fix: Full rebuild with new bottom end. I purchased a bottom end already build with Forgies and heaps of stuff, had the head rebuilt and screwed together with a metal headgasket.

Cost? $5000 and still escalading. Suspect turbo will be next to go.

then in goes the cheap mineral detergent oil (OMD by shell classification, usually 115 grade) and i run an hour and dump again and replace filter and fill with the current favourite. Going to go up in viscosity this week though to 60, not sure of brand yet.

Do you get the OMD for the right price?? :rofl:

Cheers

Sumo

• 2 weeks later...

car:R32 GTR RB26DETT

actually got 2 rebuilds now..

first..

type of failure:spun bearing

mods:cat back/boost restirctor taken out/and pod filter.

suspected reason:shifted down to 2nd gear and hit the rev limiter (stupid driving)

and it starved oil..

2nd

same car

same failure spun bearing/ conrod went into the side of the engine..

suspected reason: car had forged internals and so on. and was still on stock ECU and had bad fuel.

detonated and also 1 of the Turbos were seized and didnt return the oil back to the sump.

happened in a really really slow drive like driving at 60km/h

]']car:R32 GTR RB26DETT

actually got 2 rebuilds now..

first..

type of failure:spun bearing

mods:cat back/boost restirctor taken out/and pod filter.

suspected reason:shifted down to 2nd gear and hit the rev limiter (stupid driving)  

and it starved oil..

2nd  

same car  

same failure spun bearing/ conrod went into the side of the engine..

suspected reason: car had forged internals and so on. and was still on stock ECU and had bad fuel.

detonated and also 1 of the Turbos were seized and didnt return the oil back to the sump.

happened in a really really slow drive like driving at 60km/h

Do you know for sure that in the first rebuilt the clearence in the big ends was to specs .02 -.04 mm ?

How long did it last on the first rebuilt ?

Did you use the same crank the second time ?

Hi everyone,

O.k here we go

1990 GTR R32 RB26DETT only mods are air pods.

115000klms

1.Blown head gasket

2.water on turbine caused it to crack & break off

Basically i was driving along in top gear approx 110klm/h when the engine shutdown & heaps of white smoke was coming out the exhaust.Got a tow home & started to dismantle found the rear turbo had lost the turbine wheel completely & that cylinder 5 was wet (blown headgasket),removed engine to find the head gasket was blown badly on 5 ,but the bores of 4,5,6 were all o.k. no scratches or scores from the turbine ceramic.Also to both mine & my fathers amazement the oil pump had three screws undone by approx 2-3 turns ,enough to be visible to the naked eye.That was not the worst of it, found the front diff to have between .15mm-.36mm backlash & the crownwheel was floating & not pre-loaded!

Diff doesn't appear to have been dismantled before.was able to setup diff to the specs in the manual for backlash & pre-load's after changing some shims.

Has anyone else come across this with the front diff?

Also a big thanks to wrxhoon for the advice on the engine removal u were right on saved me a heap of time & managed to break nothing.

Engine/Car: R32 S1 RB20det in a Oz R31

Type of failure: Not sure yet but it sounds very bad.Motor tear down to come

Factors influencing the failure: big burnout at high rpms and 99degree water temps

State of tune of the engine: First tune was horror,second tune had good power and no knock [email protected]t 100,000km's on motor

Suspension and tyres: Koni shox,lovel springs,dead 255's now

Oil used and service interval: synthetic argip every 5000km's and filter

General comments: it sounds like a rex,knocks very bad once reved,idles very rough when it sounds like a rex.

*EDIT*The problem was a broken sparkplug,so it's all back to normal :jump:

Do you know for sure that in the first rebuilt the clearence in the big ends was to specs .02 -.04 mm ?

How long did it last on the first rebuilt ?

Did you use the same crank the second time ?

the first motor ran about 15K km's

i used a brand new crank for the 2nd time

off topic, but im pretty close to buyin a 33 or 34 gtr - but after reading this post its starting to make me question the reliability of rb26dett's :headspin:

No it's not the engines, they are a brilliant piece of machinery. By an large every problem can be attributed to too much power without appropriate preparation, silly tuning or owner abuse (this is the major cause).

My reasoning for this thread is to determine the most common issues, and I'm yet to see an engine just let go totally stock and well cared for.

• 1 month later...

I remember reading this thread when i first signed up, thinking 'gee i hope i dont ever have to post up in here' oh well, here goes...

Engine/Car: RB25DET/S1 R33 GTS-t Skyline

Type of failure: Detonation/Ringlands on all 6 pistons

Factors influencing the failure: Detonation - possibly timing too advanced, my car had a tuned power FC when the previous owners had the car (when dyno in my sig was done), currently has stock computer, im pretty sure the engine had the problem when i bought it, i havent covered many ks (only about 10000)

State of tune of the engine: Internally stock

Suspension and tyres: tanabe coil-overs, replaced bushes, front strut-brace, nankang 235/45/17s

Oil used and service interval: 2 changes on my behalf every 5000ks using motul turbolight

General comments: problem was most likely incurred by previous owners, i had a mechanic check engine over when i bought the car, but it wasnt the most thorough check, i noticed the engine bay was a bit oilly but i didnt stress too much cos i got the car for a really good deal, also has an oil catch can, that will fill (found out later) up rapidly at higher speeds, it recently started using about 1L of oil per 1000ks, so rebuild is in process at the moment.