SAU Community

Lifting build: Get mass or die trying

Trex

Really though, Tom, as someone still lifting relatively light you don't need most of those exercises in the program. 4 or 5 comprehensive compound exercises will not only work most of the muscles in your body at once and proportionately, but if done properly, you won't even have the energy for any others. Less is more, in a sense. You saw how quickly I had Grant lifting 100kg in spite of awful mobility. He was only doing 3 exercises. This is something I wish I had the benefit of knowing in my younger years, because all I do these days is 4 or 5 exercises and it's enough. I look better/bigger and am stronger than the younger me who used to do 15 different exercises a week. If I could turn back time...

Lift smart not hard :D

I understand what you're saying. But I think we can both agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat. Isolation vs compound is another section of the fitness industry that is as clear as mud. Tnation bb they all have 'proven' evidence that contradicts one another, as we have spoken about before With set vs rep ;)

Everyone has different goals and or body parts which affect their chosen lifts. I have been advised not to do deadlifts yet as I had a serious lower back injury a few years ago. This can contribute to my new program, also a lacking chest would explain 3x chest exercises, which aren't solely isolation with what my body has told me.

Thank you for your help guys, but not everyone's body type and muscle mass is the same and in turn needs specific lifts to cater to them.

:cheers:

There are plenty of ways to gain muscle, yes, we are only pointing out the most efficient ways that are going to have you up and running sooner. Just want to save you the years of side raises and bicep curls that will nothing for you compared to focusing on the big lifts.

3 chest exercises won't do anymore for you than one chest exercise done properly or to the same intensity. It is much the same muscles being used. This is fitness OCD and I used to have it too - 4 lat exercises and my back is bigger just from doing pullups alone.

People have different body types and goals, but too many use that as an excuse/reasoning why they do some weird program. As Rev said, you are ultimately limited by genetics, but this does not mean you can't train efficiently like other people and get decently big off the same methods. You've stated you want to gain muscle and that's the only reason we've jumped in and said hey try this. We've said our bits and it is a build thread, so I'll respectfully duck out now and pop in only to support / cheer you from here on out.

As for your lower back and deadlifts, I recommend trying them with an empty bar and go from there. Hell, start with a broomstick until you have the mobility right for it and marginally increase weight over time. If you feel any pain, you can stop - it won't be anything that will break your back in and instant. Otherwise, enjoy the strengthening and medical benefits of deadlifts!

• Like 1

Thanks Adam, as I said previously I'll give this new program a go for the next 8 weeks and see what transpires. I just don't want to sway from my trainers recommendations without giving them a go first. After all he has done all my measurements and knows me better than myself at the moment.

So far weight has increased while body fat has decreased which is a great sign in the fact that I have put on muscle. I'm

I just checked all my exercises on BB and they're all compound guys, don't stress haha. 

Pull ups - 10x6

Seated rows - 3x8 50 kg 3x8 45kg

DB Lying bent over row - 3x8 25kg 3x8 20kg

T bar - 

Had to stop because my tricep is shooting pain due to the ulnar nerve. Plus side is that my skin isn't ultra sensitive, downside is it's immense pain and loss of strength.

Saw the doctor last night and she diagnosed that i have skin aids, aka shingles. 

My physio did mention last monday that he had 3 cases this year that resembled ulnar nerve damage, but was in fact shingles.

Just have to wait it out and wait for my strength to come back.

I've got dehydrated discs in my back, dead lifting and power cleans with correct technique has helped a lot.

The trick is to start really light and just keep adding 2.5kg each week.

Also try 1 arm dumbbell rows, well supported and you can lift heavy without fear of f**king your back

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...