SAU Community

Removing small scratches/scuffs

PranK

My Bora had a wing when I bought it (limited 'Sport' model) which looked shit so I took it off. It has also spent a bit of its time with roof racks on. Both of these things have added awful scuffs and scratches on the roof and boot.

I've recently bought my first polisher (a proud moment) and was hoping I could somehow 'polish it out'. Maybe I need to hit the patches with some 1400 grit and then polish the bejesus out of it. 

I am 100% the paint newbie. I've always just washed my cars and thats it. I'm not learning that I can really make them look better with polish and wax as well as protecting them. Its also a car that is not worth getting a professional to do it. 

20160724_130609.jpg

20160724_155143.jpg

20160724_155232.jpg

What polisher did you buy?
What pads and compound do you have?

Good car to learn on.

It's euro paint so it's hard and will take time. Unlike jap paint that is fairly soft.

I recommend a very aggressive compound and a very firm pad. Then you hit it with a medium ish pad and lighter compound.

The wax.

See how that goes before you sand it.

7 minutes ago, Hadouken said:

What polisher did you buy?
What pads and compound do you have?

Good car to learn on.

It's euro paint so it's hard and will take time. Unlike jap paint that is fairly soft.

I recommend a very aggressive compound and a very firm pad. Then you hit it with a medium ish pad and lighter compound.

The wax.

See how that goes before you sand it.

The polisher is a 80 buck job from Supercheap. It has a speed control which is great. It seemed pretty good last weekend, quite capable. (I used to work on a slipway repairing boats, we had really nice makita polishers but I am on a budget).

The pads are supercheap brand ones. I found it hard to get good info on pads. Lots of colours and different patterns but little explanation about what is what.

It is a Maguiars polishing compound. Nothing serious. It did a great job of polishing, the car has never looked this good but there was no change to these patches of scratches.

What is an aggressive compound? And, do I use the aggressive stuff on just the scratches? Also, can I go over and over the same spot with the aggressive compound and polisher or should it be done bit by bit over a few sessions?

11 hours ago, Manne said:

Have you watched many/any or Larry's videos? (AMMO NYC) I can't link them all, but he has numerous videos on Polishing, Wet Sanding Paint etc...
One of the best in the business. https://www.youtube.com/user/AMMONYCdotcom/videos

Seems like he favors a brand of pad called "Rupes"

I haven't, I'll def check them out - thanks!

1 hour ago, Hadouken said:

Everyone has their pick of pads and products. Whatever you like working with.

I've never tried this but heard good things about it. Seeing as you go to supercheap.

http://www.meguiars.com.au/mirror-glaze/ultra-cut-compound/

Patterns dont really do much.
Just use a firm pad. As in one with minimal squish.

Nice, i'll have a look at that. Thanks so much for the info.

Also have a look at Megiars Ultimate Compound

its not as harsh Ultra Cut so would be safer to learn with, but still quite effective

When i first started mucking around with polishers, i bought some cheap secondhand panels to practice on, just to get the hand of the process and not risk cutting thru a panel edge or burning the paint

Edited by junkie

Have you got a picture of the after? 

When I was learning I started by applying the softest pads and products on one panel at a time. I would change pads on the different panels until I worked out which was best for the first going over. I used my ute (it has terrible paint, my fault) and learned appropriate, pressure, time on the panel and what not to do with the edges of the panels (yeah, i destroyed the paint on one panel). 

I then took to our old XR5 with the orange paint. It only needed a very light going over to remove almost invisible marks.

The ute on the other hand, pretty much got a sanding... :)