SAU Community

Radar Detectors in WA?

StaceyR34GTT

I'm thinking of buying a radar detector for my R34. I'm not a hoon and I don't speed but I do want to be cautious. I was wondering if any of you guys get picked on from cops for having radar detectors.

There's a shop in Perth that sells radar detectors and they say it's 100% legal in WA.
http://www.radarsdirect.com.au/faq/

Can cops in WA pick up signals from radar detectors and will know that you have one? I'm looking at buying the Valentine 1 as it seem to be the popular choice

I've pulled mine off and put in back seat when pulled over and was treated like a human everytime.

Left it up once when pulled over for 10km over. Arrogant bloke laughed his ass off at me and kept rubbing it in that he got me.

It's saved me plenty of times but I've gotten older n wiser and don't use it anymore.

Erm, I think Radar detectors are a good idea, and one is on my list. I don't really hoon or speed, but let's me honest, some of these cameras are sneaky as fuark.
Also, I've nearly rear ended people so many times, when some one panic-breaks after seeing one too late, so having some kind of system to alert me of that, so i can prepare for it makes sense.

That being said, the cops want your money, they're not going to like the fact that you're messing with them.

I've pulled mine off and put in back seat when pulled over and was treated like a human everytime.

Left it up once when pulled over for 10km over. Arrogant bloke laughed his ass off at me and kept rubbing it in that he got me.

It's saved me plenty of times but I've gotten older n wiser and don't use it anymore.

Correct me if im wrong but when the new radars came out the green ones over the black radars i thought i understood that dectectors would not or did the new dectectors get better..... ?

Btw they are getting very sneaky like handhelds on bridges and them new tripods with a small digital camera on it.

I pretty sure they not illegal but it will definitely change the attitude of the cop from a warning to a I'm gonna drill ur ass even if its raining. Lol

Waste of time. The new radars have a very narrow beam and as soon as your radar detector goes of you have already be photographed. If you need one then minimum get the valentine 1. You 'may' get a little warning with those.

• 3 weeks later...

I've a V1 for a couple of years now, "saved" by it a couple of times.

It works well and gives enough warning (provided you aren't excessively speeding) against a typical forward facing mobile camera setup. However is pretty useless if the camera is in a rear facing setup and/or against police with laser guns (as those are not on all the time and by the time the cop snipes you, you are already done).

I've attached mine near the top of the wind screen (where the passenger sun visor is) and usually not noticeable and hence no cop has picked it up so far, but now days I drive my BMW as a daily (with my V1 still attached) and that car just blends in with the rest of traffic and doesn't attract police attention so I guess there's that.

On 07/08/2016 at 8:37 PM, StaceyR34GTT said:

Can cops in WA pick up signals from radar detectors and will know that you have one? I'm looking at buying the Valentine 1 as it seem to be the popular choice

AFAIK cops in WA don't run RDD (radar detector detector lol) in their cars as they are still legal to use here, unlike over east (where you can get grilled for like over $2k in fines and excess of something like 20 demerit points).

At least no cop has ever pulled me over on the basis of me running a radar detector (V1 is not stealth) and I've being driving with it for well over 5 years...