SAU Community

2_Liter_Turbo's '90 TH1 Skyline GTR Build Thread

So as I mentioned in my intro thread, I picked up a long time dream car of mine finally, an original TH1 (Dark Blue Pearl) 1990 Skyline GTR :) I've wanted one since I was a kid playing Gran Turismo 1, and finally was able to pull the trigger! Since I have the S-Chassis project as my racecar, I plan to keep this a clean street car with some pretty decent power. 

Current modification list is pretty limited, but I like it that way when I pick up a new project.

- Nismo Front Strut Bar
- Up Garage Rear Strut Bar
- Blitz Coilovers
- I think Blitz FMIC
- Blitz Intakes
- Unknown Test Pipe
- Unknown HID Kit
- Nismo Shift Knob
- Blue interior LEDs
- Blitz Nur Spec Exhaust

Before I start doing anything to it, I wanted to do a quick photo-shoot of it as it sits. I had my buddy Chris take the photos as he's a lot of better than I, so here they are!

2017-07-24_R32_01.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_02.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_03.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_04.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_05.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_06.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_07.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_08.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_09.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_10.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_11.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_12.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_13.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_14.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_15.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_16.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_17.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_18.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_19.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_20.jpg

2017-07-24_R32_21.jpg

Edited by 2_Liter_Turbo
Re-Linking Away from Photobucket!
  • Like 4

Currently, I'm trying to decide if I want to go the route of an RB30 bottom end or spring for an N1 block. Since I'm still new to RB's, I'm not sure which one is stronger. I definitely want the availability of more mid range torque to help spool the turbo I'm thinking about going with (A Borg Warner EFR 8374). I'll be on the stock twins for some time while I collect parts and build a suitable bottom end on the side.

• Like 2

Yeah, totally wouldnt bother modding it if in a collector's condition. It'll sell for more in a few years than after you've put all the mods on it unless you kept all the parts or not selling it.

The box won't last long with that turbo either.

You'll easily spend +30k if done right and even then you could be in for a shock after.

9 hours ago, Stephen_rx7 said:

Nice car man

great colour and looks to be in great condition, almost a shame to modify one that clean and standard

how do you go sourcing a rb30 block in the U.S.? 

Grenades as look great on it 

Thanks! Almost a shame... ha ha. Don't worry, I will do it justice and not ruin the car. I'm quite picky on how I do things. My builds take awhile, because I don't spare expenses when it comes to what matters. As for an RB30 block, I'll have to have it shipped from overseas. It never came in anything here. There are a few shops who do it, but they want a bit more than what I feel they are worth, ha ha. You pay for the convenience!

6 hours ago, s2d4 said:

Yeah, totally wouldnt bother modding it if in a collector's condition. It'll sell for more in a few years than after you've put all the mods on it unless you kept all the parts or not selling it.

The box won't last long with that turbo either.

You'll easily spend +30k if done right and even then you could be in for a shock after.

It really isn't in collector's condition. The paint looks great in pictures, but it's far from clean, it needs to be resprayed. There's also some minor damage (not rust) on the front frame rails, most likely from improper jacking technique. As for how much I put in it, I'm well aware of the eventual costs, and it's part of the fun for me. I like the creativity that comes with building a proper setup car. Sure the money is a lot, but I'll just work harder and make more, ha ha. I also plan on the build taking a good number of years, so the pocket book won't hurt too bad if it's only a few grand a year, which is how my S-Chassis project has gone.

6 hours ago, PranK said:

Looks absolutely gorgeous. Brilliant example.

Thank you sir!

Also, I did pickup my first mod the first weekend I had the car, ha ha. A local guy was going to a single turbo setup and was selling his bolt on parts, so I grabbed his HKS downpipe for a pretty reasonable price. I know I plan to go single as well, but it'll be a bit before that happens and I wanted to get rid of the stock downpipe. 

2016-08-11_R32-01.jpg

Edited by 2_Liter_Turbo

• 4 weeks later...

So the tires that came with the car started to worry me, so I swapped them for my wheels and tires I had on my S14 until I can order up some new wheels and tires for the R32. Wheels are 17x9 +22 SSR GTV02 with 255/40/17 Nitto NT-01s.

That same day, I attended a little photoshoot with the local R35 group, so myself and another R32 (GTS Sedan) photobombed them a bit... Ha ha!

2016-09-03_R32_01.jpg

2016-09-03_R32_02.jpg

2016-09-03_R32_03.jpg

2016-09-03_R32_04.jpg

2016-09-03_R32_05.jpg

2016-09-03_R32_06.jpg

2016-09-03_R32_07.jpg

2016-09-03_R32_08.jpg

2016-09-03_R32_09.jpg

I'm thinking of ordering up 18x10 +22 Advan GT's for the R32. +22 offset would not only allow me to dial in fitment with small spacers, but also allow me to run them on the S14 if I decide to. Just trying to decide if I should do the Machined Hyper Black or Semi-Gloss Black. Open for input!

18inchAdvanGT.png

Edited by 2_Liter_Turbo

Hyper black, won't need spacers. Run 275-285/30 tyres.

Nice front pipe by the way, noticed any sound difference after putting them on?

Also, rip those projectors out of the car and put some proper HID projectors in like Morimoto FX-R 3" or similar in. PnP HID is rubbish.

6 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Hyper black, won't need spacers. Run 275-285/30 tyres.

Nice front pipe by the way, noticed any sound difference after putting them on?

Also, rip those projectors out of the car and put some proper HID projectors in like Morimoto FX-R 3" or similar in. PnP HID is rubbish.

I was definitely planning on 275's for the rubber. I haven't installed the pipe yet, I am still waiting for the pair of turbo outlet gaskets so I can install my Power Enterprise outlet pipes at the same time that I recently picked up. As for the HIDs, they do suck, ha ha! I will eventually do a retrofit or just go back to standard when I get to it. Thanks for the input!

• 4 weeks later...

Snagged some used Nismo "Circuit Link" front lower control arms! Going to refurbish them before I install, now I just need to find the rest of the stuff, lol.

2016-10-05_R32-01.jpg

Edited by 2_Liter_Turbo

• 2 months later...

Couple small parts arrived today. Works Bell Hub and Greddy Pulleys. I have a Nardi wheel on order for the hub, as well as a number of other parts, but they won't be here for awhile, ha ha. R32 in the USA problems!

2016-12-12_R32-01.jpg

Edited by 2_Liter_Turbo

• 1 month later...

Small Update:

Updated the interior a little bit. Replaced the stereo deck with an old Alpine unit I had from my S13 and installed a Nardi deep corn wheel with works bell hub, as well as a new shift boot, e-brake boot, and center console lid cover. The latter three and the steering wheel are all black leather with blue stitching. 

2017-01-23_R32_01.jpg

2017-01-23_R32_02.jpg

I also installed a new Koyo radiator, Samco hoses, and a Greddy pulley kit. First step at improving the cooling system is done. Looking to do more, but this should do for now.

2017-01-23_R32_03.jpg

Edited by 2_Liter_Turbo
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Little bit of an update! I've finally received all four of my Advan GTs! Tires get here tomorrow, so I'll have mounted pics soon, ha ha, but until then, here are dismounted pics. On my bathroom scale, they came to 19.6lbs. Not terrible for an 18x10 +22 wheel!

02-22-17_AdvanGT_01.jpg

02-22-17_AdvanGT_02.jpg

02-22-17_AdvanGT_03.jpg

I also installed my Ikeya Formula -5mm front upper control arms. They added another .5° of negative camber.

02-22-17_IkeyaF-FUCA_1.jpg

02-22-17_IkeyaF-FUCA_2.jpg

02-22-17_IkeyaF-FUCA_3.jpg

Hoping to get my Nismo front lowers back from powdercoat tomorrow, so that will add a little extra negative camber. I may get to about -2° which would be decent for a street car. It's sitting at -1.5° at the moment.

• Like 1

Threw the AdvanGT stickers on right after I picked the wheels up from the tire shop. Had them install some Nitto NT05s in 275/35/18. I was actually surprised how much stretch was on the tires. I think I should have gone with 285s... oh well, lol.

02-23-17_AdvanGTNittoNT05.jpg

• Like 2