SAU Community

Newbie drag racer...what am I doing wrong???

JTCC

Ok got the car to the track for the first time for harmless fun. I read on the subject before hand so I could get an idea on launching etc. Practiced on the street a few times also. I will give a run down of my setup. Full midori 3 to 3.5 inch exhaust (stock turbo dumps for now), Omori inlet pipes, Nismo intercooler/piping, Nismo twin disc, HKS coilovers, Advan AD08R 265/35/18 33 psi, 12-13 psi on stock turbos, stock air box, OEM ECU....unopened motor. Basically stock with bolt ons. What I did was launch the car from 7k. Kept getting wheel hop and 2.0-2.2 60 foot times. Never broke 2.0. Was trapping  100-104 mph all night. My best time was a 13.61 with a passenger! Other than that it was consistent 13.9. Something doesn't seem right to me. I even tried to launch at 6k and 5k but it did no help. 5k was to low as the car would bog down. Could it be the wheel tire setup? Should I throw the stockers on with a decent tire? I also have some te37 17x9 +22 if those would be a better choice. I could have put the coils to full soft in the rear, that may help a smidge. I was also shifting at 7k. Seemed like the finish line was at the very top of 3rd gear 7-7.5k rpm. What am I doing wrong here. Thanks!!!

haha yes, I definitely agree with you. But it just seems like I should be getting better numbers than that regardless? The wheel hop is what has me concerned because it was rather aggressive. Not sure on how to go about fixing that. Only does it on the track because of prepped surface I'm guessing. I honestly think the car may be faster on the street because when I launch on regular road is just gives a little tire screech and goes like normal.

With that mph you should be doing low 13s. Work on your launch. Coming out of the hole will make or break your run. If your clutch is decent your 60s should be comfortably less than 1.9. 

Eventually, if you want to go fast youll need more power.

Yea, I was hoping for a very best of a 12.9. But I was getting 13.9 lol. Very disappointed. I knew it had to be because of the wheel hop on the launch. Sounded so terrible. I still beat every car I raced though lol. Few mustangs and a camaro. So I didn't look like a total scrub. I think I will try out my te37 with crappy nankang ultra sport nsII 255/40/17 tires. Maybe those will have a little more give on the launch. Also, I guess 26 year old worn out bushings would allow for wheel hop to happen easier also. Allowing to much movement. Guess I know what I'll be buying next lol.

Edited by JTCC

• 2 weeks later...

We usually launch at 7 and when you come of the clutch get the accelerator to the floor as fast a possible

Or you could try coming of the clutch a little slower to help stop it from bogging (go from a side step to bringing it out really quickly)

or launch control to get it onto boost before you're off the line

**I take no responsibility if something breaks**

Or you could try coming of the clutch a little slower to help stop it from bogging (go from a side step to bringing it out really quickly)

thats what im thinking next. havent had a lot of test time as somethings gone wrong ....

i to am having trouble with my launches. all be it i have 390kws and slicks. 

my 60 foot times are around the 2.0 also. i just continually bog down no matter where i launch from.

Any ideas?

Is this gtr or gtst? I would either use more clutch and bring on boost before totally jumping off it or set up a 2 step. In my gtst with 312kw I've been able to get better launches with more clutch rather than the 2 step. I've only got a small high flow turbo though, so I can bring it onto boost off the line quite easily with good clutch work. Awd is another kettle of fish altogether but I don't see why the same method wouldn't work.