SAU Community

DR30 transmission differences?

JCubed

With my recently aquired 83 RSX (Iron Mask) I received a second transmission. In my research I managed to track down the first US based owner that purchased the second transmission. In our discussion he said that he had found that the Turbo C came with a stronger trasnmission. The issue is I am having a hard time confirming this, or even how to confirm that this is an 84+ transmission. 

So far I have been able to find the transmission's in FJ20et models were FS5W71B. I do know there are a few variations as this was a popular Nissan transmission even today it seems. The only information I can find are two part numbers, 3201007S61 for 83 cars prior to August and 3201007S60 for August 83 to 85. Even if that were the case being an August 83 car I should already have the later transmission.

If there are variations specific to the Skyline, any documentation or details as to what they might be? I might end up swapping the transmission anyway to try and eliminate a grind I get shifting in to reverse.

Not really on topic but you could try some nulon smooth shift additive or replace oil with redline shockproof and see if it remedies the grind into reverse. Would save yourself a heap of work if it fixes it and also keep the spare box for down the track. Unless you've already tried this of course.

If I decide not to swap it that's definitely in the plans. I'm not sure when the last fluid change was on the trans and diff. How difficult is transmission removal on these? I was underneath working in suspension the other day and it seems pretty accessible. I'm used to working on my z32 where transmission pulls aren't the easiest.

The reverse issue is hit and miss. Sometimes it does it once when I start driving, other times it will happen a few times. I find that if I make sure I pull the gear lever to the right hard when shifting it usually doesn't grind.

Im hoping the transmission I have sitting is in fact different so I have another excuse to work on it.

I don't know specifically about dr 30 transmissions, but the  numbers you posted above (3201007S61 for 83 cars prior to August and 3201007S60 for August 83 to 85 ) is the nissan part number. Sadly the full nissan part number is not generally not stamped on a part, but using Nissan Fast you can find the correct part number for any given VIN code and also there is no reverse lookup from the part number to donor cars either

• 10 months later...

I was led to believe that the FJ20ET FS5W71B had wider gears than the FJ20E version of the same box (or L-series etc. etc.)
Suggest that you get into the habit of stopping the car, engaging 1st, then engaging reverse - that way the 1st synchro stops all the internals 'gently'.
Sometimes things don't line up and it won't go into reverse. In which case, going for another forward gear prior to reverse will do the trick.

If you want to upgrade the box, then get an FS5W71C from an R32 GTSt. Some custom parts are required, but you'll end up with a more modern system with dual-synchros.