SAU Community

Gaming PC Build

GH05T

So ' upgrading my PC, currently i run an Apache gaming laptop which is amazing... for a laptop, but i no longer need it to move so its time for a tower.

i would like your input so feel free to tell me i'm an idiot or if there is something i should be spending more or less on.

i dont really have a budget constriction but i feel i shouldn't need to spend more than $3k so thats the general budget for now. 

here is my build so far

Mainboard - $ 289

ASRock Z170 Extreme6+ Motherboard

Z170 EXTREME6+

ASRock Z170 Extreme6+ MB, Z170, 4x DDR4, 3x PCIE3.0 x16, 8x SATA3, 2x SATA Express, 1x M.2, 4x USB3.1, 8x USB3, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, ATX, Bundled Front USB3.1 Panel

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1151/60164-Z170_EXTREME6%2B

100966_large.jpg

CPU - $ 344

Intel Core i5 6600K

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/CPU/Intel_Socket_1151/60026-BX80662I56600K

RAM - $ 295

G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVK 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Memory/DDR4/61665-F4-3200C16D-32GVK/?member_pricing=true

107920_large.jpg

GPU - $ 709

ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1070, 8GB

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA/64953-DUAL-GTX1070-O8G

119591_large.jpg

Case - $ 175

Aerocool DS 200 Black ATX Case, Window, No PSU

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Cases/ATX/56305-4713105952728/?member_pricing=true

87128_large.jpg

PSU - $ 389

Corsair HX1200i 1200W Power Supply

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Power_Supplies/ATX/64029-CP-9020070-AU

116157_large.jpg

Hard Drives OS - $ 169

Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Hard_Drives_&_SSDs/SSD_-_2.5%22_&_PCI_Express/55984-MZ-7KE256BW

Hard Drives Games - $ 189

Samsung 750 EVO Series 500GB SSD

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Hard_Drives_&_SSDs/SSD_-_2.5%22_&_PCI_Express/64071-MZ-750500BW

Hard Drives Storage - $ 135

Seagate Desktop HDD 3TB, ST3000DM001

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Hard_Drives_&_SSDs/HDD_-_3.5%22_Drives/44593-ST3000DM001

WiFi - $ 89

TP-Link Archer T9E AC 1900 PCI-E Dual Band Wireless Adapter

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking_-_Wireless/PCI_Express_Cards/58860-Archer_T9E

CPU Cooling - $ 105

Noctua NH-U14S Multi Socket CPU Cooler

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Cooling/CPU_Coolers_-_AIR/49762-NH-U14S

64545_large.jpg

so i have opted to have a small fast ssd for Cdrive/ operating system and another larger fast ssd for a games drive. then the obvious larger hdd for files. 3t is plenty and easily up-gradable later on.

i have gone for the I5 over the I7 for the obvious cost but also its overclocking capabilities which are very good.

the graphics cars again i have gone for the GTX 1070 instead of the newer 1080. the cost difference for the jump in performance is large and tbh for a while im not gonna need the 1080.... im still second guessing myself on this one though.

and yes the hdd cooling tower does fit in the case..... just :)

the ram and the rest is self explanatory.. what do you think. anything you would change without blowing way over the $3k ish budget

the cost so far (using SCOPRTECH) is  $2898 online + $97 Delivery - $3129

Edited by GH05T

That's an awesome build, and I'm very jealous.

The only thing I would change is the Video card, where I would prefer MSI or an Asus Strix if you're going to be spending that much money anyway. But that's all just personal preference in the end.

Have you considered an M.2 drive as your primary OS drive to make the most of that motherboard? http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Hard_Drives_&_SSDs/SSD_-_mSATA_&_m.2/60972-MZ-V5P256BW

I'm no expert, but here's my observations (and see a consistent theme cause I'm a tight ass), I can't comment on compatibility of any of the hardware though.

1. For actual purchasing I like to use Umart, i've had a look and most of these components are anywhere from $10 to $50 cheaper which adds up over nearly 10 components! I was gonna do the math out of curiosity but I'm technically meant to be working. They seem to have an adelaide pickup so not sure what postage would be.

2. Have you considered an M.2 harddrive for your OS? equivalent size it's cheaper and would be faster: (haven't actually taken this step myself but interested in it)
http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=159&bid=4&sid=240624

3. 1200W PSU seems waaaay overkill, so potential to save there if you want(?)

4. Might need/want to factor in general case ventilation, a lot of cases only come with 1 x fan

5. 32GB is way overkill for RAM so also potential to save if you want, a lot of people still recommend 8GB, I guess it depends what you're doing, but I'd recommend 16GB

Hope that helps.

awesome thank, ill look into the m.2 tonight.

and ill check out umart, (im also technically working atm ;) )

i have also done some looking on PCcasegear and PLE.com but i

im a ram nazzi, i like more than i will even need personally, but i might look into the cost differences, might be enough to go overkill on the GPU lol.

also i have some case ventilation sorted aswell, its gonna be a noisy bitch but i wanna game in summer too haha.

That is a lot of money for a gaming PC....The last one i build was Mitx so i had the extra prices there....

SilverStone SX600-G SFX Modular 600W Power Supply $175.00 $175.00
1 Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler $89.00 $89.00
1 Western Digital WD Black WD7500BPKX 750GB $89.00 $89.00
1 Intel 535 Series 240GB 2.5in SSD $155.00 $155.00
1 Intel Core i7 6700K $519.00 $519.00
1 Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Motherboard $279.00 $279.00
1 Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2133C13R 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Red $179.00 $179.00

And i think i paid $70 for my Mitx Lian Li case and $500 for a GPU.... So round about 2g...

To me it looks like you went "what is the best/most expensive... go!"

if you spend more than $2200 on a gaming PC you are overspending for the sake of it IMO.

Also don't buy a 1200w PSU with that setup.. Or even consider a 1080 unless you like wasting money. 

the 1060 is even overkill (unless 4k gaming, and no games are built properly for it anyway) 

by the time the 1070 can't play stuff, the 1080 will struggle just as much and it will be time for an upgrade. 

Personally i'd stick with the 1070 being in the middle of the range. 

50 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

I'd personally go 4x8GB DDR4 and MSi GTX1070

Is there a benefit to this? I'm currently running 2x8GB but have a 4x4GB kit laying around as well

Ok so i have looked into the ram situation now the ram in the 16g cards are the only i could see with 3200mhz speed. 8s dont.
I can run smaller sticks but its also gonna be slower.

The psu is $389 and thats with 80% efficiency... which is not bad. I dont want to be underpowered. But your right i might be overkill.
Lets look at the options.

The best I have found is the antec 1000w which is a platinum power rating and will save $40.

For the hdds im changing from a 256 and 512 ssd to 2x 256m.2s
That read speed is mental.

3k seems exxy, but fairly reasonable compared to the old days where all this stuff was new and overpriced. I remember a co-worker building at best-of-the-best PC back in the early 2000's and he dropped well over 10k on parts. I personally bought a laptop around that time for $3600... 

I tend to agree. My apache laptop was over 3k ... mind you i didn't pay that but thats another story.

I have changed my hdd thoughts after looking at the m.2s
Ok so with the main board u can only run 1 m.2 at a time. It will not run 2 as it used sata input space to run its speed. So i cant run 2.

I was thinking of running a 256 m2 for the games drive and an ssd 250g for opperating system.
The only reason for this origionslly was for redundancy. But if a "programs" hdd does fail, theirs nothing i dont care to loose. I can always load shit back on. I can always reload windows and all games can be downloaded through steam or whatever.
I have a propper fiber to the home 100gps NBN connection
All i will loose is my settings for windows and shit, but I would have had that problem for the opperating system hdd on the dedicated drive anyway.

So im gonna run a 512 m.2 instead of 2 separate 256 drives (this actually saves me $1 compared to the 2 x 256s.)
Ill run the opperating system and games on the single 512 m.2

Luckely the mainboard i will get CAN boot from an m2. So I'll have the boot speed for windows too.... yay

Also im now going to run 2x 3tb hdds for my data in raid 1 so ill only have 3tb of writable space still but if one dies i dont loose anything. Only costs an extra $130 drive.
You can never get your important data back

Do you use it for anything else? Photo/video editing or purely gaming?

I do use photoshop and lightroom ect but not heavily, just in the occasion. Im definatly not rendering or doing heavy video editing or anything. The power here is for gaming

When looking into M2 SSD's you have to get a PCI-E version. If you get a SATA M2 they are no better than a normal SSD. 1000W is still massive overkill unless you want to run SLI in the future? 

I put this together in two minutes. Cheaper and better than the current one you made. Total price without a case is $2303. It's also worth noting that the new Intel line of processors should be announced soon, Kaby lake is expected to release in like 2-3 months.

In stock Add to Cart $479 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $699 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
Sold Out Add to Cart $169 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $179 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $109 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $85 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $299 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $125 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $159 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png

11 hours ago, GH05T said:

I do use photoshop and lightroom ect but not heavily, just in the occasion. Im definatly not rendering or doing heavy video editing or anything. The power here is for gaming

if that's the case 16gb will be plenty

17 hours ago, GTofuS-T said:

Is there a benefit to this? I'm currently running 2x8GB but have a 4x4GB kit laying around as well

Clock speed would probably be a big factor, but the way I see it, why try to pump 16GB through two slots when you can do it through 4? :P

OP isn't skimping out on the motherboard so I expect full speed (whatever that is) across all four DIMM slots.

Also, $300+ for PSU? I thought $150 was plenty haha.

I like Anfanee's list, except I'd swap the GPU with MSi (I like their cooler) and the Corsair CPU cooler with a Gigabyte (I had a 140mm Hydro forgot-the-model and that leaked, although it was crammed into a tiny case, but still, 'loose' connectors on the block).

Technically 2 slots of Ram will always run bettter than 4.

Only reason i went that cooler is the reviews, the all in ones are really good these days.

And the last PC i built for a work colleague i had 2 DOA MSI items. So i stick my Gigabyte these days. But the MSI does still review really well.  

Personally if it was me i would put a Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo air cooler on it