SAU Community

Gaming PC Build

GH05T

I've always had bad experience with Gigabyte, mainly their motherboards. I had a GPU RMA'd within a week though a while back.

Last three Gigabyte boards, all had some sort of fault (one kept powering off, two with bad Ethernet ports).

The Corsair AIO water cooler worked fine, just the flimsy connectors on the block ruins it. Coolermaster's cheaper Seidon 120 is more sturdy, so after shelling out ~$100 for the Corsair that leaked, $40 on the CM product is plenty.

Isn't it funny how things work. I build on average 1-2 a month and have for the past 6 or so years. I pretty much always go Jigabyte motherboards and i have never had a DOA.

26 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

Coolermaster's cheaper Seidon 120 is more sturdy, 

That's good cause I just installed one!

I've just had a Gigabyte board cut out on me while playing a game, afterwards it wouldn't run with the graphics but would run fine without it except it wouldn't turn on immediately after shutting down (maybe 10 mins later after PSU turned off it would start)

Luckily I had another one laying around (also Gigabyte) and that seems to be going ok, has cut out while gaming once, but I think it may be PSU overheating as it's sitting on carpet and maybe 1cm clearance, going to raise it and try again.

So much overkill.

As has been said, the PSU is overkill.  That thing will humm on an 800w PSU.

And OCed CPU is basically useless for a general rig/gaming rig.  The difference will be zip.

m2 SSDs are unnecessary.  Read/write speeds of G1SSds aren't a bottleneck now so you likely will get zero net gain in performance going to the m2.  I'd go for space over speed.

32Gb is useless.  16Gb is the sweet spot although still pretty much unnecessary but the cost difference between 8 and 16 is negligible.  3200mhz RAM is also pointless.  You'll not see any difference between that and 2666mhz.

If I were building a new PC today, this is what I would do:

Note:

Not OCable CPU.

Case is very subjective so I kinda plucked a random one.

Includes $80 labour which I wouldn't pay cause I'd assemble it myself.

I'm a bit of a Gigabyte whore, but the ASUS GPU is a pretty well positioned card cost wise.

I've used Samsung, SanDisk and Intel SSDs at work a lot and had zero issues.  

PCBuild.JPG

Cowboy that computer doesn't even compare to the one i linked. Not even close. You have put all the money in the wrong items. That PC build makes no sense. That PC is already a dead end. Why would you put a H105 on an I5 6500? you are spending $150 on a cooler for a processor that doesn't emit any heat. 

Honestly not to be rude... you have no idea what you are talking about. If you ignore the wireless card there is like $180 difference.

P.S people i work with (in I.T) are raging at that build. Just FYI. 

If you want to save a bit of money... Removed the wireless card for comparisons. Best value for Cooling power CPU cooler and a cheaper HDD....You could downgrade the MB if you want.. But i wouldnt. I can put my hand on my heart and say you will not get a better PC for the money than this. For gaming/longevity. 

In stock Add to Cart $479 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $699 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
Sold Out Add to Cart $169 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $299 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $125 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $159 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
ETA: 31/08/16 Add to Cart $55 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
In stock Add to Cart $99 X arrow_up.png arrow_down.png
Delete Wishlist
Estimate Shipping:

Sub-total:
$2,084

how long? im not usually one for holding off :P

and are you suggesting i get the new gen processor or that the old ones will drop in price?

Kaby Lake will be available at the end of the year. Either or in regards to new vs old. Depends what the prices do. It's an incremental upgrade so not a huge one. But in theory the current line should drop a little bit. Just something to keep in mind. 

hey anf

thanks for your input man, im not an idiot but im definitely not a tech head. i do have some help from a very good mate who like you is in the it industry so im not unguided, but any input is very welcome :)

but your build is very interesting, a few Qs 

any reason why you would go to the I7, do you think this would actually game better? would you as mentioned wait for a new model to be released?

the graphics card look comparable, within $1, yours does seem to have a slightly higher base clock but yeah, any reason for the difference or is that just one of those choice of brand on the sticker?

the SSD, well, there seems to be an argument in the M.2s vs a stock ssd. i would love the additional speed in os and gaming boot/ load speeds. 

the 2tb HDD, for the extra $44 would you go down to a 2tb? remember im now going to run 2 3tb in raid for redundancy. large hdd space is so cheap now why go down in size?

the cooler is intriguing. never used water cooling, that seems cheap and if they work efficiently it might be an option to look at. but like i said never used water cooling.

and then theirs the ram thing. i get that 2x16gb is probably overkill, but to save the money, in my head, your still going down in gb and down in hz speed.

Don't stress too much over the suggestions people have put in here.

In the end, it's your money and if you want a beast, like your original item list then go for it.

I have no idea where Cowboy1600 came from with calling a lot of the current suggestions unnecessary/useless. 

M.2 or SSD will still have your PC booting up in 5 seconds or so. The M.2 will just future proof you a little more with it's insane speeds.

To provide context, I run my games off a 1TB Mechanical drive and my OS on an 256GB Samsung Pro SSD. It still boots up very fast, and don't have any issues with games taking too long to load.

I would however, LOVE to run my games from an SSD if funds allowed.

In regards to GPU, everyone has their opinion, and as suggested above, some people have bad experiences with brands everyone recommends, and vice versa. If something has worked for you, then stick with it. Personally, my preference would be MSI/Asus for Nvidia or Sapphire/MSI for AMD, I try to stay away from Gigabyte, but have spoken to many people who highly recommend them. Gainward/Zotac seem to be the cheap/China options of the PC Part world.

Currently, and with the amount you seem willing to spend, the 1070 is a pretty safe bet. The 1080 would just be extra future proofing if you are that concerned.

Another thing to note is that I bought an unlocked CPU (i5-4670K) and installed a Corsair H110 water cooling system, and have never seen the need to OC, and now consider the cooling system overkill. (It's never leaked, but has developed a 'rattle' until warm). The Hyper 212 Evo I had before would have sufficed.

As for the RAM, I think the difference you'll notice between 4x4GB sticks and 2x8GB sticks to be negligible. There appears to already be some good discussion in here by people that know more than me in regards to RAM speed.

You can save a little by getting top i7 non-K. Don't really need water cooling unless your case is small. Overclocking isn't that big of an upgrade, I've noticed no performance increase worth mentioning on my i5 box.

2x8GB will be fine, throw an extra pair later if you want to do editing or run VMs.

also has anyone actually used Umart?

their prices seem very cheap, but every single item has no eta, i dont know if anything is in stock, i would hate to send all my money and end up waiting weeks on parts. or worse.

please be aware that more cooling outlets in a case does not mean better cooling. When choosing your case, you want your fans to suck/blow correctly and correct circulation in the case to direct the heat / cold air properly.

I had my PC built in 2012 and only upgraded the GPU (intended).  KarmaIT search him on FB - a prodigy in the building scene. Paid 2.3k and still runs perfectly, in fact runs better than multiple 5k+ builds my mates run.

inb4 anfunny negreps. @Anfanee

Edited by RosieR34
  • Like 1