SAU Community

Gaming PC Build

GH05T

yeah the case i have looked at has some good ventilation.

were planning to remove the front housing for the hdds as their not needed which will open up front airflow. the top can be replaced with a full grill. it has the ability to have a bottom fan with removable dust shield. side fans are able to be installed and the main airflow front to back sits in line with the large cooler fan. so it will essentially take air from the front and blow directly through the cooler blowing in the same direction through unrestricted to the back fans. the top fan will take any heat moving up and pus it out the top. if we run a lower fan i will put the case on a hard surface and not on carpet.

2 x14cm front fans and 2x 12cm rear fans, 1x 20cm top fan as standard. all apparently low noise.... well, as low as its gonna be. 

we prefer 1 large fan compared to 2 smaller fans as the same airflow for lower revs just makes sence.

the card will be noisy but again we will go 2 large fans over the 3 small fan option for the same reason. then the cooler has its own big ass fan on the towersink

Edited by GH05T
  • Like 1

I'm not a fan of side fans (excuse the pun, I had too). My case is fully closed off (to keep the pressure in the case circulating). However, I have top and bottom ventilation, for obvious cold/hot air. If you have an open case then the air just gets lost, need that pressure to circulate it all.

But again, KarmaIT knows it all and cheaper than most places. I'd recommend him 11/10. He does cable management and plug'n'play options (PC arrives and you plug it in and all good to go).

Enjoy.

Edited by RosieR34

my mate has just done some price comparisons on the original build.

Umart will net a savings of about $200.... but only half the stuff is in stock, allot of it just has no ETA...

anyone used them successfully?

1 hour ago, GH05T said:

also has anyone actually used Umart?

their prices seem very cheap, but every single item has no eta, i dont know if anything is in stock, i would hate to send all my money and end up waiting weeks on parts. or worse.

I have many times, but I'm lucky enough to have a warehouse down the road I can go pick up from. ETA usually means it's instock at another store (from the one your selected on) and the last thing I ordered took about 2 days but it was only a small thing.

• Like 1

Might see if i can send them a list and get confirmation on being able tu supply and an overall cost. They do list a depot in sa so i can easily pickup if its there.

2 hours ago, GH05T said:

hey anf

thanks for your input man, im not an idiot but im definitely not a tech head. i do have some help from a very good mate who like you is in the it industry so im not unguided, but any input is very welcome :)

but your build is very interesting, a few Qs 

any reason why you would go to the I7, do you think this would actually game better? would you as mentioned wait for a new model to be released?

the graphics card look comparable, within $1, yours does seem to have a slightly higher base clock but yeah, any reason for the difference or is that just one of those choice of brand on the sticker?

the SSD, well, there seems to be an argument in the M.2s vs a stock ssd. i would love the additional speed in os and gaming boot/ load speeds. 

the 2tb HDD, for the extra $44 would you go down to a 2tb? remember im now going to run 2 3tb in raid for redundancy. large hdd space is so cheap now why go down in size?

the cooler is intriguing. never used water cooling, that seems cheap and if they work efficiently it might be an option to look at. but like i said never used water cooling.

and then theirs the ram thing. i get that 2x16gb is probably overkill, but to save the money, in my head, your still going down in gb and down in hz speed.

I went the I7K because the CPU is what bottlenecks you, and then forces a new PC build, so i usually go one of the top options. I do overclock my CPU when they start to struggle, get another year or so out of it. But yes you can save dropping the K, and dropping back to the I5 if need be. But the I7 won't necessarily help you with gaming. The i5 6600 would be fine. 

GPU was brand choice for me.

SSD M2. i will explain. The M2 slots are limited if they use the SATA interface. Basically an M2 that uses SATA will be no faster than a normal SSD. Get a PCI-E interface M2 slot and they are quicker, alas double the price. It's just something to be aware of. I think the Samsung Pro M2's are a decent price at the moment. Intel are about to release another line up for PCI-E M2's.

HDD's again are personal preference. I was just doing a generic thing for pricing. Get whatever you want really. 

Watercooling>Air cooling every day of the week (why are cars water cooled?) But it's usually more expensive. These days the all in ones are really good, i would go an all in 1 water cooler over an air cooler. Unless i buy the hyper 212. because cheap. I have a Hyper 212 in my photography grunt at home. 

Ram ill explain.. the higher the "speed" the longer the latency. Basically you get no gain for going "faster" ram. 2400 is the sweet spot. 16GB is also the sweet spot.

let me know if you do have any questions man, i do this stuff for a living (well used too, i'm an SDM these days)

Explaining the way PC's work can be tricky. It's not all about speeds, architecture plays a big part. There is a reason Intel processors Benchmark better than AMD when the AMD have a heap more power. 

6 hours ago, Anfanee said:

Cowboy that computer doesn't even compare to the one i linked. Not even close. You have put all the money in the wrong items. That PC build makes no sense. That PC is already a dead end. Why would you put a H105 on an I5 6500? you are spending $150 on a cooler for a processor that doesn't emit any heat. 

Honestly not to be rude... you have no idea what you are talking about. If you ignore the wireless card there is like $180 difference.

P.S people i work with (in I.T) are raging at that build. Just FYI. 

You should have finished reading the thread before posting.

All CPUs put out heat, but as I said on my very next post, cooling is subjective.  And all CPUs get hot.

My build makes total sense.  Overclocking is a load of shit.  32Gb RAM is pointless.  A 1060 will do everything pretty much anyone wants these days, and for the foreseeable future, and is great bang for buck.  An 800W PSU is more than enough.  SSDs are not bottlenecks so go for size over speed.Duuuuur.thumb.JPG.647379f3959bedd8d2a5c7ce00cab28f.JPG

Duuuuur.JPG

On 8/25/2016 at 1:16 PM, Anfanee said:

Isn't it funny how things work. I build on average 1-2 a month and have for the past 6 or so years. I pretty much always go Jigabyte motherboards and i have never had a DOA.

I'm the same.  Have built dozens of systems for home and work and never had an issue with anything Gigabyte.

3 hours ago, GH05T said:

also has anyone actually used Umart?

their prices seem very cheap, but every single item has no eta, i dont know if anything is in stock, i would hate to send all my money and end up waiting weeks on parts. or worse.

I use uMart all the time.

Mainly because I work up the road from them, and secondly because they do the best prices (By Aus standards anyway, importing video cards from the US through Amazon is cheaper, but then you face international warranty issues, best to go with EVGA if you go down this route).

Their customer service is 'blunt' and sometimes they say they have things in stock when they don't. For the most part though, I've had great experiences with them, including returning faulty equipment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cowboy1600 said:

You should have finished reading the thread before posting.

All CPUs put out heat, but as I said on my very next post, cooling is subjective.  And all CPUs get hot.

My build makes total sense.  Overclocking is a load of shit.  32Gb RAM is pointless.  A 1060 will do everything pretty much anyone wants these days, and for the foreseeable future, and is great bang for buck.  An 800W PSU is more than enough.  SSDs are not bottlenecks so go for size over speed.Duuuuur.thumb.JPG.647379f3959bedd8d2a5c7ce00cab28f.JPG

Duuuuur.JPG

The I5 6500 doesn't get hot, it literally runs at like 80° with the stock intel cooler under full load. Most games with the stock intel cooler will run @ like 60-70°. Putting that into perspective the 6700k runs at like 120° and will literally fry itself/throttle itself, hence needing a better cooler (and the reason it doesn't come with an Intel cooler)

"overclocking is a load of shit" again shows lack of knowledge, ignoring the fact the 6700 has a higher base clock, overclocking is massively useful. You can push 1-2 years more using overclocking. Hell my old PC lasted another 3 years pushing it from a 2.9ghz to a 4.2ghz. 

if someone is spending 3k on a computer they are not putitng a 1070 in.. it's 100% worth the extra $200 for the GPU. Considering its the most important part of gaming....

It's not a lack of knowledge you arrogant cun7.  It's a difference of opinion.  I've already f**king stated that cooling is subjective.  I only put the water cooler in because, as I f**king quoted, "I love my H100".  How many times do I need to draw your attention to it?

For a typical gaming rig OC'ing is f**king worthless.  3 years from OCing?  I call bullshit.  The 1060 is amazing bang for buck.  Of course there are better options, but they'll cost you and for little to no gain.

If you can't involve yourself in a discussion without being a sanctimonious f**kstick, you probably should stay out.