• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Murray_Calavera

Sound deadening from hell

Hi All, 

Hope this is the right place to post this. I'm looking for some advice on how to remove the adhesive used to hold the sound deadening in place (the yellowy/brown reside where the sound deadening was). 

So I've used dry ice to remove as much sound deadening as possible however the residue is insanely hard to get off. I want to get everything as tidy as the finished bit on you can see on the nearside wheel arch however before I give myself cancer from inhaling copious amounts of fumes from some type of industrial strength solvent, I wanted to see if anyone knows of a better way. 

I feel like this shouldn't be as hard as I'm finding it lol 

Dry ice pocket.jpg

Finished example.jpg

Rear after dry ice.jpg

Dry ice pocket.jpg

Finished example.jpg

Rear after dry ice.jpg

Edited by Murray_Calavera

hey man try a spray called 'oomph'. it can be purchased from coles, bunnings etc. it should remove all the residue

wire brush on a grinder will do it. plus brake cleaner and scrubbing in tight corners

I've done a couple of cars now. Dry ice as much as you can, then carby and throttle body cleaner dissolves it somewhat. Lots of elbow grease though no getting around it if you want it all off without taking paint off.

What Duncan said, I recently did this, wire wheeled that section off, then used a strong wax and grease remover to rub the rest off. Its only that brown sticky shit there. 

Pro Tip - When you go to bunnings to get your wire wheel, buy a set of cover-alls from the paint department. Make sure they have a hood. Wire wheeling gets shit everywhere, but its fast.

On 9/2/2016 at 1:00 PM, samak91 said:

Get some e85 on that

Do you know if petrol/e85 work any better then the heavy duty wax & grease removers/other solvents?

petrol will work, it just cheaper and stinks a whole lot more, try no using a wire wheel, I have used a strong solvent in the past and left it to soak, paint thinners wax and grease ect

On 8/31/2016 at 10:25 PM, Duncan said:

wire brush on a grinder will do it. plus brake cleaner and scrubbing in tight corners

That's it, good old perseverance.