SAU Community

Clints 32 GTR

They are a "Thule" brand Rack but could not find anything at all for a 2 Door skyline (which wasn't surprising) So I had to buy a rack for a Toyota Yaris, cut the mounts up and modify them and moulded new feet out of silicon sealant so they matched the roof profile properly :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yep that was me, Had just left Brisbane and was heading for Sydney :)

Extremely happy with the GTR, Over 8000km across all but one of Australia's Territory's with the only issues we had being:

-Clutch clevis pin popped out, must have been missing the split pin (5 minute fix)
-Horn jammed on when I turned steering full lock, have not investigated why yet, just pulled the relay for now (1 min temp fix)
-One of the adjustable castor suspension arms unwound itself after we went off road for about an hour down one of the tracks SIRI sent us down making the steering wheel 1/4 way off center (15 min fix)
-Close call with a small roo/other car
-Too low for the crazy eastern states driveways that dip 1000meters into the gutter, even tho the car isn't that low! (scratched up the front lip)

Best we got was 11.3L / 100km with the average around 11.7L/100

Tassie Trip.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So had a good look under the car just inspecting for any damage/wear from the trip... Besides being absolutely filthy (dirt/dust) everything seemed pretty good, being aftermarket arms with heim joints I pulled them all apart and gave them a clean out... Found abit of crap got into one of the rear traction arms and noticeable wear on the rod end so will replace that.

Also found the drivers side outer steering tie rod had abit of play... I happened to find these tie rods on UAS which they say help fix some of the bump steer issues when you lower the car.

http://www.uniqueautosports.com.au/Parts-Shop/front-bump-steer-correcting-tie-rod-ends-584.aspx

But then found these from the guys at Shift Performance Parts, Inner and outer rods that look identical.

https://www.shiftperformance.com.au/product/n1-suspension-nissan-skyline-r32-r33-gtr-gts4-14mm-steering-tie-rods-ends-2/

Anyway bolted it all up today no probs, (obviously changed both driver and passenger sides)

Original:

IMG_1114.JPG

"N1" Parts, The angle that the balljoint is mounted on the end of the tie rod was quite different compared to stock.

IMG_1117.JPG

Another interesting this was the inner tie rods had "rack spacers" built into them, Unlike the originals which I purchased a pair of "rack spacer washers" from GKtechIMG_1118.JPG

Setup the toe as best I could with a tape measure, will book for an alignment next week

• Like 1

So my gearbox wasnt doing so well, 1st Gear was terribly hard to engage even at a complete stop and If I tried to shift into 4th or 5th gear at anything other then grandma speeds she would crunch crunch... even worse at higher RPM.

So abit of research many people recommended "Redline Shockproof gear oil" Now I had recently replaced the oil with some Penrite stuff not too long after getting it licensed and even added some additive (cant remember what it was but supposedly gave smoother shifts etc) so I was a little sceptical that the Redline stuff could be that much better.

Oh how wrong I was... Took it for a fang and not even the slightest crunch! 1st gear is even easy to engage! this stuff is truly Magic!

redline-lightweight-shockproof.jpg

• Like 1

I was a little sceptical that the Redline stuff could be that much better.
Oh how wrong I was... Took it for a fang and not even the slightest crunch! 1st gear is even easy to engage! this stuff is truly Magic!
redline-lightweight-shockproof.jpg

I hear that!

My gearbox was woeful changing down to 4th but after it was changed to redline it was a different car.

It really only masks the problem and I know that I will be up for a new gearbox but it has lasted a year and hasn't gotten any worse (yet).
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Small update, I bought myself a early x-mass present in the form of a Whiteline adjustable front & rear swaybar kit :)

New Vs Old (had already fit the front one before I took a pic)

1118.jpg

Rear Fitted:   (underbody still filthy from the road trip)

1146.jpg

Front fitted:

1147.jpg

Also picked up and fit a set of solid steering rack mounts:

1119.jpg

Last not least, the exhaust system had two mufflers... which was great for passing pits and not annoying the gray nomads at the caravan parks while on the road trip but decided to delete the center muffler hoping for abit more of a note.

Section comparison:

1131.jpg

Didn't have any bends and since it was only one decided to just lobster it:

1133.jpg

1134.jpg

Idle was noticeably louder and deeper as expected, Is noticeably louder while driving but surprisingly not all that much. Only been around the block a few times so cant comment on the swaybars/steering rack bushes just yet... Will take it out to some twisties tomorrow :)

• Like 2