SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

Yep just look a greddy bush bearing turbo and that's your precision compressor map basicially. the BB gen 2 versions are slightly better.

Found the Efr maps right next to where you said the precision ones where.

1 hour ago, Piggaz said:

Wouldn't where you change be dictated by your power curve? What rpm do you nose over at?

Unless you have a savage nose over you will generally find that torque to the ground is higher in a lower gear so rev that bitch away :) 

On 9/26/2016 at 5:42 PM, khezz said:

People keep asking for comparisons to other turbos. Precision turbos are the main competition to Borgwarner. The turbo I'm choosing is one that people look at when they look at the 8374. I'm in no way trashing the 8374. It seems like a great product. But it is brand new and hasn't had time to be proven yet. Looking at threads overseas, if the turbine wheel is damaged you will up for a new turbo. There are reports of these turbos leaking. Despite great dyno results, most of the drag records right now are being set with precision turbos. Dyno is a tuning tool. MPH, I believe is the true measure of power. I simply chose a turbo which has been tried and tested. The new turbos are air cooled so no leaks, ever. Parts are easy to get and units are easy to repair. This only my opinion and in time I may very well be proven wrong. As I said before, great thread.

BorgWarner makes 12.5 million turbos per year.  Garrett makes 14 million turbos per year.  Precision is not "main competition" for either... outside of car racing forums. their infrastructure, engineering staff and resulting turbo quality arent even remotely close to being on the same level

On 9/26/2016 at 6:07 PM, Piggaz said:

Geoff, can you confirm any sort of update with the 8374. I haven't seen any "update/gen2/revised" from the get go? What exactly has been "updated"?

no changes to the 8374.  same turbo since the initial release in 2010

On 9/26/2016 at 6:53 PM, Leroy Peterson said:

I remember seeing a few people talk about lack of compressor maps for the BW range (at least I think), but anyway, this is a good tool for picking the right turbo for your application. Though a lot of the required info a bit too specific for most peoples engines

Tutorials and FAQ down the bottom

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/aftermarket/matchbot

BW issues comp maps for all of their turbos, as well as providing max turbo speeds and corresponding max airflow rates.  They also perform burst containment which can save lives... but I agree with the matchbot app.  Incredibly useful once you understand how to navigate it.  It takes me 5 minutes to make an OEM quality match now

Edited by Full-Race Geoff
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, usmair said:

First semi decent run.... On 29psi, have wound up boost controller to try and get 31psi back

received_10157276461535467.jpeg

Looking nice!

We FINALLY got a sort of cool front in down here and the temp is 69F today. WOW the car gained a BUNCH of power! I see it may be in the 50's this weekend so I'm going to try to get one more pumpgas run at the track this weekend to see what it will do when it's not 100 degrees and 100% humid out. I'm hoping to be in the 11.4 range at 124 or so on pump...let's see what happens!

• Like 1

Geoff I never said EFR are a bad turbo. Every one here acts like I insulted there kids. My money, my choice. Like it or not. What do you care what I buy. It's just a thread about just a turbo.

34 minutes ago, khezz said:

Geoff I never said EFR are a bad turbo. Every one here acts like I insulted there kids. My money, my choice. Like it or not. What do you care what I buy. It's just a thread about just a turbo.

Khezz...thank you for your input and feedback. But there is an issue that you don't have a Precision or an EFR so if you don't have anything to add regarding your personal experience with either of these turbos please stop cluttering our thread. Stuff like this killed our last thread and I'm sure we (the participants who have run the turbos you are talking about on our cars) would like to keep it concise and to the point.

Again, we understand your intentions, but the theoretical differences between the precision and the BW EFR are already documented and anyone can find the data online. We are looking for specific results for comparisons.

Not trying to be rude or personal, but the thread is for EFR turbos and emphasis is on ACTUAL comparison and ACTUAL data or if you need help planning on which one to get we can help you model your results in matchbot (but you are TOTALLY on your own with a Precision because no data exists on them).

Thank you!

• Like 1

Just now, s2d4 said:

Does anyone have any turbo speed logs?

For a turbo that has specific speed ratings, being high end in price, it seems near on impossible for people to share any turbo speed logs, why is that?

I'll be running the road rage gauge before the end of the year. I am out of 5v inputs on the Haltech so I need a CAN HUB, and a 12 I/O hub so I can still use my Haltech Wideband as well (It's currently using the CANHUB adaptor), so you could imagine I was dodging the extra expense since I'm still on pumpgas. I could just temporarily swap my oil temp sensor (since winter is approaching) I guess so I'll look into ordering the gauge first to at least get data before I start the E85 conversion. Two E85 stations are being built in my town and target opening is November!!!! SUPER EXCITED to potentially gain another 150 whp.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mr skidz said:

Conspiracy.

Here is why for me. It will cost me $725 (plus shipping) to install the road rage gauge while still using my wideband and other engine protection sensors. I should only need this gauge to protect my turbo when I move to E85. E85 conversion will require the E85 sensor (which I already have, but not wired in because I'll need I/O Expansion to add any more 0-5V inputs). So I'm at a point where this whole integration becomes very expensive. Couple that will the fact that I'll likely need 2 walbro 460's and a new set of at least ID 1400cc injectors to run the E85, and likely move up from my 3" exhaust and stock intercooler and you get the idea that the next 150 whp will cost me easily several thousand USD! Everytime I think about the jump I think of how far I am away. I still think I could run a low 11 second pass on pumpgas here shortly with nicer weather....Not to mention I'm still on a stock trans!

x.png   Road Rage Gages - TSS (turbo speed scaler) $98.25 $98.25
x.png   BorgWarner EFR Turbo Speed Sensor Kit $156.61 $156.61
HT-059991 CAN HUB-Mini 3 Port - for use with up to two CAN devices (includes 1 x White 300mm/12" CAN cable)

HT-059991 CAN HUB-Mini 3 Port - for use with up to two CAN devices (includes 1 x White 300mm/12" CAN cable)

Edit $67.00   $67.00 Remove item
HT-059902 IO 12 Expander Box A - CAN Based 12 Channel inc Plug & Pins (includes Black 600mm CAN Cable)

HT-059902 IO 12 Expander Box A - CAN Based 12 Channel inc Plug & Pins (includes Black 600mm CAN Cable)

Edit $374.00   $374.00 Remove item
HT-040053 Haltech CAN Cable White 150mm

HT-040053 Haltech CAN Cable White 150mm

Edit $29.00   $29.00 Remove item

Again, I could just spend the ~$250 on the scaler and the sensor and temporarily tie it in to check speeds then revert back to my oil temp or oil pressure sensors later.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, s2d4 said:

Does anyone have any turbo speed logs?

For a turbo that has specific speed ratings, being high end in price, it seems near on impossible for people to share any turbo speed logs, why is that?

Considering the initial issues with production, and the fact that overspeeding may contribute to the Ti wheel failure I would think ensuring that they are below the max. speed would be important. This may have been mentioned, is warranty voided with overspeeding? If it can be proven one way or the other I suppose.