SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

Just now, R.3.2.G.T.R said:

hi guys, planning on jumping on the efr 8374 T4 1.05 bandwagon shortly, just wanted to clarify few things:

going for EWG, any benefits to choosing IWG?

looking at 6boost manifold, should i be going 1 or 2 gate option?

TIA

EWG is much better than IWG (and only available in .92 I think)

You will need twin gate if it's a twin scroll manifold or they might do a split single pipe.

17 minutes ago, acsplit said:

EWG is much better than IWG (and only available in .92 I think)

You will need twin gate if it's a twin scroll manifold or they might do a split single pipe.

external gate it is
whats the recommended wastegate port size for both single and twin gate options?

On 4/12/2018 at 9:17 AM, HarrisRacing said:

These are my old pumpgas results on 8374 IWG with nothing more than changing cam settings (increased overlap).

Sorry guys here are the results. Tapatalk didn't let me upload.

Screenshot_20180412-091600_Photos.jpg

Oh and I want to qualify something in case someone dug any of this up from the past in this thread.

GTR's are pretty hard to come by in the states and I went off the deep end with my build. My car showed up with a rod knock and I didn't really get to experience the factory twins in their stock form. I went straight to 2.75L stroker and BW 8374 EFR IWG .92 turbo on a 6 boost manifold. Well during my build I had the typical accusations of "American Horsepower" which bothered me and my car ended up running about 128 mph in the 1/4 on pumpgas and 93 octane. On our dyno the car would typically put around 575 whp down at around 19-20 psig boost. Then I tuned it on E85 with the new ECUmasters EMUBLACK and the car made 740 whp and 615 wtq at 30 psi tapering to 25 or so on topend...again I think there were neigh sayers about it. I shortly thereafter crashed the car before I could get to the track and prove the new MPH (and run my 9 second pass). Rest assured, I still have the car and the drivetrain is still good (foreshadowing here).

Anyway, fast forward I just picked up another R32 GTR. I spent the day checking it out and going through it. It has an exedy hyper single clutch, stock RB26 with N1 oil and water pumps (don't worry, I know), some filter pods, brand new Garrett -7 turbos, R34 intercooler, Greddy downpipe, HKS super Dragger exhaust. It was running STOCK boost at 10 psi and I'll be honest felt pretty dang laggy to me coming from my other car. Well I put the car on the SAME DYNO here (mine) and started turning up the boost and checking AFR's today. Here are the results and the car got MUCH more fun to drive with the increased boost from 10 psi up to ~17 or so today. Looks like I need to pull the plugs and gap them because it broke up right at the top on the higher boost runs (or there is an AFM limit on this ecu?). I don't have much experience with stock RB26 or stock format twins, but the car pulled very nicely on the street (once it get spooled up). It goes to show that a stroker and 8374 EFR completely crush the pumpgas results from my other car.

RB26 -7 dyno pumpgas 17 psi max.jpg

RB26 -7 dyno pumpgas starting at 10psi.jpg

8374 EFR 2_75L stroker pumpgas 93 dyno.jpg

• Like 2

Here is a dyno sheet of Jake Jones RB28 now with 9174.  The precision was junk for drifting too laggy. Most overseas drifters run an EFR so will be interesting to see what he thinks. Screenshot_20180423-232603.thumb.png.8a20d6960cdb71a9c3df7e4da5f32e43.pnga

• Like 5

9 hours ago, acsplit said:

Here is a dyno sheet of Jake Jones RB28 now with 9174.  The precision was junk for drifting too laggy. Most overseas drifters run an EFR so will be interesting to see what he thinks. Screenshot_20180423-232603.thumb.png.8a20d6960cdb71a9c3df7e4da5f32e43.pnga

Nice- fair to assume the blue line is the EFR9174?  Any idea of which housing on the EFR?  

Interesting seeing the progression - Garrett > Precision > Borg Warner EFR.  Be interesting to see if he stays with this now.

Edited by Lithium

11 hours ago, acsplit said:

That's a huge hole that's been filled! Mind you, that 6870 probably has 200-300hp left in it

1 hour ago, SimonR32 said:

That's a huge hole that's been filled! Mind you, that 6870 probably has 200-300hp left in it

Yeah it's a bit tricky when two turbos being compared have fairly different flow potentials, it's pretty misleading if it's not made really clear that the "laggier" turbo actually is operating below it's potential to make that power while the "awesome powerband" turbo is probably sitting near it's limit to achieve the same thing.

On the flipside, 200-300 sounds pretty generous - >840 @ hubs is not messing about, the Mainline hub dynos don't seem as "happy" as the Dynapacks.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 10:32 AM, Lithium said:

Yeah it's a bit tricky when two turbos being compared have fairly different flow potentials, it's pretty misleading if it's not made really clear that the "laggier" turbo actually is operating below it's potential to make that power while the "awesome powerband" turbo is probably sitting near it's limit to achieve the same thing.

On the flipside, 200-300 sounds pretty generous - >840 @ hubs is not messing about, the Mainline hub dynos don't seem as "happy" as the Dynapacks.

Mine went 770 on dynapack and 780 on mainline with less boost and richer so go figure haha. Mind you it did have some very nice R35 coils throwing spark on mainline

18 hours ago, SimonR32 said:

Mine went 770 on dynapack and 780 on mainline with less boost and richer so go figure haha. Mind you it did have some very nice R35 coils throwing spark on mainline

Oh interesting - I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but a few Mainline lads have implied that the Dynapacks read a lot higher and I just went with that.  I wouldn't have expected the R35 coils to make much difference unless your spark was only just (or not) holding up before.

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

Oh interesting - I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but a few Mainline lads have implied that the Dynapacks read a lot higher and I just went with that.  I wouldn't have expected the R35 coils to make much difference unless your spark was only just (or not) holding up before.

Was borderline previous, think gaps were just under 0.5 while easily threw spark at 0.8 with R35 coils

12 minutes ago, SimonR32 said:

Was borderline previous, think gaps were just under 0.5 while easily threw spark at 0.8 with R35 coils

Ahh ok, yeah could have been a thing to muddy things a bit.  Still, it's a lot of power in any money - and I'm not sure a 6870 would make 1100hp @ hubs haha

3 hours ago, Lithium said:

Ahh ok, yeah could have been a thing to muddy things a bit.  Still, it's a lot of power in any money - and I'm not sure a 6870 would make 1100hp @ hubs haha

No but I don't think 1000hp is out of the question with the right gear and tune

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Quick question.  What is the difference between alu and cast iron chra - apart from weight?  Do we know what aluminum grade is used by BW?

how well does the alu hold up?

Thanks kenny