SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

12 hours ago, R.3.2.G.T.R said:

EFR 8374 ordered, cant wait for the goodness 

You will love it!

Can't wait to run mine with the new 2.8L engine! It was good on the 2.5L but will be amazing one the 2.8 :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So Guys.

What is the consensus with the 7670?  There appears to be only 1 person who has run it here on a worked RB, that being Kinkstaah on your 2.8 with VCT.

I'm going to be running a very similar setup :

RB28 Nitto 2.8 with 9.5:1 Compression
HKS Vcam 264 in.   Tomei 260 out

I'm going to have my 7670 on there and probably end up bolting a 1.05 rear housing to it.

But from seeing the results people are saying the 7670 on these bigger engines while will work, will give no added response over a 8374 and make less power - while not proven but that's what I'm getting from the hearsay.

So does anybody have any real results from the 7670 ?

For your setup I would recommend the 8374.

Mine is a RB25 based RB28 from the neo. I still have a redline of 7000RPM and RWD. I have the 1.05 twin scroll rear.

You have a RB26 based motor, which I would assume you plan on revving to 8000rpm. Most RB26 people don't have VCT so the 8374 is great. They and you also have AWD.

I don't personally think there's a huge difference in spool (or power) between them. That said, mine may be getting close to the limit on the upper end of 430kw. I don't have a speed sensor to test, but absolutely would if I was going to spin it that far.

I run about 18psi and make 395rwkw, 12psi will get me 329kw, but that info is in the dyno sheet. The BW Matchbot shows me very bad things if I put 25psi into it, hence not going to push my luck without a speed sensor.

Is the 7670 and a 2.8 and VCT a transient response monster? I'm happy enough with it that I want to pull the motor and turbo out and put something else in there. Still feels like a full second between WOT and boost coming back in a scenario where you'd otherwise be off throttle. I'd be keen to see those numbers side by side running that test actually. It is however pretty nice from part throttle.

But on a 26 in a GTR, make use of the AWD and the 8000rpm redline. The 7670 will nose over anyway if you plan to push it, which everyone does. Obviously it won't if you run 10psi and aim at 300kw with it, but I doubt that is the plan.

nitto 2.8 AND V-cam??

Id be going 9000rpm redline, EFR9180 1.05 and sending it.

8374 at the minimum.

I've got a 8374 1.05 on a little 2.6 and its bloody good at 450awkw but not a lot left turbine speed wise, let alone extra capacity and 50 degrees of cam adjustment to play with.

I've been googling 8474 every week for the last 2 years.

most people regret going smaller, very few regret going larger, especially when your engine is built with headroom to cop it.

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 1

The difference in my case (i.e I'm the only one who went smaller and has no desire to go bigger)

1) Need to go from a 1 pump fuel system to a 2 pump system at 450kw+
2) Blowing up gearboxes is a risk
3) Blowing up motors is a risk "Safe 350kw' is a long way from 'Safe 500kw'
4) Grip (RWD)
5) Lag (RWD)
6) Daily driven Clutches start becoming painful
7) Don't have 1000 more RPM to play with like a 26. Maybe I do because solid head, but I'll stay close to factory rev limit which is still 1000rpm lower.

The most effiecient max power on BW Matchbot is a 9174 or 9180 to run 30psi through a motor like yours or mine. These according to BW, make in the region of 850hp. Do you want to make 630kw once, or do you want to make 630kw through 150 hot laps every other weekend?

IMO that is the decision process regarding selecting any turbo really.

• Like 2

Never posted my dyno sheet after EFR upgrade. Here it is 2.8 with 9180 1.04 housing and all other supporting mods on E85.
IMG_9274.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buraz said:

Never posted my dyno sheet after EFR upgrade. Here it is 2.8 with 9180 1.04 housing and all other supporting mods on E85.
IMG_9274.jpg

extra capacity/built engine makes a big difference. You come on around 1,000RPM earlier compared to my 2.6 with 9.180 - you get going at 5,000RPM where mine comes on song around 5,800 RPM

• Like 1

Yep, from my experience with an 8374 on even an RB26 I can't see why you would go smaller...  not remotely comparable to the lag of -5s haha

• Like 1

It's interesting to see how everyone perceives lag so differently. Maybe it's because AWD and RB26 land with more rpm. But Kinstaah's result is fckin amazing in my book. 394rwkw at 18psi. Surely capable of ~440rwkw+ if you wanted to lean on the turbo a little more. IMHO that's more than enough power (especially in RWD).

Can't recall if he popped the dyno sheets up but I'm pretty sure it's making just over 300rwkw at 4000rpm. It is comparable (but next level) to the response and pickup I get with the 7163 on my SR20 (250rwkw at 4000rpm). Makes for an amazing road car, spools very early and really picks up and goes without having to wind up the rpm much at all. I can't fathom possibly being happy with a turbo that doesn't make full boost until 5000rpm or later.

On something a little more 'standard' like a Neo RB25 I'm sure the 7670 would be an absolutely fantastic option. Awesome driveability with IMHO more than enough power.

Again just my opinion. And maybe it's different in 4wd land, but I don't see how you can USE more than 400rwkw on the road, especially taking into account the pressure you're putting on your engine, gearbox and inevitably very heavy duty clutch.

extra capacity/built engine makes a big difference. You come on around 1,000RPM earlier compared to my 2.6 with 9.180 - you get going at 5,000RPM where mine comes on song around 5,800 RPM

Tbh dyno sheet doesn’t do it justice, feels like it’s on even earlier than it shows, but not sure if yours is same with smaller capacity. I got another almost 1500rpm to go in my turbo. I’m over the moon with it all tho

For those who are interested on some racing results on the 9180.

I ran 10.4 @ 140.68 mph today at GTR festival before my triple plate decided to shit itself. 

The haltech log showed 2nd, 3rd and 4th had full boost of 30 psi with 35 psi only being achieved in 5th. 

Now in the process of upgrading to an eboost2 as the profec II just doesn't have the flexibility needed.

This will help with more boost and hence more power in 2nd, 3rd and 4th  hopefully resulting in bigger mph and lower ET.

• Like 1

I also have real results of an EFR7670 on an RB26, it was within my power goals and I felt like giving it a go seeing as the resaleability of EFR turbos is good and later going with an 8374 with the same rear housing would make it a straight fit.

From what I found we really had to restrict how quickly it came on due to knock, results were inconclusive as I saw power loss in the exact same RPM area as my R32 Nismo turbos. I am wanting to see how far I can go with this before jumping ship and going to a larger compressor.