SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

1 hour ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Do yourself a favour and don't use sparesbox.

I waited 10 months for mine to arrive and it was always coming 'next week'. Even getting my money back was a pain.

7 hours ago, burn4005 said:

Sparesbox have 20% off on eBay all the time but I'm not sure they actually can get their hands on them/have stock

Also sparesbox are pretty darn expensive, and seem to just jack up all their prices whenever they have a 'sale'.

• Like 1

Do yourself a favour and don't use sparesbox.
I waited 10 months for mine to arrive and it was always coming 'next week'. Even getting my money back was a pain.

+1 for this.
Took them two n a half weeks to inform me that they were unable to get the exhaust system that I wanted which was marked as in stock on their website.
I asked a couple times what was happening and they just kept saying they were expecting it to turn up today

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 5:08 PM, VFRegal said:

One of the guys in Street Cars Class in WA.

7670, not nice !

Yes, that's mine - a 7670 on 23psi on a SR 2.2L pushing out some impressive numbers. Still waiting for an assessment of why the compressor shaft snapped after 1 dyno run and 1 and 1/2 laps at Barbagallo during a slow warm-up lap. I'm a big fan of the EFR and pretty impressed with my 9180 on an RB34 that's run faultlessly for 3 seasons+ of racing.

Forgot to mention that the 490kw was done with Bosch 1650s,
stock R34 fuel lines,
stock fuel rail
stock nissan filter
single in tank pump (pierburg l3lm at 17.5v and pwm control)
Aftermarket fuel hat
Diff Fuel pressure drops from 45 to 42psi from idle to redline with fixed pump speed but can be ramped in to keep it flat.

Pressure at pump outlet is probably much higher!

18 hours ago, Nissanmania said:

Yes, that's mine - a 7670 on 23psi on a SR 2.2L pushing out some impressive numbers. Still waiting for an assessment of why the compressor shaft snapped after 1 dyno run and 1 and 1/2 laps at Barbagallo during a slow warm-up lap. I'm a big fan of the EFR and pretty impressed with my 9180 on an RB34 that's run faultlessly for 3 seasons+ of racing.

Yes I follow your racing exploits on facebook. I have a 7163 in my s15 which is great but a little small for Barbagallo. I actually passed your s14 the other morning on the way to work. Was trailered up outside the deli/coffee shop in West Perth. I would be interested to find out why your 7670 let go.

18 hours ago, Nissanmania said:

That's pretty unlucky with the 7670 :( Not something you hear happening, the few EFR failures I have heard of have been overspeed / turbine wheel related

9180 on a 3.4 sounds like a real hearty combination though! 

While there's some sr20 chat. I got mine re dynoed last week. Changes / upgrades and attempts to fix boost drop were:

Link g4+ ecu (controlling boost now)

New boost solenoid

map sensor instead of hpx afm

New iat sensor

Canbus wideband controller

New vct gear (old one was rattly)

new tomei 258 Poncam (maybe more ex flow)

Was pretty much better everywhere. More response. More power on less boost. Pretty fantastic result. My gen1 Walbro 416 fuel pump was maxing out so will probs change to the new 525 one and retune to smoothen things out.

Car also lasted about an hour before the original (260,000kms old) rocker arms snapped (two of them) so getting new ones out in and dual shim setup on them done this week to get her back on the road.

338rwkw and a really meaty midrange of about 260rwkw at 4k. Full boost at about 3800rpm.

Green is the final result. The 'shit' red one is the last 307rwkw with more boost in the mid but less power overall especially as tapering off.

Image (5)~2.jpg

Image (2)~2.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome result !

A friend is thinking about stepping up on his SR. Can you give me  some details about your setup or point me to your topic where you present your setup.

2 hours ago, R_34 said:

Awesome result !

A friend is thinking about stepping up on his SR. Can you give me  some details about your setup or point me to your topic where you present your setup.

Sure:
 - Forged engine, pistons, rings, rods. Head studs, main studs, nitto HG, stronger valve springs, RAS.
 - Full-race T4 TS Manifold (ewg but with the ewg ports blocked off with vband plates so I can use in future if I want)
 - BW EFR7163 0.80 TS. TS Bov. TS Dual port 24psi actuator
- Bosch 1650cc injectors in top feel rail. All braided lines, aftermarket fuel filter.
 - Havoc straight intake and 2.5" custom intercooler piping with new Aeroflow core
 - 3" vband dump to cat, resonator, muffler (3" all the way)
 - Link G4+ S15 plugin ECU
 - Walbro 416lph fuel pump direct wired to battery

That's about it for the turbo / engine / power setup.

I really love the result but alot of me would be hard pressed to recommend it given the cost and issues I've faced. When something like a new GTX2867R Gen2 will perform 90% as well in basically bolt on configuration with stock manifold etc..... certainly way less headaches.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MaximuSmurf said:

While there's some sr20 chat. I got mine re dynoed last week. Changes / upgrades and attempts to fix boost drop were:

Was pretty much better everywhere. More response. More power on less boost. Pretty fantastic result. My gen1 Walbro 416 fuel pump was maxing out so will probs change to the new 525 one and retune to smoothen things out.

338rwkw and a really meaty midrange of about 260rwkw at 4k. Full boost at about 3800rpm.

That's a really nice result!  Still having boost control issues, though?   The turbo should have more flow in it, which is a shame - but that is a massive delivery for an SR20!   How does it drive?

1 minute ago, Lithium said:

That's a really nice result!  Still having boost control issues, though?   The turbo should have more flow in it, which is a shame - but that is a massive delivery for an SR20!   How does it drive?

Thanks.

And not 'really'. Line is a little wavy but pretty flat holding ~25psi the whole time now. Internal gate is always a little tougher to manage but I'm trying to squeeze the best result out I can before going external gate. Just because $$$ and legality here in Vic (not sure who I'm kidding about legality after going high mount).

Drives really really well. It's my daily driver so just putting around town and the streets is great. Beautiful torque and pull down low. You REALLY use that BW transient as you can come off/on throttle and it's quite effortless to get moving again. It does break traction in the dry in a straight line in 3rd now... soooo.... I'll do new subframe/diff bushes and some rear suspension arms in the hope of providing a little more rear grip, if that doesn't work I might run a little less boost just to make it a little less of a handful.

Not tooooo sure why I'm getting such a huge power drop after 6000rpm, maybe the cams are just too small. But to be honest I'm not that fussed, just want to be driving the car now. Will probs drop the RPM limit a bit for safety to prevent me snapping anymore rockers and see how she goes.

Ideally I'll start putting some $$$ away to chuck a P12 head on in future which will fix me having to replace VCT gears and hopefully stop the cam bottleneck (if that's what it is).

1 minute ago, Lithium said:

I had guessed that the power rolling over may have been partly necessity to avoid leaning out with the fuel pump starting to max out?

I'm not sure. Unfortunately I wasn't there when the tuner was finishing up so I didn't get a huge amount of details about some of those little niggles. Will go back for a touch up with the new bigger fuel pump in and see if that helps smooth anything out.

here is my dyno log over the 8374 compressor map. the 8374 is a pretty good match for an rb26.

I've moved the air flow scale slightly to make the turbo speed lines line up better. I would also expect the pressure ratio to be slightly higher due to air filter and intercooler pressure drop. I'm just using MAP here. you can see why they snap on so hard, it goes right through the peak efficiency zone when it's spooling.

image.thumb.png.356ec6191934f57343d820badde90a33.png

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 1