SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

50 minutes ago, Nosure said:

Hi. Will fit on a fully build rb28 with cnc head 280 cams etc. 

turbo is here today. New exhaust setup should be done in 3 weeks time. 

:worship:

I like it.  Very cool, look forward to seeing how this comes together - sending it on E85?  Please post results when it's done :)

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

:worship:

I like it.  Very cool, look forward to seeing how this comes together - sending it on E85?  Please post results when it's done :)

Yes mate. E85 full time.  The 1.45 housing look huge.  Hope I choose the right housing:)

2 minutes ago, Nosure said:

Yes mate. E85 full time.  The 1.45 housing look huge.  Hope I choose the right housing:)

That that size cams, engine and compressor you obviously want to party - so that turbine housing will be well justified I suspect :) What kind of power and power delivery were you looking for?

Fwiw I've been in a GTR running an RB28 with a 1.45 EFR8374 and it was surprisingly punchy, the 280deg cams will probably soften it up a bit down low but I suspect it'll still have a hearty power delivery - so long as the black series 68mm compressor doesn't come at too much cost in spool.  I suspect it should prove to be a pretty rewarding power delivery

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

That that size cams, engine and compressor you obviously want to party - so that turbine housing will be well justified I suspect :) What kind of power and power delivery were you looking for?

Fwiw I've been in a GTR running an RB28 with a 1.45 EFR8374 and it was surprisingly punchy, the 280deg cams will probably soften it up a bit down low but I suspect it'll still have a hearty power delivery - so long as the black series 68mm compressor doesn't come at too much cost in spool.  I suspect it should prove to be a pretty rewarding power delivery

What I see is the compressor flow increase 20% might need bigger rear housing to max out the turbo.  1.05 is small even for 8374 in my eye. 

14 hours ago, Nosure said:

What I see is the compressor flow increase 20% might need bigger rear housing to max out the turbo.  1.05 is small even for 8374 in my eye. 

Agreed, the 1.05 can work ok on EFR8374s depending on the setup but I wouldn't use it on an EFR8474 on a 2.8 with a good head.  It sounds like a good combo from all I can tell.  Looking forward to seeing how it comes out :)

Edited by Lithium

That isnt a terribly hard question to answer if you know what is max engine RPM?  a 2.8L engine revving to 8500rpm @40psi boost, will produce 1000+hp at the limit of the compressor map.  Speed sensor mandatory. 

The 80mm turbine in 1.45 a/r will see 11-13psi backpressure so its really a question of why do you need 1000hp and is this really the right way to get there? 

10 hours ago, Deano 1 said:

will the 9280 make 1000hp atw on a 2.8 with everything needed to make 1000hp...... that is the question.

Depends on how harsh the dyno is etc, the compressor flow is there for well >1000hp @ crank on E85 but the question with the EFR range has often been if the exhaust side is up to it given people already run into EMAP issues with the EFR9180.. granted it's hard to know how much that's just due to people running out of compressor on them

• Haha 1

People really like round numbers don't they.. My car did 495kw at absolute max turbo speed and everyone always asks why I didn't go one psi more to break the half ton.

If you need a round number in your life set the Dyno to metric and aim for 700kw instead of 1000hp.

People forget that tuners pull a degree or two of global out when they unstrap the car anyway. 

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, burn4005 said:

People really like round numbers don't they.. My car did 495kw at absolute max turbo speed and everyone always asks why I didn't go one psi more to break the half ton.

I might be in the right mood for this, but I love so much about this comment. 

1000hp is such a random made up number, like I understand the bragging rights but seriously.  If you get an EFR9280 on a strong RB28, and tune it until you hit around 117,000rpm shaft speed then who gives a crap what the dyno says - that is going to be a FAST car.   Pick a bunch of parts which work well together and build, tune until it's sent and go forth and enjoy... that is the way to get a happiest result.  The reality is those other numbers become academic in the end and sometimes result in people making compromises trying to hit a target which is academic and realistically you will make different power on different days or different situations depending on what various aspects of the tune kick in and compensate for whatever may be going on at the time, as you get ESPECIALLY on big high strain setups.

A specific power number which can mean different things on different dynos and even days, or setups is not worth making compromises on imho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

HP, kW, Shaft speed are great numbers, but those numbers are completely useless if you can't back it up with tyre blazing power skidz for dayz! 

Fyp

• Like 5