SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

Yeah. It’s something rare.  If look the map it doesn’t make sense. But we really can’t find any mechanical problem so far.  The engine still make 600hp 20psi. Which means engine is good.  And the intake temp is good too. I haven’t measure turbo outlet temp yet. 

My ecu is haltech plug in.  

2 hours ago, Lithium said:

Something really doesn't sound right, are you going to the 4port due to having issues holding boost?

If you are maintaining 23psi through the run and your wheel speed is 114,000rpm then the turbo is moving a LOT of air, like over 90lb/min.... but you are only making 70-75lb/min power levels:

image.png.2cbe3e9ee001ec510f41cfa60ed2dda7.png

What kind of ECU are you using? 

Yeah the 3 ports can’t hold boost well after 23psi.  

10 minutes ago, Nosure said:

Yeah the 3 ports can’t hold boost well after 23psi.  

And I'm assuming that's with a reasonably sensible base pressure?   It is definitely adding up that the turbo is starting to work quite hard, like what the wheel speed is indicating.

There is a pressure source on the EFR compressor housing, at the very least I'd try and find out what pressure is being hit there and if you're seeing a suspicious pressure drop between there and the intake manifold.     Just for sport I'll bet 25 internet points that there is a significant discrepancy there.

What does the power curve look like?

Edited by Lithium

21 minutes ago, Lithium said:

And I'm assuming that's with a reasonably sensible base pressure?   It is definitely adding up that the turbo is starting to work quite hard, like what the wheel speed is indicating.

There is a pressure source on the EFR compressor housing, at the very least I'd try and find out what pressure is being hit there and if you're seeing a suspicious pressure drop between there and the intake manifold.     Just for sport I'll bet 25 internet points that there is a significant discrepancy there.

What does the power curve look like?

Power curve look ok. Power start drop after 7500rpm. And on power around 4500-5000rpm.   

Yeah I agree with you. It sound like something hold it back before or after the turbo.  

Edited by Nosure

2 hours ago, burn4005 said:

The other possibility, albeit unlikely is a pre turbo inlet restriction causing your compressors operating pressure ratio to be much higher than normal. You've got a big inlet filter on there?

Yeah. That’s another thing need to check tomorrow. I will remove the filter.  It’s a big 4inch KN filter.  But I haven’t clean it:(

3 minutes ago, fatz said:

I would be disappointed with 600ponies at 20 psi

lol

You farkers r special

Actually not quite sure on your angle here.  Maybe I need to be more drunk for this to make sense? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nosure said:

Today. We finally found the problem with a smoke machine. It was a big leak just above the oil filter and under the inlet manifold.  Now I know where the boost and hp goes. 

Well done mate - that must be a relief.    Smoke machine eh - how did you hook that up..?

great news well done on finding it!

seriously, turbo speed sensors are so under rated. they tell you LOTS about an engine.

(unless you have a precision, then f**k you don't ask questions it a 900hp turbo haha) 

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, R32 TT said:

Well done mate - that must be a relief.    Smoke machine eh - how did you hook that up..?

A 3inch bung plug the inlet manifold, and fill the smoke in.  If you see smoke there is a leak  , my one doesn’t look like a crack hose  it look like one big hose not connecting anything. Will see what happens when it fixed. I think it should doing what I expect. Better response more power and higher boost.

goog thing is even with the big leak. The car still make over 600hp and response not too bad.   

338FC912-B7EB-4C3D-AEFF-A843096DABC9.png

Edited by Nosure
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, burn4005 said:

great news well done on finding it!

seriously, turbo speed sensors are so under rated. they tell you LOTS about an engine.

(unless you have a precision, then f**k you don't ask questions it a 900hp turbo haha) 

Yeah. the turbo speed sensor really tell alot things. Now i know why my gtx3584rs only made 580awhp with high inlet temp.   If I had speed sensor before I might keep the 3584 and fix the leak.  

5 hours ago, Nosure said:

Today. We finally found the problem with a smoke machine. It was a big leak just above the oil filter and under the inlet manifold.  Now I know where the boost and hp goes. 

That's great news!  Just think how many people with similar issues could have ended up just moving on and thinking that is how the setup is meant to perform without realising it could perform overall much better?  It happens a lot, shows the worth of having good data and paying attention to what it's saying :) nice work finding the issue !

Knowing the issue actually makes the result so far pretty impressive, this is probably going to be a different beast next time it meets the Dyno - when is that likely to happen?

8 minutes ago, Lithium said:

That's great news!  Just think how many people with similar issues could have ended up just moving on and thinking that is how the setup is meant to perform without realising it could perform overall much better?  It happens a lot, shows the worth of having good data and paying attention to what it's saying :) nice work finding the issue !

Knowing the issue actually makes the result so far pretty impressive, this is probably going to be a different beast next time it meets the Dyno - when is that likely to happen?

Hi mate. I will get the leak and a few other things fixed next week.  Hope later next week. 

On 8/16/2019 at 1:20 AM, burn4005 said:

seriously, turbo speed sensors are so under rated. they tell you LOTS about an engine.  (unless you have a precision, then f**k you don't ask questions it a 900hp turbo haha) 

funny, but true.  We sell many turbos and very few turbo speed sensors.  Most enthusiasts will not utilize the sensor and instead spend inordinate amounts of time to diagnose a boost leak or exhaust leak... or they are adamant "the turbo sucks".  The reality is most heavily modified engines will have a boost leak somewhere.  It could be at the intake manifold flange/gasket, intercooler, bov, throttle body, coupler, clamp... the speed sensor + smoke test saves a ton of time and massively improves the end result

On 8/16/2019 at 5:20 AM, Nosure said:

Now i know why my gtx3584rs only made 580awhp with high inlet temp.   If I had speed sensor before I might keep the 3584 and fix the leak.  

that will do it!

On 8/16/2019 at 5:33 AM, Lithium said:

Just think how many people with similar issues could have ended up just moving on and thinking that is how the setup is meant to perform without realising it could perform overall much better?  It happens a lot, shows the worth of having good data and paying attention to what it's saying

agreed, Lith

• Like 1

On 16/08/2019 at 9:42 PM, Nosure said:

Hi mate. I will get the leak and a few other things fixed next week.  Hope later next week. 

Cool, good luck - that 700whp target should get royally smashed if you end up spinning the turbo as hard as you were with the leak, hopefully a spool improvement too