SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

On 24/05/2020 at 3:45 AM, RB335 said:

Making 50% of max power by 4500, that's amazing.  Tempting me to switch from my 8474 to twin 6258s

Is anybody able to take measurements of the EFR9280 compressor, I'm seeing if I have enough clearance on my engine to run and test it compared to the 9180 which I have on me which fit fine on a 6boost T4 in a R33 GTR engine bay

I don't think it's that shocking on an RB30, it's good but it's not unheard of at all.   I think if you get the EFR8474 running on a good (/similar) RB30 setup you'd not be left feeling disappointed.

• Like 1

THAT! ^^^^ Not trying to take anything away from that result as it's no doubt a f**king fast car! BUT an 8474 or above will go toe to toe with that all day. Particularly down low /midrange power. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna change my setup now. The PT6466 System is going for sale because I'm looking for a different driving style.

Will try the EFR 7670 with a 1.05 EWG and a 6 boost manifold with 2x40mm wastegates and im curious to see what it's gonna be. Aim is to come close to 550 engine horses on 100 octan.
Hope it brings some fresh wind :D

Edited by meX

Question!

Who has used a TurboSmart replacement BOV that fits in the OEM position?  And if so has anyone actually noted a difference?

There appears to be a suggestion the factory one may leak - but I don't know if that's true or not.  I don't see how I can measure either - so the only way to find out is replace and see (which is an expensive experiment if it does nothing)

And Turbosmart appear to offer two variants:

https://turbosource.com/products/turbosmart-kompact-shortie-plumb-back-efr-bov-upgrade

https://turbosource.com/products/turbosmart-kompact-shortie-dual-port-efr-bov-upgrade

Any feedback ?

1 hour ago, R32 TT said:

There appears to be a suggestion the factory one may leak - but I don't know if that's true or not.  I don't see how I can measure either

You can test if the factory one is opening under boost by simply blocking it off with a coke can gasket. You're not looking for the differences anywhere except when making boost.

2 hours ago, R32 TT said:

Question!

Who has used a TurboSmart replacement BOV that fits in the OEM position?  And if so has anyone actually noted a difference?

There appears to be a suggestion the factory one may leak - but I don't know if that's true or not.  I don't see how I can measure either - so the only way to find out is replace and see (which is an expensive experiment if it does nothing)

And Turbosmart appear to offer two variants:

https://turbosource.com/products/turbosmart-kompact-shortie-plumb-back-efr-bov-upgrade

https://turbosource.com/products/turbosmart-kompact-shortie-dual-port-efr-bov-upgrade

Any feedback ?

I had the dual port turbosmart bov on my 7163 to help with compressor surge on throttle lift off. No longer an issue with the 8374, so if you'd like a cheaper 2nd hand one let me know.

The other main difference is adjustable spring tension for the given vacuum of the engine.

11 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

You can test if the factory one is opening under boost by simply blocking it off with a coke can gasket. You're not looking for the differences anywhere except when making boost.

In this case by factory/OEM I think that's referring to the standard EFR integrated BOV, not the Nissan one. I don't think you can block off the EFR one with a coke can.

I'm just about to get on the EFR train and get a 9280/1.45 for my RB34.

Any recommendations as to where the best place is to source one?  

22 hours ago, GTRNUR said:

I'm just about to get on the EFR train and get a 9280/1.45 for my RB34.

Any recommendations as to where the best place is to source one?  

Probably me ?

yep i have a 6 boost with single divided outlet, 8374 1.05 on a 2.6l rb26

50mm progate, 7psi spring a 4 port mac valve.

no creep above 10psi of boost. below this you are asking too much flow through the gate. the lowest boost run was with the boost solenoid unplugged from ecu.

dyno.jpg.6cbb35ab9e99fa412a875b1f8824b75d.jpg

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, burn4005 said:

yep i have a 6 boost with single divided outlet, 8374 1.05 on a 2.6l rb26

50mm progate, 7psi spring a 4 port mac valve.

no creep above 10psi of boost. below this you are asking too much flow through the gate. the lowest boost run was with the boost solenoid unplugged from ecu.

dyno.jpg.6cbb35ab9e99fa412a875b1f8824b75d.jpg

great result, is max boost around 28psi? i have same turbo setup, except will be on 2.8 with vcam, looks like i need to step it up to 8474 at the very least

I would definately go a 8474. this turbo is at absolute full speed. on the 490kw trace you can see the boost drop at 7500rpm. that is the boost target dropping to stop it going over 128krpm.

this is the VE calculated airflow ive overlayed over the compressor map. nothing left.

8374.png.ae22450840399bd1576ae84f0bd7eebb.pngthis is the VE

• Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 1:45 AM, RB335 said:

Making 50% of max power by 4500, that's amazing.  Tempting me to switch from my 8474 to twin 6258s

Is anybody able to take measurements of the EFR9280 compressor, I'm seeing if I have enough clearance on my engine to run and test it compared to the 9180 which I have on me which fit fine on a 6boost T4 in a R33 GTR engine bay

got dyno chart, i recall you also running 2.8 with vcam

• 3 weeks later...