SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

Thought this may interest some of you. 1.5J with the IWG 8374 EFR controlled my an EMtron KV8. DBW is a 68mm Bosch unit and the second DBW output is controlling an electronic wastegate actuator from the new 2020 supra (which is also a 3L motor and BW turbo)

The control strategy is interesting, but seems to work well and having the actual position of the gate is pretty cool.

17 hours ago, cachorro said:

Hi all. I’m currently installing my EFR7670 setup on my R33 GTR and have some questions on finishing it up

1. Should i route the water feed line from the feed line coming from the back of the engine and T to the block, similar to the stock turbos setup? Can I just do the water feed from the block near cylinder 5 without having to bring in the rear line from the other side of the motor?
  2. Should I follow BW’s directions and plug the water feed on the bottom side and water return from the top side of the turbo? 
  3. What’s the max boost I should consider? I know it runs on the smaller side but want to avoid over spinning the turbo (it’s a EWG 1.05 AR)

1:The water feed on the RB comes out of the block under cylinder 5. The T above the turbos is the return and actually returns it to 2 locations, the top radiator hose and also back around into the underside of the plenum. I believe its got something to do with balancing for the thermostat not being open perhaps? Either way you could just feed it straight back into there, but a lot of people just feed it back only to the radiator hose around the front of the cam covers and delete the entire rear line with no issues.

2: If possible, yes. Feed should be lower, return higher, and side to side. However if you can't do any of these things then try do as much as you can. Shouldn't be to much of an issue with a RB in a R chassis though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cachorro said:

1. What’s the max boost I should consider? I know it runs on the smaller side but want to avoid over spinning the turbo (it’s a EWG 1.05 AR)

The easy and logical way to know would be to run a speed sensor. No one can tell you what the max boost can/will be.

On 31/08/2020 at 5:59 PM, Full-Race Geoff said:

we've been working on these setups quite a lot.  The electronic actuator from the b58 supra has 20mm stroke which is a little bit long IMO but it does work!

In what use cases does an electronically controlled wastegate make the most sense?

Small engine w/ small turbo, sm engine /w big turbo, big engine w/ sm turbo, big engine w/ big turbo?

2 hours ago, MotHot said:

In what use cases does an electronically controlled wastegate make the most sense?

Small engine w/ small turbo, sm engine /w big turbo, big engine w/ sm turbo, big engine w/ big turbo?

Any turbo you want complete authority over.

They aren't affected my exhaust back pressure and you can run any pressure you want at any time. No minimum spring etc.

On 02/09/2020 at 1:27 PM, Full-Race Geoff said:

^^^^ if you want the wastegate to open it does.  if you want the wastegate to close, it does.  these MHI actuators mean we are no longer constrained by mechanical spring forces and pressure differentials

How much more work is it to get something like this setup working?

I bought a turbosmart actuator for my IWG 7064 (on a rb25det), which I haven't installed yet.

Not sure if I should go to an electronic actuator instead.

1) Can your ECU drive it? Spare DBW output or external h bridge driver and control strategy.

2) Do you have the space? Sticks out further

3) Price. RRP for these in Aus is $600+ just for the actuator.

I designed my setup so I could revert back to pneumatic easily.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested here's my Evo 9 and 7670 1.05 result. Alternator was getting sad so we capped it at that for now. Turbo speed is 126K out of 140k so there's still a bit left in the tank. We also capped torque at 670nm to keep my gearbox happy. My tuner believes there's probably around 420kw & 700+nm of torque in it on full send mode. 

20200922_190355.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hi peeps, got engine run-in and tuned by Jez few days back

Results

IMG_20201014_194813_985.thumb.jpg.e9b4cf1cc7bf70c1ae00dd94647e28bf.jpg488kw on EFR8374 1.05, boost around 27psi and tapers back up top, E85 (red) 98 (green)

2.8 nitto stroker with v-cam

received_825612788207813.thumb.jpeg.33c49abd6bc21348a33c04c9b38e10ce.jpegreceived_1047539152340922.thumb.jpeg.cb6e5aab6bd40efa49d17201d62243d4.jpeg

Full boost around 4k during dyno run (boost is filtered so doesn't show real response) but in steady state load tuning it makes 27psi by 3300rpm

1000nm torque by 5k

• Like 7

Nice result mate bet she's good fun to drive! 8374 really is 1 of my favourite turbos! They are very beastly to drive! Do you have a turbo tacho? Know what RPM you're at?

My car goes in for the last few psi in a couple weeks. It will turn all 4 in 1st now so see if she can make the tyres scream in 2nd with the last few psi haha! 

The 7670 is also a little beast to drive on the street 

• Like 2

I’ve been following it for a while. I think it will be brilliant. Will definitely consider giving it a go. It potentially makes a too big for your application turbo now get up on boost a heap quicker and then still maintain most or all of your top end,what’s not to love!!??

• Like 1

I spoke with a top person over at Turbosource today and they expect to have these ready to ship in 3 months. HPacademy is on board to do a review/overview video soon. A/R will increase to 1.20 so it will get you the down low and better up top over the 1.05. Claim is a minimum of 600rpm better response everywhere.. Building a V-cam 2.6 so I hope combined with this unit I will have a good responsive Rb26

27 minutes ago, brian_s30z said:

I spoke with a top person over at Turbosource today and they expect to have these ready to ship in 3 months. HPacademy is on board to do a review/overview video soon. A/R will increase to 1.20 so it will get you the down low and better up top over the 1.05. Claim is a minimum of 600rpm better response everywhere.. Building a V-cam 2.6 so I hope combined with this unit I will have a good responsive Rb26

Will definitely be interested in watching this..   Don't like to add more complexity if I can avoid it, but seems like a simpler option to VCAM.   

1 hour ago, brian_s30z said:

Holy moly, that will be one insanely responsive beast! RIP your driveline! 🤣🤣

10 hours ago, Shoota_77 said:

Holy moly, that will be one insanely responsive beast! RIP your driveline! 🤣🤣

Nah, I doubt it. I already see the meme of the disappointed kid looking at paper (car meme is dyno sheet). “Spends $4k to improve response by 1,000rpm+, only gets 400rpm difference.”