SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

2 hours ago, BakemonoRicer said:

I win because my solution is the only rock solid fix at this point in time

Or, the engineer's approach to the problem? Close it up behind the inlet pipe and stop worrying about it?

Or, the engineer's who cares about aesthetics approach to the problem? Put it in the lathe and adjust that part of the inlet a little bit. Then close it up behind thee inlet pipe and stop worrying about it.

Function. Then form. Unless masturbate.

• Haha 1

2.5L STI, 8474 (gray line) vs 8374 (purple and white lines) both 1.05 a/r on full race kit

you can see the 8474 lost a small amount in the midrange, but gains it back and then some at 5000+rpm.  definitely a bigger turbo but overall may be worth the compromise if wanting more airflow than the 8374 can support

STI-8474vs8374-dyno.png

Edited by Full-Race Geoff
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2021 at 2:26 PM, 34GeeTeeTee said:

Just so people know it's not an isolated incident! This is my brand new compressor cover from a 8374 alloy supercore that I purchased to replace my old turbo which has a slight bearing noise which I put down to oil starvation due to a restrictor put in the line from the Fabricator even though it was clearly stated not to run one with this turbo.

Not only did the new cover look like shit the new turbo was overly "tight" from factory and after numerous phone calls and diagnostics with GCG I was told it was fine and to run it... Did a few warm up laps at Wakefield Part and just about melted the cold side piping and cooler due to the turbo issue as it was glowing hot!

Took the turbo back to GCG for warranty repairs and had it stripped, assessed and re-assembled with no fault found but now the turbo spins freely and spools down as it should.

Car had not been run on a track since that day as I have zero confidence in the setup and I am strongly considering selling the whole hot side and going back to a single gate, single scroll basic setup to remove potential failure points!

The turbo was only one of many issues with my cars setup, since the build it has lifted the head, gates have come loose, gate lines/fittings have melted or broken and the thing wont keep oil in the engine!

The reason my car hasn't seen the track in nearly 2 years is shonky workmanship in a big $ build and left hanging with an expensive POS that I can't drive for more than a session!

I will build it back up again and get it on track soon but I doubt it will be with an EFR still fitted!

End of rant..... Actually probably not..... 🤬

I had wondered where you had got to over the last year or two, sucks to see you having dramas mate. I knew you w ere having issues with workshop and had some unhappiness with tuner a couple of years ago but didn't realize it was still continuing!

On 6/26/2021 at 5:10 AM, Piggaz said:

Did you inspect your SR stroker kit that came from USA before it got sent to Japan or will you inspect it when it lands in Aus…. After it’s been built?

Bump for reply @BakemonoRicer

On 25/06/2021 at 2:26 PM, 34GeeTeeTee said:

I am strongly considering selling the whole hot side and going back to a single gate, single scroll basic setup to remove potential failure points!

You could go with a Sinco twin scroll manifold with a big single gate. Keeps it simpler but you still get all the benefits of a twin scroll setup.

Sinco manifolds divide all the way to the gate, unlike other big name brands that just stop at the collector (pretty pointless).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

I had wondered where you had got to over the last year or two, sucks to see you having dramas mate. I knew you w ere having issues with workshop and had some unhappiness with tuner a couple of years ago but didn't realize it was still continuing!

Bump for reply @BakemonoRicer

Yeah it wasn't by choice, but simply a case of not being able to afford to continue to fix other peoples f**k ups!

Just want to clarify, the ONLY reliable thing I had on the car was the tuner once I switched to DVS JEZ, best decision I ever made with the car and the only reason it got as far as it did!

The car will be back, it is getting work done in the background but I have purchased another race car to use to get laps in at the track whilst the 34 goes through the repair process!

11 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You could go with a Sinco twin scroll manifold with a big single gate. Keeps it simpler but you still get all the benefits of a twin scroll setup.

Sinco manifolds divide all the way to the gate, unlike other big name brands that just stop at the collector (pretty pointless).

I've used a couple of manifolds and being a vital part of the car I would hesitate to use any brand I didn't know, I'll probably ditch the EFR and return to something simple but will make that choice once I get it running again and assess the reliability of the whole setup!

I'm not shitbagging EFR in general as the power and response is fantastic, I just think the combination of what I have and who built the engine, manifolds, gates etc may be the problem! But in saying that to have a turbo fail and then another fail in a completely unrelated way from new doesn't inspire confidence... Please note this was after much diagnosis and concerned phone calls to GCG about the lack of ability to spool down etc!

I will keep at it and will post back here more often.

1 hour ago, 34GeeTeeTee said:

I've used a couple of manifolds and being a vital part of the car I would hesitate to use any brand I didn't know, I'll probably ditch the EFR and return to something simple but will make that choice once I get it running again and assess the reliability of the whole setup!

Sinco is a very well known brand :)

#teamgarrett

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a few EFR's and yes quality kept going down with every purchase.  Out of 5 EFR turbos every turbo had some sort of defect in the same general area however the 8474 was totally unacceptable / dogshit .  They were distributed by various official BW distributors from Australia, UK and USA some purchased directly, others through online resellers.  Most recent purchase 8474 was the worst.  Some of the turbos had loose shavings and ends were extremely thin like foil

It's been a while but basically the response I got was to the effect of - We or I can see it's understandably disappointing for yourself however the part works typical bureaucratic stuff.

Edited by RB335
  • Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 9:47 PM, RB335 said:

I purchased a few EFR's and yes quality kept going down with every purchase.  Out of 5 EFR turbos every turbo had some sort of defect in the same general area however the 8474 was totally unacceptable / dogshit .  They were distributed by various official BW distributors from Australia, UK and USA some purchased directly, others through online resellers.  Most recent purchase 8474 was the worst.  Some of the turbos had loose shavings and ends were extremely thin like foil

It's been a while but basically the response I got was to the effect of - We or I can see it's understandably disappointing for yourself however the part works typical bureaucratic stuff.

Thanks for sharing your unfortunate dealings with some absolutely garbage manufacturing. What would concern me also is if they let such shithouse production leave the factory on things you can see, what about the stuff you can't immediately visualise - like chra integrity, wheel construction manufacturing integrity with and rotating assembly balancing accuracy ?

Very concerning BW...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

hey fellas

anyone tell me off hand what the thread is for the Oil feed? I need to order the adapter to fit my -4 line to it, but I don't have the turbo on me. 

On 7/27/2021 at 3:17 PM, RB335 said:

The EFR8474 is my 3rd EFR turbo and after it came with compressor housing, like the one from your second video i will never get another one. All of them are with turbine housings with quality way lower than on the pictures on the websites, but this with  the compressor cover was the top.

Edited by gixer
  • Like 1

On 07/08/2021 at 7:37 PM, Roy said:

So any recent 7670 results on a 25 or 26?

Most recent I've seen, .83a/r T3 open IWG EFR7670 on a stock manifold: 

I've been hoping to go for a blat in this car, so far my limited exposure to 7670s make me suspect the 8374 is better "all round" for most RBs.  The 7670s don't have an amazing boost threshold (seems to be a few hundred rpm later at worst than what the 8374s offer) but fall quite well short of what 8374 makes

• Like 1

Okay so, read right through this thread over a couple of days. 

My Setup:

R33 GTR Circuit Purpose Build
RB26 Stock Crank
Nitto I beam Rods with ARP625
CP Coated pistons at 9:1 compression
Ported Head
Kelford 272 cams with 10.2mm lift
Custom ARE intercooler
3.5inch exhaust with a dodgy muffler and no cat
Holinger 6 Speed Sequential
6boost T4 Divided Manifold
Borg Warner EFR 8374
Speed Sensor wouldn't work so I cannot give you shaft speeds
Tuned by me, on E85

This was at 26psi. This Dyno is known to read a little low and I was having grip issues.

633rwhp.thumb.jpg.e90f452998e2b7e686e79b2579268b74.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/11/2021 at 1:40 PM, The Mafia said:

Okay so, read right through this thread over a couple of days. 

My Setup:

R33 GTR Circuit Purpose Build
RB26 Stock Crank
Nitto I beam Rods with ARP625
CP Coated pistons at 9:1 compression
Ported Head
Kelford 272 cams with 10.2mm lift
Custom ARE intercooler
3.5inch exhaust with a dodgy muffler and no cat
Holinger 6 Speed Sequential
6boost T4 Divided Manifold
Borg Warner EFR 8374
Speed Sensor wouldn't work so I cannot give you shaft speeds
Tuned by me, on E85

This was at 26psi. This Dyno is known to read a little low and I was having grip issues.

633rwhp.thumb.jpg.e90f452998e2b7e686e79b2579268b74.jpg

How much timing are you running in the top end?

Hey mate, About 18 degrees. I could sneak a bit more in but the extra timing had diminishing returns so I think the rear housing was choking up. It's a circuit race car and didn't want to push it too much. Zero knock obviously and EGTs were only 700-750 degrees so I left it at that. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got launch control set on mine and its hasn't been a problem, but I start cutting fuel at exhaust Port EGTs of 900 so I don't burn up the turbo. but I'm a pussy and don't use it often because I'm scared of destroying the Getrag.

• 1 month later...

In the process of building a nitto 3.2 mated to a PPG sequential. I went back/forth with my EFR turbo choice. I think I will go with the 9180 (twin scroll manifold w/ twin external gates). I feel like going with a 1.45 a/r since I'll be using a sequential.

Any newer takes with this turbo on with a 3.2 stroker?