SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

On 2/25/2017 at 1:04 AM, sneakey pete said:

Everyone seems to be pointing the outlet down. Except me.

Mine is sideways. Touches the hood every now and then on hard launch.

Going to turn it down soon because of that.

Moved to Haltech OPEN loop boost control. NONE, ZERO, NO PROBLEMS holding target boost, NO overshoot. Actually It's PERFECT really. I may have lost 2-300 rpm threshold in some lower gears but I'll build a "boost by gear" table for it.

HOLY SMOKES this car HAS to have 130 mph in it on pumpgas (US 93)! Excited to make it back to the track soon. Hoping the weather holds up. Last runs were 126.2 mph with boost dropping all the way down to 16 psi and slow climb back to 20 psi. It should be a rocket now.

On 2/24/2017 at 3:26 PM, Nismo 3.2ish said:

That's terrific on a 2.8, I do not get that on E85 , I top out at 461 AWKW /618awhp on a 3.2 with Vcam, but more torque x 2 ish, well done :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

My 8374 is bolted on, so should have some results in a couple of weeks, waiting for the Crank Trigger.

FYI. You will make INSANE torque with that setup. I would not be surprised to see full boost by 3000 rpms with that setup, but you'll likely be overspinning turbo past 7k. Be careful. A 9180 will fit it better. Actually I'm thinking of going 9180 in mine now to chase more pumpgas numbers.

4 hours ago, HarrisRacing said:

FYI. You will make INSANE torque with that setup. I would not be surprised to see full boost by 3000 rpms with that setup, but you'll likely be overspinning turbo past 7k. Be careful. A 9180 will fit it better. Actually I'm thinking of going 9180 in mine now to chase more pumpgas numbers.

Yeah , it was suggested that I go to the 9180 and it would still be a little better than the 6266, I would not have gone to the expense for " a little better " trying for " a lot better " but I am sure the 9180 would have been a better turbo for most people with this type of build but I have been doing everything to get the best early response from my car.

Everything has been checked out,  had a Turbo Speed sensor fitted,  a full fuel system upgrade from the surge tank lines to the motor, fabrications to fit 8374 with oil and water lines done and a crank trigger. Everything should be sweet, well? ish!

I am sure when it is finished and tuned,  it will be set up as safe as can be and I will watch the rest.

I am not after numbers and most things I have done have lowered the top end from what it could have been, it is totally a street car.

• Like 5

I think the next thing I would do is vcam on my setup...to get idle quality back and pickup a bit on top end...maybe run redline to 8500. Moving the cams 8deg closer made a monster difference in torque. If i were clean slating my setup again i would go dual efr full-race setup in addition to that!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:14 AM, HarrisRacing said:

Moved to Haltech OPEN loop boost control. NONE, ZERO, NO PROBLEMS holding target boost, NO overshoot. Actually It's PERFECT really. I may have lost 2-300 rpm threshold in some lower gears but I'll build a "boost by gear" table for it.

HOLY SMOKES this car HAS to have 130 mph in it on pumpgas (US 93)! Excited to make it back to the track soon. Hoping the weather holds up. Last runs were 126.2 mph with boost dropping all the way down to 16 psi and slow climb back to 20 psi. It should be a rocket now.

My tuner will be working on my efr car in the next month or so and in the past they've mentioned having problems with boost creep/spikes. They went to the turbosmart dual ports on other cars which seems to have fixed the problems but I don't know if they stuck it out with closed loop. I went with the dual port actuator ahead of time to save the trouble.

Are you in an elite or PP haltech? What kind of duty are you seeing?

was PP. Just sold it... moving to ecu master black. I did not like haltechs closed loop boost control. I think in the 30-35% duty on the dual port wastegate actuator at 28hz to hit 20 psi with the 4 port mac valve.

The 8374  had a run on the Dyno on Thursday. It was on pump 98  at 20psi , probably going for around 23psi on 98

The tuning should be finished next week.

It is better than my last tune with the 6266 on E85 up to 6000rpm but the gears used were different , 5th gear 6266 and 4th gear 8374 , I am not sure what difference it makes, so ?

The tune looks good but I think driving it will be the true test of the 8374

First Dyno run Attached

NISMO1 98RON 20psi.pdf

• Like 1

On 31/03/2017 at 4:06 AM, HarrisRacing said:

was PP. Just sold it... moving to ecu master black. I did not like haltechs closed loop boost control. I think in the 30-35% duty on the dual port wastegate actuator at 28hz to hit 20 psi with the 4 port mac valve.

Link + Synapse wastegate + 3 port mac valve

2013.11.21 Boost curve 001.jpg

The 8374  had a run on the Dyno on Thursday. It was on pump 98  at 20psi , probably going for around 23psi on 98
The tuning should be finished next week.
It is better than my last tune with the 6266 on E85 up to 6000rpm but the gears used were different , 5th gear 6266 and 4th gear 8374 , I am not sure what difference it makes, so ?
The tune looks good but I think driving it will be the true test of the 8374
First Dyno run Attached
NISMO1 98RON 20psi.pdf

When you get final tune i would like to see the difference in the dyno charts of 6266 and 8374

2 hours ago, HarrisRacing said:

When you get final tune i would like to see the difference in the dyno charts of 6266 and 8374

Even now it is looking pretty good against that, Speaking to the boys and they also said it will also drive a LOT differently. I also had a look at another blokes Dyno on a 8374 and my 6266 graph looks like it should have smashed his but his had better throttle and transient response , I had .2Lt more and Vcam ?

Here is the 6266 Gen 2 Dyno

98 & E85 last Dyno (2) JEZ.jpg

8374 pump.JPG

9 hours ago, HarrisRacing said:

By the way , that tune is just work in progress, it was not completed on the 98, it was the first info I received ,  just thought I would toss it in and see where it goes from there, if anything ??

Finally had a professional tune mine the other day (rb28 9:1  Tomei procam 260/10.25 8374 t4 .92 iwg double acting turbosmart actuator)  The tuner asked me if I wanted the cams set for response or top end (light switch) . In Japan they still have the old school singles with not many efrs around so they always ask that question, probably why HKS made vcam.

Anyway I said response please, and when I picked it up and asked if he adjusted the cams he said he didn't have to and was totally amazed by the turbo response.

The cams are set as per Tomei spec card, I will get him to adjust them another day. 

I get full boost 1.5 kg around 3800rpm  and around 450kw rear wheels on Jap 98 hi oku, not sure what gear it was done in (maybe 5)  its a getrag with vspec r33 diff 4.11

The green line by itself is low boost 1.0kg

マイク33.jpg

dynorun_33gtr.mp4

• Like 2

No speed sensor fitted, when I ran all sorts of scenarios on matchbot it came close to the max but was always under.

A few times with the old single acting efr supplied high boost actuator it would stick and it would hit 35 psi sometimes, no doubt oversped then.

I will probably fit one just out of interest and send it to my Plex SDM dash.  They're a great dash and configurable (can)

Edited by Meathead
shit spelling

I got my new ecu master black in yesterday. I also have the road rage gauge here in box and sensor. I'll be wiring it up and starting tuning this weekend hopefully. I'll keep you posted on speeds. I was out of I/O on the platinum and freed them up on the emu.