SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

On 2017-4-27 at 9:58 AM, Full-Race Geoff said:

both are good turbos.  7163 is typically much more popular because when run in twinscroll config -  the spool is similar to 6758 with much more airflow. 

the mixed flow turbine wheel in the 7163 has higher strength and lower inertia than an equivalent radial turbine wheel.  Interestingly the mixed flow aero did not work nearly as well when it was scaled up to the larger wheel sizes

Thanks for the response Geoff. I will definately be going with the T4 Twinscroll .80 A/R IWG housing. Just how similar will the spool be?

Back on page 13 disco asked what would be a better suit (7163/6064) for an RB25DET and this is what you had to say.

On 2016-11-8 at 0:30 AM, discopotato03 said:

So Geoff do you still think TS IW 7163 over 7064 for a street RB25DET

It's still hard to say.  Ive got some tuners who swear by the 7064.  Yet there are others who love the 7163.  I think the decision ultimately depends on the boost level and max rpm for a given EMAP level.  No question the 7163 will come into boost sooner, but it does have considerably higher backpressure - and the standard 7163 inlet is a 2.5" (non ported shroud) which can be prone to surge in applications with lower VE.  For example YB cosworth works better on 7064 than 7163 and I suspect RB20 would be similar

Did you mean to say RB25? Or will the 7163 really fall over up top on an RB20?

My results won't be anything to write home about as the setup/goal is now super conservative.

It's 7670 with T4 TS (1.05) EWG on a RB28 Neo, aiming at 300KW on 98.

Will post up my impressions though, coming from a GTX3582 on the same motor, but most would expect a setup like mine to be a 8374 on E85 making 600KW but three broken blocks later I am just going wildly in the direction of overkill for safety :P

Having recently driven a GTX3076R Twin Scroll on a SR20, I do wonder if a lot of the EFR joys is partly/mainly due to Twin Scroll joys. I would love to see a result as below on a single scroll EFR to see what the impressions were there.

10 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

My results won't be anything to write home about as the setup/goal is now super conservative.

Will post up my impressions though, coming from a GTX3582 on the same motor, but most would expect a setup like mine to be a 8374 on E85 making 600KW but three broken blocks later I am just going wildly in the direction of overkill for safety

Having recently driven a GTX3076R Twin Scroll on a SR20, I do wonder if a lot of the EFR joys is partly/mainly due to Twin Scroll joys. I would love to see a result as below on a single scroll EFR to see what the impressions were there.

600 Kw with a 8374? At the epicentre of the sparkplug....maybe!!!

10 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Will post up my impressions though, coming from a GTX3582 on the same motor, but most would expect a setup like mine to be a 8374 on E85 making 600KW but three broken blocks later I am just going wildly in the direction of overkill for safety :P

3 broken blocks, you're doing it wrong! 

Keen to see how the EFR responds on the road vs the gtx

Ahhh right right, thought it was yours!! The twins still. I got a precision you can have [emoji23][emoji23].

Ordered my efr today too [emoji1377]

1 minute ago, Buraz said:

Ahhh right right, thought it was yours!! The twins still. I got a precision you can have emoji23.pngemoji23.png.

Ordered my efr today too emoji1377.png

LOL, i do need a new door stop which that precision would be good for. Would make less power than my twins on a 3LTR.?

Your new turbo should be a ripper! 

Hahahahahhaha f**k you [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Might chuck it on the rotary, the thing is undrivable now.
Americans say easy 700hp at wheels lol.

Yeh man very excited!!!

19 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

I will definately be going with the T4 Twinscroll .80 A/R IWG housing. Just how similar will the spool be?

Back on page 13 disco asked what would be a better suit (7163/6064) for an RB25DET and this is what you had to say.

Did you mean to say RB25? Or will the 7163 really fall over up top on an RB20?

in twinscroll configuration the spool difference between 6758 and 7163 is typically 250-300rpm.  in singlescroll config its more dramatic, ~400-500rpm. if you take the time to get matchbot dialed in for your setup, look at the exhaust manifold delta Pressure and that will give you a clear indication.  watch the youtube videos at the bottom of the page to get started.  We have a healthy supply of 7163 and happy to offer a forum discount to anyone here

the question of whether it will fall over up top depends on:

engine displacement

engine VE

max engine RPM

boost level

emap

altitude

backpressure

IWG canister

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

Well for what its worth , I have run the car out of E85 and now on 98 pump, did about 100klms this morning and the new setup is better on 98 pump than it was on E85, everywhere , under 7000rpm, have had no need to go higher, lol. .

I do not know if it is because of my particular build but there is NO doubt in my mind it is better from idle and at boost , in every gear.

Since the surge tank wiring has been sorted the tank only gets luke warm :)

Anyone that knows my history will know I have never said this before, it is a Fn weapon , luvit  :wub:

On 29/04/2017 at 0:15 AM, Piggaz said:

600 Kw with a 8374? At the epicentre of the sparkplug....maybe!!!

On the topic of dynos which read higher than Dyno Dynamics, here is a result which may be of interest to people here.

This is from a mate who had COMPLETELY maxed out his HKS GT2530Kais on his very nicely built and setup RB28 powered R32 GT-R.  He wanted to hit 600kw at the hubs - figuring it would be enough more power to compete with people who were gapping him on straights at the track, but not so much power he should take a huge reliability tax from where he was already at.

After picking mine and a bunch of other peoples brains he decided to take the plunge and go for an EFR9180 with 1.05a/r hotside and turn it up until he hit 600kw - as it turns out, it hit 608kw @ all 4 hubs at pretty much bang on the same boost as he was running with the GT2530Kais... so here is the before and after with no other changes other than the turbo and the bits required to fit it (Trust exhaust manifold from a T88 turbo kit, fwiw) and here is the result:

No automatic alt text available.

The dyno was run in a "soft" mode as the huge amount of torque it was hitting was freaking the dyno out, so the 9180 run is actually potentially "less loaded" than the 2530 run which MAY have given it less time to build boost as well - you can still see a slight "loop" when it hits full boost and the dyno had a cry.    

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 2

Geoff, any plans to give more turbine housing options? Something like a 1.20 ish to fill the gap between 1.05 and 1.45?

12 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Geoff can I purchase EFR rear housings seperately through full race? I see you only list 1 8374 housing but none others.

yes we have all the EFR 8374 housing in stock.  Which are you needing specifically?

11 hours ago, Piggaz said:

Geoff, any plans to give more turbine housing options? Something like a 1.20 ish to fill the gap between 1.05 and 1.45?

this was examined, as well as a larger 1.68 a/r.  But the spool difference for flow increase was found to be negligible and BW engineering determined there was no benefit worthy of the investment