SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

10 hours ago, Nismo 3.2ish said:

Sounds mad :)

Please post the graph and any other info, love to see it

Here's an old graph, sorry I haven't kept new ones for years..

Only change from this graph is GTR is now running Turbosmart Twin Port Actuators and a larger Exhaust Cam.

Picked up about 30hp and had a slight improvement in response.

RB28 built by Abe (Chris Farrow), Tuned by Phil Armour. Has all the fruit. Specs on here in previous EFR thread and over 500kw Dyno page 8.

dyno677hp.jpg

• Like 1

Nice :)  Looks like it's waking up a bit earlier than the EFR9180, but also giving away a reasonable amount of flow - both of which being what you'd expect.  

It'd be very interesting to see how the EFR8474 goes if or when it comes out, seems like it could almost be the single turbo answer to this?

I must apologize for the potato quality of this, unfortunately it's all I've got - but you still get a reasonable idea of spool, acceleration etc.

This is an RB28DET with a 1.05a/r EFR9180 in an R32 GTR running on a Trust single gate manifold (from  a T88 kit) on an E35 mix, 27psi.  It's running a stock R34 GT-R transmission so he takes it pretty carefully on gear shifts, but it is making ~600kw @ 4 hubs in this video and hitting around 260kph on the straights here.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, minesskyline said:

Last dumb question: Can it be a non-GTR p/s pump? Like from the NEO motors?

I believe so yes but not 100% sure. 

I run an electric ps pump these days.

Just now, bri73y said:

Oh, interesting. Guess I could go that route too. I did see an electric p/s thread here not long ago. May go that route worst case. Thanks again. Do you have any videos of your car with the twins in action?

17 hours ago, bri73y said:

Do you run an Astra pump bri73y?

@Full-Race Geoff is there any difference (besides the obvious) between the 6758 Iron core housing (P/N# 179375) and the aluminium core housing (P/N# 11587105001). My research tells me that the aluminium housing ones were designed for indycar and that there is basically no difference between them and standard EFR's. Just wanted to double check that with you.

19 minutes ago, bri73y said:

Only change from this graph is GTR is now running Turbosmart Twin Port Actuators and a larger Exhaust Cam.

RB28 built by Abe (Chris Farrow), Tuned by Phil Armour. Has all the fruit. Specs on here in previous EFR thread and over 500kw Dyno page 8.

Had a look at the 500kw page, nice setup  :cool2:

19 minutes ago, minesskyline said:

One thing to keep in mind with the PS pumps is that R32s have a 2 circuit pump.  Front steer and rear steer are run on those two separate circuits.  If you get rid of the R32 pump and you still have HICAS working, it will stop working and need to be killed properly.

1 minute ago, GTSBoy said:

One thing to keep in mind with the PS pumps is that R32s have a 2 circuit pump.  Front steer and rear steer are run on those two separate circuits.  If you get rid of the R32 pump and you still have HICAS working, it will stop working and need to be killed properly.

Do you mean by method of a HICAS delete bar, or do you mean removed completely from the vehicle?

Just now, minesskyline said:

Do you mean by method of a HICAS delete bar, or do you mean removed completely from the vehicle?

Both.  Looking at it from the traditional direction of modification......Once you have a delete bar or proper delete kit (that also gets rid of the original tie rods and ends) then you have to loop the hydraulic lines at the rear solenoid (at the minimum) in order to keep the rear circuit of the PS pump happy.

Looking at it from the direction you would be approaching it, by changing the PS pump first.....If you're going to change to a PS pump that only handles the front steer, then there is no point in leaving the HICAS pipework and solenoids and shit in the car at all and should take the opportunity to kill it all with fire.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Do you run an Astra pump bri73y?

@Full-Race Geoff is there any difference (besides the obvious) between the 6758 Iron core housing (P/N# 179375) and the aluminium core housing (P/N# 11587105001). My research tells me that the aluminium housing ones were designed for indycar and that there is basically no difference between them and standard EFR's. Just wanted to double check that with you.

I think from memory it is a Toyota MR2 pump. Picture won't really show but here's my setup, tank above pump is for ps fluid.IMG_20141130_204004.thumb.jpg.6704d5063080a98e71f9c66b8d781479.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, GTSBoy said:

Both.  Looking at it from the traditional direction of modification......Once you have a delete bar or proper delete kit (that also gets rid of the original tie rods and ends) then you have to loop the hydraulic lines at the rear solenoid (at the minimum) in order to keep the rear circuit of the PS pump happy.

Looking at it from the direction you would be approaching it, by changing the PS pump first.....If you're going to change to a PS pump that only handles the front steer, then there is no point in leaving the HICAS pipework and solenoids and shit in the car at all and should take the opportunity to kill it all with fire.

Good to know. So, HICAS delete kit then nuke it from orbit. Got it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bri73y said:

I think from memory it is a Toyota MR2 pump. Picture won't really show but here's my setup, tank above pump is for ps fluid.IMG_20141130_204004.thumb.jpg.6704d5063080a98e71f9c66b8d781479.jpg

That is probably the nicest elec PS setup i have seen. Yeah MR2 is the other most popular option elec PS wise. Is there more pump under the battery tray? Mounting it on the intake side keeps the lines short and frees up plenty of space on the hot side to fit your favourite flavour of EFR over there.

37 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Correct - the only difference is material and corresponding weight.  The aluminum is mandatory to watercool and the steel doesnt care much.  we have these in stock with all options

2 hours ago, bri73y said:

dyno677hp.jpg

would love to see the 0.64 vs 0.85 a/r comparison if you have one?  boost plot is fine if you have it

28 minutes ago, minesskyline said:

Good to know. So, HICAS delete kit then nuke it from orbit. Got it. 

+1 good riddance to HICAS

56 minutes ago, minesskyline said:

yes, that will work perfectly.  no need for GTR ps pump, any r33 or r34 base will work.  also rb30 PS pumps supposedly work (info from a customer).  Electric PS is a benefit for race applicaitons because it takes the flammable PS fluid and moves far away from the heat of the exhaust

1 hour ago, Lithium said:

I must apologize for the potato quality of this, unfortunately it's all I've got - but you still get a reasonable idea of spool, acceleration etc.

This is an RB28DET with a 1.05a/r EFR9180 in an R32 GTR running on a Trust single gate manifold (from  a T88 kit) on an E35 mix, 27psi.  It's running a stock R34 GT-R transmission so he takes it pretty carefully on gear shifts, but it is making ~600kw @ 4 hubs in this video and hitting around 260kph on the straights here.

he is having some fun out there!  thanks for sharing the video

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Full-Race Geoff said:

Correct - the only difference is material and corresponding weight.  The aluminum is mandatory to watercool and the steel doesnt care much.  we have these in stock with all options

Excellent, thanks for the info mate.

11 minutes ago, Full-Race Geoff said:

he is having some fun out there!  thanks for sharing the video

He certainly was, it's one of the fastest street cars in NZ around a track - though the car that won the "pro street" class at this round of superlap here is an R35 GTR with twin Gen2 GTX3582Rs that honestly looks another level compared to the R35s I saw last time I went to WTAC in Sydney, it was visible briefly at the start of the in-car footage but GTFO in a hurry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lithium said:

I have questions that if answered may cost me a fair bit of money so please don't respond.

Do you have a photo of the turbo on the T88 kit, I also have that T88 kit (with my 6262) but always been scared of the clearance of the massive EFR?

Do you have a graph from the hubber, although a 9180 on a 2.8L it might give me an indication of similar of a 9174 on a 2.6L?

How can a camera even record at 240p? haha

Edited by SimonR32