SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

11 hours ago, usmair said:

Finally got my hands on a 34 GTR tail shaft.

Going to do the 34 GETRAG conversion while retaining r33 GTR diff gears for even shorter gear ratios.

8374 with even shorter ratios = super responsive street car :D

You'd think your logic is correct but you will end up rendering 1st gear fairly useless and thus turn a 6 speed back into effectively a 5 speed.

Put in R34 diffs or don't bother IMO

15 minutes ago, SimonR32 said:

You'd think your logic is correct but you will end up rendering 1st gear fairly useless and thus turn a 6 speed back into effectively a 5 speed.

Put in R34 diffs or don't bother IMO

The conversion is more so to put a stronger box in rather than chase even more response.

Need a strong box as these 5 speeds just keep popping with ~500kw and my driving style.

I'll change the diff in the future if I feel the 4.11 diff is too annoying.

Everyone I've spoken to who has done the conversion with the 32/33 diff loves it. See how we go

Need advice on turbo selection!

Built rb25 on e85 looking for 400kw roughly - Thinking EFR7670 t4 1.05a/r ewg.   

Just a street car with a bit of fun at roll racing, drags, powercruise etc.

Anyone know a off the shelf manifold that would suit? Or is fabrication always going to be required?

Also, waste gate selection? 2x40mm gates should suffice or would you go 45mm?

4 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

FYI sparesbox.com.au are having a 20% off storewide sale that ends today, that includes the EFR range. I just picked up a EFR 6758 with G type rear housing ( T4 TS .80 A/R IWG) for $2200

I was about to bring this up in the RB20 thread and then realised this was you.  Nice!

47 minutes ago, ironmcl said:

Need advice on turbo selection!

Built rb25 on e85 looking for 400kw roughly - Thinking EFR7670 t4 1.05a/r ewg.   

Just a street car with a bit of fun at roll racing, drags, powercruise etc.

Anyone know a off the shelf manifold that would suit? Or is fabrication always going to be required?

Also, waste gate selection? 2x40mm gates should suffice or would you go 45mm?

Fabrication is always going to be needed for your cooler piping and exhaust.

6boost is the closest 'off the shelf' you can get. Say goodbye to your AC though.
You may get there with 400kw on a 7670. People have done more. Too close for my liking though.
Single gate apparently you need at least a 50mm gate if you're going a 6boost. They will not warranty any less.

12 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

6boost is the closest 'off the shelf' you can get. Say goodbye to your AC though.
You may get there with 400kw on a 7670. People have done more. Too close for my liking though.
Single gate apparently you need at least a 50mm gate if you're going a 6boost. They will not warranty any less.

CRG manifold - cheaper than 6boost and I kept my aircon.

15 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

Poor collector/ wastegate design is poor

Thanks very much for replies.

In regards to 6 boost requiring a 50mm gate, I was refering to twin 40 or 45mm gates.

Fab work for cooler piping no dramas just wasnt sure how extensive it was going to be.

Will have a look at the CRG manifold now as I want to snatch a turbo while there is 20percent off. My hot side needs an upgrade :(

I should add, the AC hard line fouls on the manifold. At least, it fouls on the T4 Twinscroll manifold if you fit it to a R34 GTT. Some posts have said you can "Bend it out of the way" but mine is hitting pretty solidly right on what is ordinarily a 90 degree bend up and out of the compressor. I don't have the car right now so I can't take photos of the setup.

I expect a new hard line would need to be made up from scratch and put well, well, well away from the manifold itself.

50mm was in reference to single gate manifold, but again looking at where lines have to go and all of that I'm not entirely sure I'd want twin gates there either, it's all pretty tight and I'm a fair bit poorer from heatshielding heatshielding heatshielding.

If I could have my time again and wanted a 7670 I would get the internal gate one. Mainly for piping reasons.

I stupidly wanted EWG because the housing was bigger and wanted everything to be less hot, and I thought I could re-use my 45mm as a single. The IWG is probably just fine for 99% of people, I don't know if there's enough results to compare same turbo, same engine, IWG vs Single Gate vs Twin gate yet

Maybe if more people buy the turbos we shall see :P

I'm looking at the efr 9180 now for my rb26. 1.05 ewg. 

Upgrading a Borg Warner plain bearing. 

Is it too big? I cant decide now on 8374 or 9180.

Also changed my r34  diffs to 4.11s and couldn't be happier.

7 hours ago, Griffin said:

I'm looking at the efr 9180 now for my rb26. 1.05 ewg. 

Upgrading a Borg Warner plain bearing. 

Is it too big? I cant decide now on 8374 or 9180.

3 hours ago, Piggaz said:

All EFR's are ball bearing.

whats the current setup? What's your target?

As Piggaz alluded to, "is it too big" is all relative.  For 99% of people the 9180 is a really big turbo for a stock displacement RB26, but if you are used to big turbo life or looking for a lot of power in general then it's clearly not.

Which Borg Warner plain bearing turbo are you running?  If you have something like an S366 or possibly even an S362 then there is a reasonable chance it'll be more fun to drive than it is currently in every which way - but if you aren't making enough or aiming for enough power to justify it then you may as well go for the 8374 and have a whole different car.

Please clarify what you have and what you are aiming for

4 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Thread on the 2nd page of FI he states he wants 1000hp+ @Lithium

Ohh it's that guy! Compared to a GTX4294R it'd be a lovely drive :D

It should make just over 1000hp @ crank on E85 with an EFR9180 without overspeeding it IMHO, but definitely worth investing in a turbine speed sensor if you're going to push it.  I'd actually consider an EFR9174 with a 1.45a/r housing and be slightly restrained with cams (ie, stay away from near 280s) at this point - @Full-Race Geoff?  Any thoughts?