SAU Community

Borg Warner EFR Series Turbo's V 2.0

Piggaz

On 30.6.2017 at 0:01 PM, 34GeeTeeTee said:

Here is the ceramic coating on the gates -

Oohh, shiny :)

Looking forward to your results, hope everything comes together nicely!

On 7/2/2017 at 1:25 AM, MotHot said:

Oohh, shiny

Looking forward to your results, hope everything comes together nicely!

So far so good! Nearly ready for the tune... Just been tidying up some small stuff while its at Fabtech... 

It all runs and is nice and quiet with the new stainless exhaust system... It no longer sounds like a tug boat at idle :laugh:

Will be interesting to see what it sounds like at full noise!

Where's all the twins at?!?!?!!?

Here's my lump of coal. Scooped these baddies up in 2012 and they got installed just 3 months ago. Long story short this build has been in the toilet since 2011 and has gone through 2 builds which neither lasted. These 5 year old turbos ran for 2 seconds (total time since purchase lol) just a few days ago, literally, and the tomei engine failed due to seized exhaust cam on bearing cap 1. Anyway, maybe some day I'll have dyno charts for them. Don't mind all the colors, ran out of budget for paint lol.

19368988_10158755349590104_750265739_o.png

19512337_10158812347915104_1849241014_n.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah. We're about to have our third kid which I didn't have any when I started this build but every time it slows me down. Hopefully I don't part out. Would love to get into a Focus RS though, cheaper and warranty lol

quick question for those running an 8374 or larger,

got the 8374 running a few weeks ago and mine makes a bit of a siren sound during low rpm spool that I'm used to with things like  HKS T51R turbos and the like, but is the siren sound normal on the B2 Frame EFRs?

sounds like the full race R14 in this video but not as loud.

That sound to me if it was a non anti-surge cover turbo would signal a damaged turbo. looking around youtube it appears some do it and some don't, could be camera mics or something I guess?

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 1

9174 is going on a mates car, Nitto 2.7 with head work.

engine should be done in a few weeks.

I've got ~460awkw on the 8374 on my car and that's enough for me, my getrag and my clutch for the time being.

but if the 9174 turns out to be a no brainer then I guess I'll be doing it too eventually..I'm holding off for a black series 8474  for the time being if that ever happens.

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, burn4005 said:

9174 is going on a mates car, Nitto 2.7 with head work.

engine should be done in a few weeks.

I've got ~460awkw on the 8374 on my car and that's enough for me, my getrag and my clutch for the time being.

but if the 9174 turns out to be a no brainer then I guess I'll be doing it too eventually..I'm holding off for a black series 8474  for the time being if that ever happens.

Sorry I may have missed your results, what capacity is your engine and what exhaust housing do you have on the 8374. 460awak @ what boost?

engine is 2.63l (87mm)

1.05 rear housing, about 30psi and full boost reached at about 4700rpm. could probably lean on it a bit more timing wise up top and a bit more to do on cams (260 poncams)

6 boost single waste gate manifold with divider to the valve face.

quite similar result to FAT33R.. I suspect he's making a fair bit more up top due to the screamer.

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 1

unfortunately no sensor, will be doing further dynoing soon to improve TPS boost control, throttle enrichment stuff and Map the atessa duty to a torque split ratio value.

I have a sensor on the turbo now.

will FINALLY also get some high speed logs (100hz) of turbo response off boost, between gears, coasting high rpm to WOT etc. i think we're all due for those numbers after 7 years of talking about the response of an EFR!

Edited by burn4005
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, burn4005 said:

unfortunately no sensor, will be doing further dynoing soon to improve TPS boost control, throttle enrichment stuff and Map the atessa duty to a torque split ratio value.

I have a sensor on the turbo now.

will FINALLY also get some high speed logs (100hz) of turbo response off boost, between gears, coasting high rpm to WOT etc. i think we're all due for those numbers after 7 years of talking about the response of an EFR!

How do you find it, data aside?

17 hours ago, burn4005 said:

engine is 2.63l (87mm)

1.05 rear housing, about 30psi and full boost reached at about 4700rpm. could probably lean on it a bit more timing wise up top and a bit more to do on cams (260 poncams)

6 boost single waste gate manifold with divider to the valve face.

quite similar result to FAT33R.. I suspect he's making a fair bit more up top due to the screamer.

Would be interesting to see your mph.

Mine was 2psi short on the night and i ran 134mph so id expect 136-138mph with 31psi down its throat. 

I have the car back. First test drive around the street was positive. Way, way, better tham the old tomei ARMS (that being said that's not a huge compliment)

Things making boost easily, can comfortably drive it around the streets with no dramas. It does still feel like a big turbo though, part of me does think that maybe i should have got a 7670. That being said i'm sure that will change with E85 and timing and making more than 400kw with more boost.

Is it tuned?  Or is this just running around on the previously mentioned 7-9psi?    There is definitely no magic, these things (particularly the 8374 and the 9180) are still large turbos - they just are very responsive for the flow they provide.  E85 and well over 400kw will make it all make much more sense :)

yes, still just on 98, 7psi spring in the gate; no boost control, and only 9 degrees of timing if i remeber correctly.
In the coming days i'll sort out a few gremlins and get the courage up to actually venture a bit further and out into the countryside and get a better idea of how it performs, so i'll have some more detailed thoughts then.